Connect with us

News

Updated: Terrorists takes over Kuje federal prisons, releases hardened criminals

Kuje
Spread the love

Boko Haram fighters have seized control of the prisons in Kuje, an Abuja suburb, freeing hardened criminals into the nation’s capital.

Advertisement

The insurgents stormed the facility at about 10:00 p.m., detonating explosives and opening live rounds on state agents guarding the facility, according to a senior government official.

“Suspected Boko Haram attackers have just seized the prisons from our control,” an official said to Peoples Gazette. “They have destroyed the prison and we don’t know what they plan to do next.”

Advertisement

The official could not immediately elaborate on the unfolding chaos at the prison, which holds suspects ranging from disgraced police chief Abba Kyari to infamous terror masterminds.

“All major, biggest terrorists, armed robbers and kidnappers have escaped,” a top security source told The Gazette.

Advertisement

Residents in the areas have also confirmed hearing loud noises believed to be explosives and gunfire.

Soldiers and other security personnel around the facility reportedly fled when the attackers arrived in “over 1,000 motorcycles,” per our sources.

Advertisement

Another prison source told The Gazette some high-profile suspects did not escape during the attack, which lasted about three hours.

“Abba Kyari, Farouk Lawan and other white-collar detainees are still here,” a top prison source said. “But most of the violent criminals and terrorists have been released.”

Advertisement

A spokesman for the Nigerian Correctional Service and the FCT police did not immediately return requests seeking details about the incident late Tuesday.

The attack comes as insecurity inundated President Muhammadu Buhari and his security chiefs. Earlier on Tuesday, the administration confirmed an attack on the president’s convoy in his home Katsina state.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Bukky

    July 6, 2022 at 6:59 am

    It’s a complete shame the way the country is run by this so-called terrorist groups.i don’t understand how we have adults in power who are powerless

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

80 percent of Nigerians expose to one form of trauma, stress – Fr Ethusani

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

By Francesca Iwambe, Abuja

A Roman Catholic priest and the Executive Director, of the Lux Terra Leadership Foundation, Rev. Fr. George Ehusani, has said that about 80 per cent of Nigerians have been exposed to one form of trauma stress or the other in the cause of their lives.

Advertisement

Fr. Ehusani made this disclosure during the 2022 National Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Association of Industrial and Organisational Psychologists in Abuja.

Fr Ehusani lamented that a major part of the 62 years of Nigeria’s independence, has been characterised by suffering, pain, distress, and outrightly traumatising experiences for individuals, families, and communities.

Advertisement

He said: “No wonder we hear the expression these days, that “Nigeria has happened to him!” or “Nigeria has happened to her!” To pick up our history of trauma from post-independence times, is not to ignore the brutal and ignominious legacy of the trans-Atlantic and trans-Sahara slave trade, which lasted for over four hundred years, and was sustained by the greed, the wickedness.

“And the callousness of our local leaders, (the Chiefs, Obas, Obis, and the Sarkis), who conspired with the unscrupulous foreign merchants to prosecute the reprehensible trade in human cargo, until the Whiteman changed his method of exploitation from slave trade and slave labour in the Americas, to colonialism, and then compelled our autochthonous conquerors to toe the line.

Advertisement

“Thus, the present generation of Nigerians are descendants of the perpetrators as well as the survivors of that most callous and notorious shade of man’s inhumanity against man, by which fellow human beings were raided, sold into slavery, and shipped across the Atlantic Ocean to a land of no return, or they and generations of their descendants were condemned to a dehumanising life of servitude within the country.

“Following closely after the four hundred years of slave trade was another one hundred years of colonial exploitation, which has left behind devastating consequences on the individual and corporate psyche of Nigerians, as indeed is the experience with people of other colonised African countries. With the short time available for this presentation, I resolved to limit myself to post-independence Nigeria, and the series of traumatising events that have turned us into such a wounded and hurting group of people, that are constantly acting out our individual and intergenerational traumas in wounding and hurting our fellow sufferers.

Advertisement

Explaining further how the trauma was dated years back, the Catholic Cleric said; “The Operation Wetie of Western Nigeria that started in 1962, to the 1966 Coup and the infamous pogrom against Igbos that followed in the North, which all culminated in the unfortunate civil war of 1967 to 1970, an event that unleashed unprecedented horror on individuals, families and communities, the same civil war that was the excuse for the Asaba Massacre of October 7, 1967, when callous or vengeful officers of the 2nd Division of the Nigerian Army ordered the execution in cold blood, of over 700 unarmed men and boys, who assembled in one location to welcome the Federal troops upon the liberation of the Midwest from the Biafran Army”.

He added that hundreds of others were rounded up from their homes, their farms or their hiding places and executed. It is reported that the massacre was so comprehensive, so total, that there were no men left to bury the dead. While many of the victims were buried in mass graves, some courageous women and girls dragged the corpses of their fathers and husbands, and uncles and brothers, from where they were executed to their homes, where they used hoes to dig shallow graves for the dead.

Advertisement

“There is the story of a particular boy who witnessed the soldiers asking a young man to dig his own grave, and thereafter callously pushing him into the grave with a torrent of bullets! There is hardly any family in Asaba that did not lose three or four male members – fathers, sons”, he explained.

Fr Ehusani who further lamented that Nigerians are all victims of the ongoing trauma stressed the need to create more awareness in addressing the growing menace.

Advertisement

“After creating public awareness and inspiring some measure of sensitivity to the reality of intergenerational, communal, and personal trauma in the Nigerian society, the next challenge before the professionals in the psychological sciences will be that of spearheading the transformation of our families, communities, organisations and institutions, including religious organisations, corporate organisations, schools and college, government offices, legislative houses, police stations and courtrooms as well as hospitals and correctional centres, etc, into trauma informed organisations and institutions.

“The process will involve a workplace culture that takes into critical account available knowledge about trauma, about trauma prevalence, about the possible impact of trauma, and how people recover from trauma. Public Officers and Legislators, Corporate and Human Resource Managers, Judicial and Police officers and School Administrators, Teachers and Counsellors, Pastors and Imams, and young people preparing for marriage, etc., should be made to undergo some basic training in psycho-trauma awareness.

Advertisement

“For a saner society to emerge, perhaps every adult in the workplace and at home, should be introduced to the now well-known SAMHSA’s Six Principles of Trauma Informed Care which are also an imperative for Trauma Informed Leadership, and Trauma Informed Human Resource management”, Fr Ehusani added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Security tips: Stop Flaunting Wealth On Social Media-DSS advises Nigerians

Ogun, Defence
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Kayode Sanni Arewa

The Department of State Services (DSS) has warned Nigerians against flaunting wealth on social media to avoid possible harmful situations.

Advertisement

In a statement published by Vanguard, the secret police warned that reckless display of wealth could attract the attention of violent criminals, especially kidnappers and armed robbers..

DSS said these criminals are always on the watch out for an opportunity to strike, stressing that open display of opulence at a time that criminality is getting more sophisticated and violent, does not make sense.

Advertisement

The statement reads, “To show they are not only mandated to protect the government and the state alone, the Directorate of State Services, DSS, routinely issues public security advisories to enable the citizenry play their role in their own security and that of society.

Apart from advisories on possible terror attacks, the Service also harps on the need for upwardly mobile individuals, especially the youth, to desist from the growing fad of reckless display of material wealth so as not to attract the attention of violent criminals, especially kidnappers and armed robbers.

Advertisement

It is common to see young people displaying their fleet of flashy cars, newly completed and luxuriously furnished mansions and raw cash to show they have “blown” (made it). Some get themselves conspicuously videoed spraying bundles of cash at ceremonies and post it to the social media for maximum publicity. Others ask members of the public to drop their account numbers to receive financial windfalls.

Coming at a time that criminality is getting more sophisticated and violent, this fad simply makes no sense. These criminals are always on the watch out for an opportunity to strike. Even if the wealth flaunter adequately secures himself or herself, what about their loved ones who are put at risk?

Advertisement

The unfortunate thing is that what these individuals see as “wealth” is not much in real terms, particularly if they have no sure means of sustaining the income. Many celebrities have flaunted wealth only to turn beggars a few years down the road.

We advise anyone who feels he or she has arrived materially to apply common sense. They should save for the rainy day which is sure to come. They should acquire financial education and invest wisely to secure their future. They should borrow a leaf from accomplished, genuinely wealthy industrialists like Aliko Dangote, Cosmas Maduka, Folorunsho Alakija and others who live humble lifestyles despite their enormous wealth.

Advertisement

It is unfortunate that our law enforcement agencies, especially the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC; the federal and state tax agencies and others, are not doing enough to clamp down on people who display wealth, verify their sources and tax them appropriately.

These agencies must wake up and act. Adequate taxation and moderation of the excesses of citizens are parts of the functions of governance. These wealth advertisers portray the moral rot in society. They unwittingly send the wrong signals, especially to fellow youth to pursue material wealth by all means, thus worsening the crime rates in society.

Advertisement

Those who have actually made it and want to benefit the less privileged ones should emulate singer, David Adeleke (Davido), who once raised N200 million and added N50 million from his pocket which he donated to orphanages around the country. Let there be sanity.”

END

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Fire guts one-storey building in Ebonyi

storey
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Kayode Sanni Arewa

A one-storey building, located on Udensi Street, in the Abakaliki metropolis, has been gutted by fire, NaijaBlitzNews.con reports.

Advertisement

The fire incident, which started at about 1.30 pm, on Friday, has left many tenants of the affected building devastated.

Sources said the incident was a result of a surge in the voltage of the electricity supply in the area, which happened intermittently between 9 am and 1:30 pm before the incident started.

Advertisement

One of the tenants of the burnt property, Mr Onuigbo, said the heavy nature of the fire, hindered him from salvaging any of his belongings from the building.

The Controller of the Ebonyi State Fire Service, Ibiam Raphael, confirmed the incident, saying work was still ongoing to eventually put the fires off.

Advertisement

Details later…

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories