Connect with us

News

King Charles III Sacks 100 Employees During Ceremony In Honour Of Queen Elizabeth II

Charles
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Up to 100 employees of Clarence House, a royal residence in the City of Westminster, London in the United Kingdom have been informed that they would soon be made redundant following King Charles III’s accession to the throne.

A report by the UK Guardian on Tuesday said employees at the King’s former official residence, including some who have worked there for decades, received notification that they could lose their jobs following his accession to the throne.

Advertisement

A civil service trade union has criticised the decision to notify King Charles’s staff of redundancies during the period of mourning as “nothing short of heartless”.

Mark Serwotka, the general secretary of the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS), said: “While some changes across the households were to be expected, as roles across the royal family change, the scale and speed at which this has been announced is callous in the extreme. Least of all because we do not know what staffing the incoming Prince of Wales and his family might need.”

Advertisement

He added that the union, which represents some palace workers, was working to ensure staff have “full job security”, and that it continued to support other royal staff concerned that their “futures are thrown into turmoil by this announcement at this already difficult time”.

Clarence House staff are not believed to have a recognised union available to them.

Advertisement

Clarence House, located next to St James’s Palace in central London, is the official London residence of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. King Charles’s and Camilla’s offices will move to Buckingham Palace after the death of the Queen, and staff had expected to be transferred.

Some people in the crowd outside Buckingham Palace on Monday night were shocked at the Guardian’s revelations about the handling of redundancies at Clarence House.

Advertisement

The podiatrist Christhell Hobbs, 57, a regular attender at royal events, said: “I think it’s sad. They have families they have to support.”

Hobbs, who left Fairlight, near Hastings in East Sussex, first thing in the morning to see the Queen’s coffin arrive on Tuesday evening, added: “Many of them have put in many good years of service and now they’re told, ‘We don’t want you’. You have to be human about this.”

Advertisement

Korina Massicat, 22, a politics student at Durham University from east London, agreed: “[These are] people who’ve been working hard and are faithful and loyal. Nobody deserves to be fired because someone dies.”

Lexi, 26, a fashion student at Central Saint Martins in London, said: “It’s quite shocking. I don’t get it, she only just passed away. It’s more important to get the funeral done – I don’t think this was a good time to do it right now.”

Advertisement

Gary Taylor, 54, a property developer from Gravesend, Kent, said: “It is bad timing. It’s not what you would expect because it’s so soon.”

Many in the crowd refused to believe the news, even after they had been shown it online. One woman said it was “scaremongering”, while another said that people were not “prepared to hear negative stuff at the moment”.

Advertisement

Private secretaries, the finance office, the communications team and household staff are among those who received redundancy notices during the thanksgiving service for the Queen at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday.

The BBC also reported it understood that the royal household had received legal advice that the information be shared with staff at the earliest opportunity, despite efforts to delay the announcement until after the Queen’s funeral.

Advertisement

Staff who are made redundant are expected to be offered the opportunity to take up alternative employment across all royal households, assistance in finding new jobs externally and an “enhanced” redundancy payment beyond the statutory minimum.

A small number of staff members providing personal support to Charles and Camilla will remain in post, though no final decisions are understood to have been taken ahead of the consultation period, which begins after Monday’s funeral.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Fire service recovers two corpses, car as heavy downpour wrecks havoc in Ilorin

Service
Spread the love

By Gloria Ikibah

Advertisement

The Kwara Fire Service has said that it recovered two dead bodies after a vehicle plunged into a river at Akerebiata area in Ilorin.

Head of Media and Publicity of the service, Hassan Adekunle, in a statement on Saturday in Ilorin, said that the corpses and a Toyota Yaris car with registration number: APP544E, was recovered from a river opposite Olusola Saraki Abattoir in Ilorin.

Advertisement

“Rumour had it that the incident occurred during the Friday night downpour when the casualties were struggling to drive through the bridge and suddenly got stuck by the flood which pushed them into the river.

“In truth, the rescued work was like a joint operation. Because all the people in the neighbourhood gave their full support to the firemen throughout the operation”, Adekunle said.

Advertisement

He, therefore, advised the general public to always avoid driving whenever there is a heavy downpour.

He added that the identities of the victims were yet to be known at the time of filling this report.

Advertisement

Naijablitznews.com reports that the heavy rain, which lasted for several hours on Friday, wrecked havoc in several parts of llorin metropolis.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Governor Bello Urges President Buhari To Declare Kogi “State Of National Disaster”

Yahaya, bello, traditional, APC
Spread the love

By Gloria Ikibah

Advertisement

Following the ravaging effect of flood in Kogi state and its environs, Governor of Kogi state, Yahaya Bello, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to declare Kogi a ”State of National Disaster,”.

Governor Bello who made the appeal in his Independence Day address in Lokoja, said that a lasting solution must be proffered to the yearly menace.

Advertisement

Bello said that such an emergency declaration would help to unlock the nation’s latent capabilities to respond more aggressively with more men, money and materials to the harrowing situation.

“The President may wish to recall that he made such a declaration in response to the 2018 flooding – and the floods this year are projected to be much worse than anything we saw in 2018.

Advertisement

“Thus, while thanking His Excellency for what the Federal agencies are already doing, I implore him to give us the help our people so desperately need at this time,” Bello said.

He asserted that the natural disaster had affected the nine local government areas of the state which were along the Rivers Niger and Benue, namely, Lokoja, Kogi-Koto, Ajaokuta, Ofu, Igalamela-Odolu, Bassa, Idah, Ibaji and Omala.

Advertisement

He also noted that Ibaji LGA was almost 100 per cent under water, while the rest ranged from 30 per cent up and other inland LGAs also had some degree of flooding from smaller rivers and tributaries.

While he acknowledged that the state had a serious and humanitarian tragedy to attend to, the governor assured every person, family and community who had been affected that they were not alone and that help was around the corner.

Advertisement

He stated that even before the flood, his government had activated its early response systems to make sure that succour reached those affected in a timely manner.

He narrated that flooding in Kogi happened annually which unfortunately the people had gotten used to the ritual of devastation followed by inadequate palliatives, if any.

Advertisement

“As a leader, it is clear to me that I must make an attempt to break this vicious cycle, if not for all, then for as many victims as I can and I am making proposals for permanent solutions,” Bello added.

He reeled out the numerous efforts which have yielded varying degrees of success, he revealed that the most common sense and humane option left now is to clear human habitations and businesses from the banks of the Rivers Niger and Benue where possible.

Advertisement

He added that his government would embark on clearing the lowlands along the entire flood-plains in the flood endemic LGAs which would allow the rivers unimpeded flow during their annual flooding.

“In Lokoja, road shoulders along the banks of the River Niger from the entrance of the city in Natako will be widened to establish a sufficient buffer zone between the city and the river.

Advertisement

“Ganaja junction to Ganaja Village road has also been recently re-awarded to a more efficient contractor and we will see to it that when work commences, efforts will be made to raise the road above the water levels mentioned,” he said.

The governor also noted that lowland communities affected by the planned clearance would be relocated to higher grounds and structures which fall into the designated work areas would have to make way.

Advertisement

Bello, however, assured that the government would ensure proper resettlement and rehabilitation of those who would be affected.

He added that despite the huge burdens it would place of the already strained government’s resources would be money well-spent if it brought peace of mind to the people.

Advertisement

He, however, noted that although such decision would have its own effects, but anything was preferable to the annual loss of lives and livelihood while assuring that his administration would continue to work for the wellbeing of the people and posterity in the state.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Buhari regime, Borno govt taking care of 80,000 repentant Boko Haram terrorists – Army

Buhari
Spread the love

The Nigerian Army says that the regime of President Muhammadu Buhari was partnering with the Borno State government to care for about 80,000 repentant Boko Haram terrorists.

Advertisement

Chris Musa, Theatre Commander, Operation Hadin Kai, said the number of surrendered Boko Haram terrorists has hit “80,000,” while explaining that the military was working with the Borno government to care for the surrendered terrorists.

“The military, Operation Hadin kai working together with the state government. On the point of impact, when the terrorists come out they report to the closest unit and the commander takes him and his men and they are profiled and disarmed,” Mr Musa said in an interview with Channels TV on Saturday.

Advertisement

He added: “The state government provides transportation that takes them into Maiduguri where we have three camps. The fourth camp is being constructed.

We are not directly involved in their administration and management. The state government takes care of them. We simply take care of perimeter security to ensure nobody comes in or goes out.”

Advertisement

Boko Haram terrorists have killed about 350,000 people in the North-East, since they took up arms against the Nigerian state in 2009, according to a United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) report.

The regime of President Buhari first established the “Operation Safe Corridor” in 2016, with the mandate to deradicalise and rehabilitate repentant Boko Haram fighters; an idea greatly criticised by the Nigerian public.

Advertisement

Recently, the terrorist group raided Kuje Prison, freeing its members into the nation’s capital and raising questions on why the government is rehabilitating terrorists while their members continue to fight the Nigerian state.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews