Connect with us

News

2023: Peter Obi Visits Ex-President Jonathan [Photos]

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Peter Obi has visited former President Jonathan ahead of the 2023 Election campaigns.

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, has visited Nigeria’s former president, Goodluck Jonathan, ahead of the 2023 presidential election.

Advertisement

Peter Obi said he and Jonathan exchanged views on issues of national importance during the meeting.

 

Advertisement

Sharing pictures of the visit on his Twitter page on Thursday, September 15, 2022, Obi, a former governor of Anambra state, southeast Nigeria, maintained that their discussion covered arrays of national interest questions ahead of the election.

“I recently visited my senior brother, H.E. @GEJonathan to exchange views on an array of serious national interest questions. -PO,” Obi captioned the pictures.

Advertisement

Nigeria’s electoral umpire, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said the campaign for presidential, and National Assembly elections will commence on September 28, 2022, while that of governorship and state houses of assembly will commence on October 12, 2022.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Reps Urge FG to Deploy Military To Secure Abuja-Kaduna Expressway For Contractor To Complete Work

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

By Gloria Ikibah

The House of Representatives has resolved to called on the Federal Government to deploy the military personnel and material resources as well as intelligence necessary to secure the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway to enable the contractor resume work without risk to personnel and equipment.

Advertisement

This resolution is sequel to a motion of urgent public importance on Tuesday at plenary sponsored by Hon.Garba Datti and 38 other lawmakers on the urgent need for the federal ministry of works and housing to direct the contractor to immediately resume reconstruction of the Abuja-Kaduna expressway.

Debating the motion Datti recalled that in March 2021, the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, announced that the Federal Executive Council had approved the contract for the rehabilitation of the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano Expressway, amongst other approvals with a delivery date of December 2022.

Advertisement

According to him, the firm, which had initially been contracted to undertake the rehabilitation work on the road, Julius Berger Plc., would also be responsible for the reconstruction of the road.

But due to the incessant and rampant incidents of banditry along the Abuja-Kaduna Highway, the contractor withdrew its workers from the road for security reasons.

Advertisement

The lawmaker noted that at the time of the withdrawal by the contractor, at least one half of the stretch of road had been graded and covered only in laterite which, but the intense rainfall of the past few months, has given way to gorges and potholes that have left the road un-motorable and severely slowed down traffic such that a journey that would ordinarily last one and a half hours now took three hours to complete.

He added that as a result of the current condition of the road, it only takes for a vehicle or truck to breakdown on it for a few minutes and it would result in a build up of static traffic.

Advertisement

He stated: “Distressed that this was exactly what happened on the road i.e. a truck broke down on the road as a result of which there was massive gridlock on the road and that this gridlock was cleared only after five (5) days.

“Distraught that, to worsen matters, the gridlock that was occasioned recently often left motorists and commuters stranded on the road sometimes for between six (6) to nine (9) hours on a journey that should last no more than one and a half (1½) hours.

Advertisement

“Anxious that there is a high probability that that this gridlocks will become a very recurrent occurrence in the immediate future.

“Wary that although the security situation has recently vastly improved along that stretch of road, gridlock on it still exposes commuters held up in it to the probability of bandit and terrorist attacks with their attendant loss of lives and property.

Advertisement

Naijablitznews.com reports that the Abuja-Kaduna highway is the gateway between the North and the South of Nigeria and the major link road to the North West and North East as well as to many neighbouring countries; and the Abuja-Kaduna highway is the key outlet for the transportation of persons, commodities and goods across Nigeria and this is evident in the extraordinary traffic on it.

The lawmaker expressed worries that the situation on the Abuja-Kaduna Highway has become a debilitating drawback for the Nigerian economy, that if not immediately rectified, spells doom for the economy and the social life of Nigerians contrary to section 15(1) of the Constitution, which mandates the Nigerian State to “provide adequate facilities for and encourage free mobility of people, goods and services throughout” Nigeria as well as section 41(1) which guarantees the right to freedom of movement throughout Nigeria to every Nigerian.

Advertisement

“Determined that that the aforementioned circumstances have made it urgent that the contractor, Julius Berger Plc. be immediately brought back to site to complete this phase of the contract especially the stretch between Jere and Kaduna”, he added.

The house in a unanimous voice vote adopted the motion and called on the Minister of Works and Housing to urgently and without further delay direct the contractor, Julius Berger Plc. to immediately return to site and complete its reconstruction work starting with the Jere–Kaduna stretch.

Advertisement

The lawmaker also mandated the House Committee on Works to liaise with the Minister of Works and Housing as well as the heads of the relevant security agencies towards ensuring the implementation of the house resolutions and report back within three weeks for further legislative actions.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Army, SSS, Police rivalry worsening Nigeria’s insecurity – Amos Ojo

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Amos Ojo, the clerk of the National Assembly, says the rivalry among the Nigerian Army, the police, the SSS and other security agencies is worsening the deterioration of insecurity in Nigeria.
He also called on Nigerians to support security operatives to tackle bandits and other criminals terrorising the country.

“The consequences of inter-agency rivalry have far-reaching implications on national security and exacerbate the already existing security challenges confronting the country,” the clerk stated. “The findings of KAS showed more light on intricacies associated with some laws guiding the operations of security agencies, which include (an) overlap of functions, unclear delineation of functions.”

Advertisement

The clerk gave the charge in Abuja on Monday while delivering the opening remarks at a two-day retreat on National Security Legislative Reform for Senate Committee members, organised by Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS).

Mr Ojo expressed concern over the escalation of security challenges through social media, adding a need to put relevant legislation in place to strengthen the country’s security architecture.

Advertisement

He said social media was having a field day, feasting on such conflicts, especially inter-agency rivalries witnessed among security personnel, arising from the circulation of texts, pictures and videos.

The clerk said it was the duty of Nigerians to support security agencies and not to escalate situations through social media to avoid worsening the current insecurity across the country.

Advertisement

Mr Ojo added that amending all existing incongruous legislations and making provisions that would eliminate counter-productivity and ensure inter-agency collaboration required deliberate efforts and resources.

The retreat was organised in furtherance of activities undertaken to address issues relating to the country’s overlapping mandates of security agencies.

Advertisement

Others, according to him, are the conflicting description of conditions and guidelines for collaboration between security agencies.

The study by KAS in 2020 revealed that the duplication of duties and lack of proper coordination often led to inter-agency rivalry among security agencies.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

TCN confirms national grid restored after Monday’s collapse

grid, NDPHC signs
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has confirmed that the national grid has been restored after its partial collapse on Monday.

TCN’s General Manager, Public Affairs, Mrs Ndidi Mbah, made this known in a statement in Abuja.

Advertisement

Mbah explained that the national grid experienced partial system disturbance at about 10.51am earlier in the day.

It was caused by a sudden drop in system frequency, which created system instability.

Advertisement

She said that the restoration of the affected grid commenced immediately at 11.55 am with Osogbo/Ihovbor, followed by Jebba/Osogbo, Kainji/Jebba, Benin/Onitsha, Shiroro/Kaduna, Shiroro/Katampe and Alaoji/Ikot-Ekpene.

Others are Lokoja/Gwagwalada, Odukpani/Ikot Ekpene, Benin/Omotosho, Oke-Aro/Ikeja west, Egbin/Oke-Aro and Kaduna/Kano.

Advertisement

She said the grid restoration has almost been completed, adding that the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) regrets any inconveniences caused.

Mbah promised that the National Control Centre would launch a full-scale investigation “to establish and ascertain the cause of the partial disturbance as this unwholesome event has resulted in aggregated generation loss.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews