Connect with us

News

Joshua To Get 40% From Fury Clash

Spread the love

By Emmanuel Agaji

Advertisement

Anthony Joshua has officially accepted Tyson Fury’s offer for their ‘Battle of Britain’ showdown and with this, has now paved the way for the biggest fight in British boxing history.

Joshua was on the surprising end of a callout from Fury, who is not willing to wait till 2023 for an undisputed clash with Ukrainian, Oleksandr Usyk.

Advertisement

Joshua was offered a 40 per cent split of what would be a record-breaking haul to fight the Gypsy King.

The news comes after Fury’s promoter Frank Warren confirmed on Tuesday that he would be sending Joshua an official written offer for a fight against Fury.

Advertisement

A date in early November was initially put on the table, but Joshua can only return by December at the earliest following last month’s defeat to Usyk.

 

Advertisement

Fury also wants to include a rematch clause and Joshua’s team are happy with the terms, as long as they get the lion’s share for the second fight if they win in December.

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed they are willing to take the deal on offer after talks with Frank Warren’s son George.

Advertisement

He told iFL TV on Thursday, “We just went back this (Thursday) morning and said I spoke to AJ about that offer, we think, I think particularly he deserves more than 40 per cent.

“But, he’s happy. And I don’t make the decisions, he does. So, I went back this morning and said, ‘We accept 60/40’.

Advertisement

“We want that reversed in the rematch, rightfully so, because you’re champion here, you want the bigger split, which I think is fair.

 

Advertisement

“And we want to do the fight in December. Now, interestingly, they have December 17th, Queensberry held at the Millennium, so that’s perfect.”

Fury initially wanted to fight WBA, IBF, and WBO champion Usyk, who beat Joshua twice in the space of 11 months.

Advertisement

It would have been the heavyweight division’s first four-belt undisputed title decider.

 

Advertisement

But Fury wants to return to the ring by the end of the year and therefore turned his attention to Joshua.

However, despite having December 17th held, Fury has appeared to tell Joshua there are only two dates he’ll fight. He claimed on talkSPORT that November 26 at Wembley or December 3 in Cardiff are the dates on offer.

Advertisement

 

He said, “I have Nov 26th at Wembley or Dec 3rd. One is 11 weeks, and one is 12 weeks.

Advertisement

“If a professional athlete who’s shredded all year round can’t get himself in shape in three months, there’s a problem.”

Joshua, 32, was set to return before the end of the year against an opponent ranked within the world’s top 15.

Advertisement

But plans to build back steadily could be cast aside if the chance to challenge for Fury’s WBC belt goes from longshot to reality.

Promoter Warren backed the all-Brit bout to break the domestic PPV record with two million sales.

Advertisement

 

And if the price takes an expected increase to £30, it leaves £60million made in box office receipts alone.

Advertisement

And the last time Joshua boxed in Wales, beating Joseph Parker, 30, in 2018, around £10m was made by paying fans.

It means Joshua and Fury would be expected to clear well over £70m in PPVs and ticket sales.

Advertisement

Negotiations are only at a start but Hearn has maintained they are happy with the financial terms.

He said, “In essence, we accept the offer of 60/40 and we confirmed that this morning. Lots of conversations to be had.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

World Bank commits $8bn to Nigeria in 12 months

World Bank
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

The World Bank has committed a total of $7.93 billion in the 2022 fiscal year, which was from July 2021 to June 2022.
Data obtained from the bank’s website showed that this was an increase of 74.67 per cent from the $4.54bn recorded in the 2021 fiscal year, which began in July 2020 and ended in June 2021.

According to the World Bank, commitments covered the total amount of loans for which contracts were signed in the year specified.

Advertisement

The data obtained ran from 2018 to 2022, covering both loans from the World Bank’s International Development Association and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development.

Between 2018 and 2022, a total of $38.2bn was committed to Nigeria by the World Bank.

Advertisement

Within this period, the highest commitment of $10.45bn was in 2018.

Recall that rising debt pushed Nigeria up the World Bank’s top 10 International Development Association borrowers’ list.

Advertisement

The World Bank Fiscal Year 2021 audited financial statements, particularly the IDA financial statement, showed that Nigeria was rated fifth on the list with $11.7bn IDA debt stock as of June 30, 2021.

However, the World Bank Fiscal Year 2022 audited financial statements for IDA showed that Nigeria had moved to the fourth position on the list, with $13bn IDA debt stock as of June 30, 2022.

Advertisement

The top five countries on the list slightly reduced their IDA debt stock except Nigeria.

In a statement issued on Thursday by the World Bank, the global lender said it had approved the Nigeria State Action on Business Enabling Reforms Program-for-Results.

Advertisement

The $750 million IDA credit is expected to help Nigeria accelerate the implementation of critical actions that will improve the business enabling environment in states.

The World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, Shubham Chaudhuri, was quoted in the statement as saying, “Following the significant progress made by states on fiscal reforms through the State Fiscal Transparency, Accountability and Sustainability program, the SABER programme endeavours to offer similar support to the states to undertake critical business-enabling policy and institutional actions that will incentivize private sector development.

Advertisement

“Private sector investments remain the major vehicle to create more jobs, increase revenues to the states and improve social and economic outcomes for citizens.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Independence Day: Mimiko Expresses Hope in Nigeria’s Greatness

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

The immediate past governor of Ondo State, Dr Olusegun Mimiko said he is optimistic that Nigeria will reclaim its lost glory in the comity of nations and be great again, if all begin to do the right things.
In a press statement by John Paul Akinduro, his Special Assistant on Media and Digital Communications, the former governor urged Nigerians to be steadfast in their prayers and unshaken in their conviction as the country approaches National elections in 2023.
According to him, “As the 2023 elections draw nigh, it is time for all to walk the talk and work assiduously for equity, justice and fairness in all our dealings with one another as citizens.
“Let me restate that Nigeria’s challenges are temporary and will be surmounted if Nigerians are determined to rework its charter of association and pursue justice and fairness in choosing those who will steer the ship of the country.
“We must never forget as we race towards another election year that the country is structurally defective and that we must factor the need to, as a matter of urgency, restructure to make it easier for us to develop by creating healthy competition among the federating units.”
He tasked government at all levels to prioritize the security of every Nigerian, among many other things, where they live, work and play even as he prayed for better days for the country.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Fire service recovers two corpses, car as heavy downpour wrecks havoc in Ilorin

Service
Spread the love

By Gloria Ikibah

Advertisement

The Kwara Fire Service has said that it recovered two dead bodies after a vehicle plunged into a river at Akerebiata area in Ilorin.

Head of Media and Publicity of the service, Hassan Adekunle, in a statement on Saturday in Ilorin, said that the corpses and a Toyota Yaris car with registration number: APP544E, was recovered from a river opposite Olusola Saraki Abattoir in Ilorin.

Advertisement

“Rumour had it that the incident occurred during the Friday night downpour when the casualties were struggling to drive through the bridge and suddenly got stuck by the flood which pushed them into the river.

“In truth, the rescued work was like a joint operation. Because all the people in the neighbourhood gave their full support to the firemen throughout the operation”, Adekunle said.

Advertisement

He, therefore, advised the general public to always avoid driving whenever there is a heavy downpour.

He added that the identities of the victims were yet to be known at the time of filling this report.

Advertisement

Naijablitznews.com reports that the heavy rain, which lasted for several hours on Friday, wrecked havoc in several parts of llorin metropolis.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews