Connect with us

News

Northern Cyprus: FG requests Turkey to protect Nigerians, lists slain citizens

Cyprus, stranded
Spread the love

The Nigerian government has requested the Turkish government to ensure the safety of its citizens in Northern Cyprus.

Advertisement

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) issued on Thursday in reaction to recent developments.

Abdur-Rahman Balogun, Head of Media and Public Relations reacted to a letter purportedly written to the commission by the Turkish Ambassador.

Advertisement

The reported memo by the envoy Hidayet Bayraktar was on the welfare of Nigerians living in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).

The federal agency said no official letter was received till date, except the unsigned one being circulated in the media.

Advertisement

Balogun recalled that NiDCOM chief Dabiri-Erewa and officials visited the Turkish Embassy twice to discuss issues about Nigerians but got no response from Bayraktar.

He said petitions are received regularly from Nigerians, especially parents whose children had been victims in Northern Cyprus.

Advertisement

The spokesman lamented that a number of deaths recorded in TRNC are yet to be resolved.

Some which occurred from 2016 till date include: Ibrahim Khaleel Bello (25), son of Justice Amina Ahmad Bello of Kaduna State High Court (2020); Gabriel Soriwei, a first year student of Electrical Electronics of Cyprus International University, Nicosia.

Advertisement

Kennedy Taomwabwa Dede (28), an Eastern Mediterranean University student killed on February 1, 2018; Walshak Augustine Ngok, a student of Marine Engineering at Near East University, murdered on April 19, 2019.

Osabanjo Adeola Owoyale (33), found dead on July 1, 2019; Augustine Wallies killed on April 19, 2019; Stanley Eteimo (28); Hassan Babatunde (28); Temitayo Adigun.

Advertisement

Kubiat Abasi Abraham Okon, Oziegbe Gospower Airekugose, Olasubomi Ope were other listed victims of murder.

NiDCOM expressed optimism that the Turkish Embassy would provide a positive response to its demand for the protection of Nigerians.

Advertisement

The statement, however, clarified that the commission’s recent statement was only an advisory.

“One has the option to either key into it or ignore. It should not be misconstrued as an attempt to scare away potential travellers to TRNC.”

Advertisement

The agency added that whether it is Nigerians killing Nigerians or drug-related crimes, there is danger emanating from Northern Cyprus.

Nothing that unfortunate criminal incidents are recorded across the globe, it maintains the occurrence of such incidents is not a daily routine.

Advertisement

NiDCOM urged Turkey and TRNC authorities to take all unsolved murder cases seriously by ensuring thorough investigations.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Many Die In Bullion Van Accident

Kebbi
Spread the love

The Kebbi police command has confirmed the death of six people including three policemen in a multiple accident on Tuesday along Argungu-Birnin Kebbi road in the state.

Advertisement

The spokesman of the command, Abubakar Nafi’u, said in a statement on Wednesday in Birnin Kebbi.

“The accident occurred when a Carina E car, carrying jerry cans of PMS was suspected to have been pursued by a Nigeria Custom Service patrol team from Birnin Kebbi.

Advertisement

“On getting to Jeda village, the Carina E car had a head on collision with the Bullion van, as a result, bursting into flames and consumed three other cars.

“Consequently, a total of five vehicles and one motorcycle were burnt to ashes.

Advertisement

“Six people including three policemen also died in the inferno, while five other people and three policemen sustained various degrees of injuries and were rushed to Federal Medical Center, Birnin Kebbi for medical attention,” he said.

Mr Nafi’u said that the Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Magaji-Kontagora, had visited the accident scene.

Advertisement

“He prayed the Almighty Allah to grant the lives of the departed souls an eternal rest and give their families the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

“Magaji-Kontagora is also assuring members of the public that a thorough investigation will be carried out to unravel the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate incident,” he added.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Elderly Woman Falls On Her Knees To Pray For Peter Obi In Jos Rally

elderly
Spread the love

As political campaigns for the 2023 general elections commenced on Wednesday, a elderly woman has been captured praying for the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, during a solidarity rally held in Jos, Plateau State.

Advertisement

The Director-General of the Obi-Datti Campaign organization, Doyin Okupe, in a tweet on Wednesday disclosed that the LP candidate and his vice, Datti Baba Ahmed, will attend the Jos rally although the party is yet to commence campaigns officially.

”Today in Jos, HE Peter Obi & his running mate Datti-Ahmed, will honour an invitation from the Middle Belt forum to attend a solidarity rally. We are yet to commence our own campaigns.

Advertisement

To comfort our students, We urge the FG to quickly resolve the lingering ASSU Crisis,” the tweet read.

Amongst persons seen at the venue to welcome the LP flag bearer was an elderly woman on her knees in the midst of other supporters praying for Peter Obi at the Rwang Pam Stadium Jos, Plateau state.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

UNIBEN releases post-UTME, DE screenings date

Spread the love

The University of Benin has fixed dates for its Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and Direct Entry screenings for 2022/2023 session.

Advertisement

The university in a notice by its Registrar, Ademola Bobola on Wednesday in Benin, said the exercise would hold between Nov. 14 and 25.

Bobola said the screening would be conducted in designated centres at the Ugbowo main campus of the institution, using the Computer Based Test mode.

Advertisement

“Only candidates who applied through JAMB for the 2022/2023 UTME and Direct Entry admission and chose the University of Benin as First Choice and scoring 200 and above for UTME candidates are eligible for this screening exercise,” the registrar said.

Bobola, however, referred admission seekers to the institution to the university’s official website.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews