Connect with us

Sport

CAF Cup: Egyptian teammates trade punches after match

CAF
Spread the love

Two teammates from Egyptian club Future FC traded blows after drawing 0-0 at BUL FC of Uganda in a CAF Confederation Cup preliminary round first leg on Saturday.

Advertisement

Eyewitnesses told AFP that veteran goalkeeper Mahmoud ‘Genesh’ Abdel Rahim and midfielder Ahmed Refaat had to be separated by other members of the team as the African club season kicked off.

The cause of the anger between ‘Genesh’ and Refaat was not immediately known, but they constantly argued with each other during the second half.

Advertisement

Apart from the verbal clashes, Abdel Rahim was kept busy and made several superb saves as BUL sought to build an aggregate lead ahead of the return match in Egypt next weekend.

But the home team could not unlock the visitors’ defence, leaving Future as favourites to win the second leg and meet Buffles Borgou of Benin or Kallon FC of Sierra Leone in a last-32 tie.

Advertisement

BUL and Future are debutants in the African equivalent of the UEFA Europa League. After three qualifying round, 16 clubs advance to the group phase, where prize money kicks in.

While Ugandan clubs have made little impact in the Confederation Cup, the competition has been won by the two Egyptian giants, Al Ahly and Zamalek.

Advertisement

Ahly and Zamalek are competing in the richer and more prestigious CAF Champions League this season, leaving Future and Pyramids to carry the Egyptian flag in the Confederation Cup.

Goals were scarce in five first legs on Saturday with five matches producing only seven and BUL and Future were among the five teams who failed to find the net.

Advertisement

The match with the most goals came in the Cameroon capital of Yaounde where African debutants AS Sante Abeche of Chad lost 2-1 at Ferroviario Beira of Mozambigue.

Abeche were forced to stage their home fixture in the neighbouring central African country because Chad does not have an international-standard stadium.

Advertisement

In another first leg in Cameroon, local club PWD Bamenda led for much of a match against Elgeco Plus of Madagascar before conceding a late goal and having to settle for a 1-1 draw.

AFP

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sport

Tobi Amusan:Why I took $50k loan to prepare for 2022 World Championships

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Tobi Amusan, the women’s 100m hurdles world record holder, says she took a $50,000 loan to aid her preparation for the World Athletics Championships earlier this year.

Amusan spoke in a chat with reporters in Lagos on Wednesday.

Advertisement

On Tuesday, the World Athletics ratified her 12.12 seconds finish at the world championship semi-final as the new world record.

Amusan became the first Nigerian world champion after she stormed to a sensational 12.06 seconds in the final — but a strong in-race tailwind which was higher than allowed meant it was not acknowledged.

Advertisement

Speaking on the circumstance leading to the historical moment in Oregon, Amusan said she was injury prone, hence the need to take the loan to enable her to stay in shape for the competition.

“Yes, definitely. I’ve got injuries a couple of times,” she said.

Advertisement

“There was so much I needed to do when it comes to my health as a professional athlete, and staying on top of my game required a lot of funding.”

The 25-year-old consolidated her feat with a gold medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games before retaining her Diamond League title to put a brilliant wrap on her season.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sport

Bukayo Saka shocked after winning England Player-of-the-Year

Saka
Spread the love

Bukayo Saka looked visibly shocked as he was handed the England Player of the Year award on Friday.

Advertisement

The Arsenal star, who edged England captain and runner-up Harry Kane and third-place finisher Declan Rice to the gong, was recognised as England’s standout performer over the last 12 months by voters.

Daily Mail reports that Saka, 21, made nine international appearances this season for the Three Lions and chalked up three goals, putting in a man-of-the-match performance during England’s 4-0 victory against Andorra on his birthday last September.

Advertisement

After a year, the Gunners winger has been offered the perfect vote of confidence from fans as England get ready to take on Italy in the Nations League, Friday night.

Reacting, Saka said in disbelief, “No way! I did not expect this, honestly. I’m honoured.”

Advertisement

“I’m so happy, I can’t put into words how happy I am. It’s really nice to be awarded this trophy, and that’s all I can really say!

“Playing for England is so special, there are so many kids who want to play football for teams and it’s really difficult, so to then get picked to play for your country, it’s another level of honour and pride in yourself.

Advertisement

“So I’m just really happy every time I get to come here, pull on the shirt and play at Wembley in front of all the fans.

“It’s a beautiful feeling,” the Daily Mail quoted him.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sport

FA Charge Cristiano Ronaldo For Improper Conduct

Ronaldo
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

By Emma Onuwa

NaijaBlitzNews reports that Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with ‘improper and/or violent conduct following the incident where he appeared to knock a mobile phone out of a supporter’s hand.

Advertisement

The incident happened at Everton’s Goodison Park after Manchester United’s 1-0 defeat last April.

Footage shared on social media showed the Portugal international appearing to smash a phone out of a young fan’s hand as he left the pitch and headed towards the tunnel.

Advertisement

Ronaldo was cautioned by police regarding the incident in August and later issued an apology to 14- year-old Jacob Harding on his Instagram account, admitting his emotions after such a damaging result had got the better of him.

United have announced they will be supporting their player in response to the charge.

Advertisement

A statement from the FA read: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for an incident that took place after Manchester United’s Premier League match against Everton FC on Saturday 9 April 2022.

‘It is alleged that the forward’s conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent.’

Advertisement

END.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews