Connect with us

News

Anambra people now identifying unknown gunmen – Soludo

Soludo
Spread the love

Anambra State Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, announced on Sunday night that his people had summoned up courage and helping security agents with the identities of the ‘unknown gunmen’ ravaging the state.

Advertisement

Soludo made the revelation when he appeared on Politics Today, a popular programme on Channels TV.

While giving an update on last week’s attack on the convoy of Senator Ifeanyi Ubah, the former governor of Central Bank of Nigeria declared that the state cannot be a haven for gunmen who he is convinced have relatives in the communities.

Advertisement

The PUNCH had reported that Ubah’s convoy was attacked around Nkwo Enugwu Ukwu Market area of Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra State on his way to Nnewi, his country home on Sunday night.

The gunmen opened fire on the convoy and left five members of the convoy dead and two policemen injured.

Advertisement

Soludo said, “No space in Anambra will accommodate these criminals. Of course, they are known criminals. They come from homes, have parents, relatives and have people from the villages and so on.

But thank goodness, people are now coming forward with information about their identities. And that’s how we have been picking them

Advertisement

“We are pursuing them vigorously. We have this lead whether this was an orchestrated or pinpoint attack and all kinds of theories as to why this happened. I can bet you, it won’t be too long before we get them. We are not relenting one minute.”

While taking stock of his six months in government, the governor said eight of the state and local government that were once held hostage have also been raided and taken over with the help of security forces.

Advertisement

While commending the security agents, Soludo expressed confidence that Anambra has now been relatively quiet and peaceful.

“We came into turbulence in the area of security with about eight local governments taken over by the criminals in more than 15 camps and held the state hostage. Even during political electioneering, most of us couldn’t campaign freely in all the senatorial zones.

Advertisement

“As I said, the 15 camps have been decimated, degraded their infrastructure. I don’t think they have the capacity again to come with the kind of ferocity in the past.

“The operations are ongoing. Even yesterday, many operations went on in parks and many communities now have their New Yam Festival which wasn’t possible in the past, especially in eight of the earlier affected local governments.”

Advertisement

“I must commend the people of Anambra State including the stakeholders, security forces, police, navy, army, civil defence and the vigilantes for their massive cooperation in dealing with it.

“Compare to many other places in Nigeria, I dare to say, going by the statistics of the last three months, Anambra is one of the safest places comparatively.”

Advertisement

This is even as he disclosed that the security agencies have secured about four leads and are hot on the chase of the attackers.

He said, “I told you there are many leads and we don’t want to be presumptuous. There are three or four leads. One of them, as you said, could be the targeting of senators.

Advertisement

Another lead is that the attack could have been targeted at somebody else and he ran into them and they opened fire. The security agents are on top of the situation.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

World Bank commits $8bn to Nigeria in 12 months

World Bank
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

The World Bank has committed a total of $7.93 billion in the 2022 fiscal year, which was from July 2021 to June 2022.
Data obtained from the bank’s website showed that this was an increase of 74.67 per cent from the $4.54bn recorded in the 2021 fiscal year, which began in July 2020 and ended in June 2021.

According to the World Bank, commitments covered the total amount of loans for which contracts were signed in the year specified.

Advertisement

The data obtained ran from 2018 to 2022, covering both loans from the World Bank’s International Development Association and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development.

Between 2018 and 2022, a total of $38.2bn was committed to Nigeria by the World Bank.

Advertisement

Within this period, the highest commitment of $10.45bn was in 2018.

Recall that rising debt pushed Nigeria up the World Bank’s top 10 International Development Association borrowers’ list.

Advertisement

The World Bank Fiscal Year 2021 audited financial statements, particularly the IDA financial statement, showed that Nigeria was rated fifth on the list with $11.7bn IDA debt stock as of June 30, 2021.

However, the World Bank Fiscal Year 2022 audited financial statements for IDA showed that Nigeria had moved to the fourth position on the list, with $13bn IDA debt stock as of June 30, 2022.

Advertisement

The top five countries on the list slightly reduced their IDA debt stock except Nigeria.

In a statement issued on Thursday by the World Bank, the global lender said it had approved the Nigeria State Action on Business Enabling Reforms Program-for-Results.

Advertisement

The $750 million IDA credit is expected to help Nigeria accelerate the implementation of critical actions that will improve the business enabling environment in states.

The World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, Shubham Chaudhuri, was quoted in the statement as saying, “Following the significant progress made by states on fiscal reforms through the State Fiscal Transparency, Accountability and Sustainability program, the SABER programme endeavours to offer similar support to the states to undertake critical business-enabling policy and institutional actions that will incentivize private sector development.

Advertisement

“Private sector investments remain the major vehicle to create more jobs, increase revenues to the states and improve social and economic outcomes for citizens.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Independence Day: Mimiko Expresses Hope in Nigeria’s Greatness

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

The immediate past governor of Ondo State, Dr Olusegun Mimiko said he is optimistic that Nigeria will reclaim its lost glory in the comity of nations and be great again, if all begin to do the right things.
In a press statement by John Paul Akinduro, his Special Assistant on Media and Digital Communications, the former governor urged Nigerians to be steadfast in their prayers and unshaken in their conviction as the country approaches National elections in 2023.
According to him, “As the 2023 elections draw nigh, it is time for all to walk the talk and work assiduously for equity, justice and fairness in all our dealings with one another as citizens.
“Let me restate that Nigeria’s challenges are temporary and will be surmounted if Nigerians are determined to rework its charter of association and pursue justice and fairness in choosing those who will steer the ship of the country.
“We must never forget as we race towards another election year that the country is structurally defective and that we must factor the need to, as a matter of urgency, restructure to make it easier for us to develop by creating healthy competition among the federating units.”
He tasked government at all levels to prioritize the security of every Nigerian, among many other things, where they live, work and play even as he prayed for better days for the country.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Fire service recovers two corpses, car as heavy downpour wrecks havoc in Ilorin

Service
Spread the love

By Gloria Ikibah

Advertisement

The Kwara Fire Service has said that it recovered two dead bodies after a vehicle plunged into a river at Akerebiata area in Ilorin.

Head of Media and Publicity of the service, Hassan Adekunle, in a statement on Saturday in Ilorin, said that the corpses and a Toyota Yaris car with registration number: APP544E, was recovered from a river opposite Olusola Saraki Abattoir in Ilorin.

Advertisement

“Rumour had it that the incident occurred during the Friday night downpour when the casualties were struggling to drive through the bridge and suddenly got stuck by the flood which pushed them into the river.

“In truth, the rescued work was like a joint operation. Because all the people in the neighbourhood gave their full support to the firemen throughout the operation”, Adekunle said.

Advertisement

He, therefore, advised the general public to always avoid driving whenever there is a heavy downpour.

He added that the identities of the victims were yet to be known at the time of filling this report.

Advertisement

Naijablitznews.com reports that the heavy rain, which lasted for several hours on Friday, wrecked havoc in several parts of llorin metropolis.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews