Connect with us

Sport

Volleyball: Nigeria beat Egypt 3-0 to retain Under 19 African title for second time

Volleyball
Spread the love

The Nigeria Under 19 Boys Volleyball Team, on Sunday defeated their counterpart Egypt 3-0 to retain their title as defending champions in the 2022 Under 19 Boys African Nations Volleyball Championship in Morocco.

Advertisement

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the final match played in El Jadida, Morocco, saw Nigeria pummeled Egypt 3-0 (25-20, 25-18, 31-29).

Nigeria dictated the pace in the beginning of the first set as they led Egypt by 8-3 points before the Egyptians closed the gap.

Advertisement

The Eaglets finally got their winning by 25-20. Nigeria resumed the second set on a high note beating Egypt by 25-18.

The Egyptians began the third set on a high spirit, taking points alongside the Nigerian team.

Advertisement

Both teams took points from 25 to 25 before Nigeria eventually won by 31 to 29 points.

Adekalu Adeniyi, the head coach of the team said the players played according to instructions from the first to the third set,.

Advertisement

“We dedicate the trophy to God and the Nigeria Volleyball community. Today is my happiest day in 2022 , because Nigeria retained the trophy won in 2020.

“The players played according to the game plan from the blast of the whistle and never complained whenever they lost points.

Advertisement

“The players showed greatness from the first day of the championship and exhibited a high level of discipline during the course of play.

“I want to thank God Almighty for the opportunity given to me as the Head Coach to win the U19 African Nations Volleyball Championship again,” he said.

Advertisement

The coach said : Coach Sani Mohammed and myself won the 2018 African Youth Games title, we emerged Champions of the 2020 Under 19 Boys Championship held in Nigeria (as assistant coach); now I am lifting the trophy as the Head Coach.

“I want to also appreciate the Nigeria Volleyball Federation (NVBF) led by Musa Nimrod for the tremendous support for the success of the team as well as every Nigerian.

Advertisement

“The players still have a long way to go inspite of their superb performance.

“All the players have special qualities in them and I strongly believe that they will become National Assets in future,” he said.

Advertisement

NAN reports that Nigeria won all their games in the championship.

They won the last edition of the championship held in Abuja,Nigeria, in 2021

Advertisement

The 2022 Under 19 Men’s African Nations Volleyball Championship, which started on Sept. 1 ended on Sunday, Sept. 11, in El Jadida, Morocco.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sport

Tobi Amusan:Why I took $50k loan to prepare for 2022 World Championships

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Tobi Amusan, the women’s 100m hurdles world record holder, says she took a $50,000 loan to aid her preparation for the World Athletics Championships earlier this year.

Amusan spoke in a chat with reporters in Lagos on Wednesday.

Advertisement

On Tuesday, the World Athletics ratified her 12.12 seconds finish at the world championship semi-final as the new world record.

Amusan became the first Nigerian world champion after she stormed to a sensational 12.06 seconds in the final — but a strong in-race tailwind which was higher than allowed meant it was not acknowledged.

Advertisement

Speaking on the circumstance leading to the historical moment in Oregon, Amusan said she was injury prone, hence the need to take the loan to enable her to stay in shape for the competition.

“Yes, definitely. I’ve got injuries a couple of times,” she said.

Advertisement

“There was so much I needed to do when it comes to my health as a professional athlete, and staying on top of my game required a lot of funding.”

The 25-year-old consolidated her feat with a gold medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games before retaining her Diamond League title to put a brilliant wrap on her season.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sport

Bukayo Saka shocked after winning England Player-of-the-Year

Saka
Spread the love

Bukayo Saka looked visibly shocked as he was handed the England Player of the Year award on Friday.

Advertisement

The Arsenal star, who edged England captain and runner-up Harry Kane and third-place finisher Declan Rice to the gong, was recognised as England’s standout performer over the last 12 months by voters.

Daily Mail reports that Saka, 21, made nine international appearances this season for the Three Lions and chalked up three goals, putting in a man-of-the-match performance during England’s 4-0 victory against Andorra on his birthday last September.

Advertisement

After a year, the Gunners winger has been offered the perfect vote of confidence from fans as England get ready to take on Italy in the Nations League, Friday night.

Reacting, Saka said in disbelief, “No way! I did not expect this, honestly. I’m honoured.”

Advertisement

“I’m so happy, I can’t put into words how happy I am. It’s really nice to be awarded this trophy, and that’s all I can really say!

“Playing for England is so special, there are so many kids who want to play football for teams and it’s really difficult, so to then get picked to play for your country, it’s another level of honour and pride in yourself.

Advertisement

“So I’m just really happy every time I get to come here, pull on the shirt and play at Wembley in front of all the fans.

“It’s a beautiful feeling,” the Daily Mail quoted him.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sport

FA Charge Cristiano Ronaldo For Improper Conduct

Ronaldo
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

By Emma Onuwa

NaijaBlitzNews reports that Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with ‘improper and/or violent conduct following the incident where he appeared to knock a mobile phone out of a supporter’s hand.

Advertisement

The incident happened at Everton’s Goodison Park after Manchester United’s 1-0 defeat last April.

Footage shared on social media showed the Portugal international appearing to smash a phone out of a young fan’s hand as he left the pitch and headed towards the tunnel.

Advertisement

Ronaldo was cautioned by police regarding the incident in August and later issued an apology to 14- year-old Jacob Harding on his Instagram account, admitting his emotions after such a damaging result had got the better of him.

United have announced they will be supporting their player in response to the charge.

Advertisement

A statement from the FA read: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for an incident that took place after Manchester United’s Premier League match against Everton FC on Saturday 9 April 2022.

‘It is alleged that the forward’s conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent.’

Advertisement

END.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews