Connect with us

Foreign

Charles’ succession stirs Caribbean calls for reparations, removal of monarch as head of state

Charles, Prince
Spread the love

The accession of King Charles to the British throne has stirred renewed calls from politicians and activists for former colonies in the Caribbean to remove the monarch as their head of state and for Britain to pay slavery reparations.

Advertisement

Charles succeeds his mother, Queen Elizabeth, who ruled for 70 years and died on Thursday afternoon.

The prime minister of Jamaica said his country would mourn Elizabeth, and his counterpart in Antigua and Barbuda ordered flags to half-staff until the day of her burial.

Advertisement

But in some quarters there are doubts about the role a distant monarch should play in the 21st century. Earlier this year, some Commonwealth leaders expressed unease at a summit in Kigali, Rwanda, about the passage of leadership of the 56-nation club from Elizabeth to Charles.

And an eight-day tour in March by now heir-to-the-throne Prince William and his wife, Kate, to Belize, Jamaica and the Bahamas was marked by calls for reparation payments and an apology for slavery.

Advertisement

“As the role of the monarchy changes, we expect this can be an opportunity to advance discussions of reparations for our region,” Niambi Hall-Campbell, a 44-year-old academic who chairs the Bahamas National Reparations Committee, said Thursday.

Hall-Campbell sent condolences to the Queen’s family and noted Charles’ acknowledgment of the “appalling atrocity of slavery” at a ceremony last year marking the end of British rule as Barbados became a republic.

Advertisement

She said she hopes Charles would lead in a way reflecting the “justice required of the times. And that justice is reparatory justice.”

More than 10 million Africans were shackled into the Atlantic slave trade by European nations between the 15th and 19th centuries. Those who survived the brutal voyage were forced to labor on plantations in the Caribbean and the Americas.

Advertisement

Jamaican reparations advocate Rosalea Hamilton said Charles’ comments at the Kigali conference about his personal sorrow over slavery offered “some degree of hope that he will learn from the history, understand the painful impact that many nations have endured ’til today” and address the need for reparations.

The new king did not mention reparations in the Kigali speech.

Advertisement

The Advocates Network, which Hamilton coordinates, published an open letter calling for “apologies and reparations” during William and Kate’s visit.

The Queen’s grandchildren have the chance to lead the reparations conversation, Hamilton added.

Advertisement

Jamaica’s government last year announced plans to ask Britain for compensation for forcibly transporting an estimated 600,000 Africans to work on sugar cane and banana plantations that created fortunes for British slave holders.

“Whoever will take over the position should be asked to allow the royal family to pay African people reparations,” said David Denny, general secretary of the Caribbean Movement for Peace and Integration, from Barbados.

Advertisement

“We should all work towards removing the royal family as head of state of our nations,” he said.

Jamaica has signaled it may soon follow Barbados in ditching royal rule. Both remain members of the Commonwealth.

Advertisement

An August survey showed 56% of Jamaicans favor removing the British monarch as the head of state.

Mikael Phillips, an opposition member of Jamaica’s parliament, in 2020 filed a motion backing the removal.

Advertisement

“I am hoping as the prime minister had said in one of his expressions, that he would move faster when there is a new monarch in place,” Phillips said on Thursday.

Allen Chastanet, a former St. Lucia prime minister and now leader of the opposition, told Reuters he backed what he said was a “general” movement toward republicanism in his country.

Advertisement

“I certainly at this point would support becoming a republic,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Foreign

Divorce: Court orders Woman to hand over her nude photos to ex-husband because he wanted to keep it for ‘memory’s sake’

photo
Spread the love

A woman from Utah, USA has revealed her shock at being ordered by a judge to hand over a photo album of her ‘boudoir style’ nude photos to her ex-husband, after he requested them as part of their divorce.

Advertisement

The term ‘Boudoir’ is a French word that means either the bedroom or a lady’s private dressing room.

A Boudoir Photo Album is themed around this concept and contains sexually provocative photos of a lady taken by a professional photographer.

Advertisement

The lady, Lindsay Marsh said that she commissioned the photos in the early years of her marriage, and wrote ‘loving’ and intimate messages to him inside the album.

But, when she filed for divorce in April 2021 after 25 years together, her ex-husband Chris Marsh said that he wanted to keep the album, for the memories of their time together.

Advertisement

‘It’s violating and it’s incredibly embarrassing and humiliating.’ she said.

‘The only way I can hopefully protect someone else from going through the same situation is to tell my story and expose that these are the types of things that he thinks are OK.’

Advertisement

Marsh said she was shocked when her ex requested the book of photos in court.

Judge orders woman to hand over her nude photos to her ex-husband in divorce proceedings because he wanted to keep it for

Advertisement

But Judge Michael Edwards, sitting in the 2nd district court, supported her ex-husband’s claims.

As a gesture, the judge said Marsh should take the book back to the original photographer, and have a copy made, with her body edited out.

Advertisement

Marsh went to the photographer, but the photographer refused, arguing that the images were art which should not be altered.

The judge then ruled, in August this year, that she must hand the album to a third party, who would themselves edit the images.

Advertisement

‘That person is to do whatever it takes to modify the pages of the pictures so that any photographs of [Lindsay Marsh] in lingerie or that sort of thing or even without clothing are obscured and taken out,’ he wrote in a ruling according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

‘But the words are maintained for memory’s sake.’

Advertisement

Marsh said the thought of handing the book over to a stranger was even more traumatic.

She said she had to call the judge’s clerk to ensure she hadn’t misunderstood the ruling.

Advertisement

‘I just want to clarify,’ she recalled saying. ‘The judge has ordered me to give nude photos of my body to a third party that I don’t know without my consent?’

‘That’s even violating,’ said Marsh.

Advertisement

‘Because these are things that were sensual and loving that I wrote to my husband that I loved. You’re my ex-husband now.’

Lindsay Marsh is legally required to keep the originals until December, in case her ex objects to any of the edits.

Advertisement

She then plans to hold a burning party, and throw them into the fire.

‘It’s going to be amazing,’ she said.

Advertisement

Her ex-husband, Chris Marsh told The Tribune the books were full of memories, inscriptions and photos, stressing they were not ‘inappropriate-type books.’

He said: ‘I cherish the loving memories we had for all those years as part of normal and appropriate exchanges between a husband and wife, and sought to preserve that in having the inscriptions.’

Advertisement

‘As boudoir photography becomes a more common way for a couple to share intimacy, where is the line of appropriateness when they split up?’

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Foreign

The Only Place Where Rent Hasn’t Increased in 500 Years

Rent
Spread the love

For most people rent is the biggest expense they have to face each month and although the prices fluctuate, it seems to have a slight increase each year that is strongly felt for those with a lower income.

Advertisement

The increase in rent rates is due to various reasons such as economical inflation, an increase in the housing market, and of course demand.

Many people around the world don’t own a home and the criteria for getting a mortgage are becoming more demanding, therefore in today’s economical situation, fewer people identify as homeowners.

Advertisement

Our world is facing major inflation when it comes to renting, one that has not been seen in many years, and experts are only estimating that prices are going to keep rising.

Despite all this, there is one place on this capitalist earth where rent hasn’t been affected by anything for exactly 500 years.

Advertisement

Inflation has been the main reason for the increase in all prices and this is because as time goes on, more people are strengthening their purchasing power.

1$ per year in Fuggerei
This place is located on the outskirts of Augsburg which happens to be the oldest city in Germany.

Advertisement

In the small Bavarian village named Fuggerei, there is a social housing complex that hasn’t changed its rent since it has been built in 1521.

This small social housing complex is also considered to be the oldest in existence.

Advertisement

The house has been built by Jakob Fugger the Rich as he was known in the local community during the early 16th century.

It was built specifically for citizens who were below the poverty line through no fault of their own.

Advertisement

The criteria to apply for housing have also stayed the same. If someone wants to apply they need to show proof of their financial status and have no debt whatsoever.

The complex is made up of 67 houses that have been split up into 147 apartments.

Advertisement

One of the houses hasn’t been refurbished as it is used to present what Bavarian medieval houses looked like in the 16th century. Most people that live in the complex today are seniors that have a small pension.

It is amazing to see how the price has been kept the same for so long despite the complex suffering many damages through this period of 500 years due to the various wars that had taken place.

Advertisement

Destroyed and Rebuilt several times
In fact, the complex was destroyed more than three times, with the worst event taking place during the Second World War where 70% of the complex was bombed.

However, every time the complex would be demolished, it had been rebuilt accordingly to the same style and traditional architecture.
With time the apartments were renovated to stay up with the times, but the outside has been kept the same.

Advertisement

If we look at the price of something very common from 500 years ago such as bread, a loaf would have cost you around 2 cents.

500 years ahead and applying inflation the average price for bread is around 1$. If you want to visit the complex you have to pay an entrance fee that sums up to five years of rent, so around 5$.

Advertisement

Although many people have not heard about this place, it used to be quite popular in its contemporary era.

The most famous person that stayed here was actually Mozart’s great grandfather, making it special.

Advertisement

What is really special is the community within the complex that helps one another and is very welcoming to the tourists who want to visit the complex as long as they respect the laws and rules.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Foreign

Breaking: Coup In China As Xi Jinping Is Under House Arrest

Jinping
Spread the love

Rumours of a coup against Chinese President Xi Jinping are going around on social media, but experts have highlighted that there is no concrete evidence of coup or any disturbance in China so far.

Advertisement

The internet is abuzz with reports saying ‘something is up’ in China, with people’s guesses ranging from a political or military coup against President Xi Jinping to potential military activity in Western China.

The evidence cited for such guesses includes reports of cancelled passenger flights in parts of China, Xi not being seen in public for some time, and footage allegedly of military vehicles moving towards the capital Beijing.

Advertisement

However, there is neither any official comment on these guesses nor any confirmed report on military movement towards the capital.

Here we share what’s being said on social media, particularly in India, and what are the facts that we know for sure.

Advertisement

Is Xi Jinping facing a coup?

Twitter accounts with several thousands followers have shared that there has been a coup against Xi. Photographs of a successor have also appeared.

Advertisement

However, none of these updates are from verified or credible accounts and most of these accounts are of anonymous users.

Videos of alleged military movement have also surfaced.

Advertisement

“This video of military vehicles moving to Beijing comes immediately after the grounding of 59 per cent of the flights in the country and the jailings of senior officials.

There’s a lot of smoke, which means there is a fire somewhere inside the CCP. China is unstable,” said author Gordon G Chang.

Advertisement

Defence affairs writer Saurav Jha shared on Twitter that there were no flights over Tibet Autonomous Region of Cihna earlier on Saturday.

“Of direct concern to us here in India. Many Flights to Lhasa Gonggar are also being cancelled. We have to see if there is an uptick in military air traffic over the Tibetan plateau or not,“ said Jha, hinting at possible military activity in Western China that borders China, where India and China are engaged in a military stand-off for over two years.

Advertisement

What experts have said?
Most of the China experts have highlighted that there are no signs of the coup beyond commentary on social media, particularly in Indian circles.

China expert Aadil Brar noted that Xi is likely in quarantine after returning from the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit, which would explain his absence from public affairs at the moment.

Advertisement

Brar also shared flight data showing there is no disruption of flights. He further shared visuals of public briefings by senior Chinese officials, suggesting that government is functioning normally.

Journalist Zakka Jacob higlighted that Xi has a powerful institutional hold over China which makes a coup unlikely.

Advertisement

“Lots of rumours this morning about a military coup in China. Nothing credible so far. Military coups are unlikely in China because the People’s Liberation Army comes under the Central Military Commission.
Xi, as General Secretary of the Communist Party heads the CMC. The Army is that of the party, not government,” said Jacob in a tweet.

Journalist and author Ananth Krishnan also said there is no evidence so far of a coup.

Advertisement

“While Chinese politics is the blackest of black boxes, I’ve come across zero evidence in Beijing today to substantiate any of the social media rumours,” said Krishnan on Twitter, noting that the rumours have surfaced in the run up to the crucial Chinese Communist Party in which Xi is expected to secure an unprecedented third term.

The Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post has not reported about any coup or political upheaval in China at all.

Advertisement

It has posted dozens of tweets in the last 24 hours about various issues concerning China and the world, but not even a remote hint about the alleged development in Beijing.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews