Connect with us

News

2 Americans, 5 British Soldiers Others Among 10 Prisoners Of War Released By Russia

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Ten war prisoners, including those from the United States and the United Kingdom, were freed and sent to Saudi Arabia as part of a trade between Russia and Ukraine, the Gulf state of Saudi Arabia announced on September 21.

According to the Saudi foreign ministry, the release followed mediation by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, “in continuation of [his] commitment to the humanitarian initiatives towards the Russian-Ukrainian crisis.”

Advertisement

According to a statement from the ministry, the prisoners of war include five British nationals, two Americans, a Croatian, a Moroccan, and a Swedish national. It also said that a plane carrying the prisoners had landed in the kingdom.

Russia releases 10 prisoners of war including 2 Americans and 5 British soldiers captured in Ukraine after Saudi Arabia mediation (photos)

Advertisement

The Saudi statement said they had arrived from Russia and that Saudi authorities were “facilitating procedures for their safe return to their respective countries”.

However, Aiden Aslin was reportedly among those released, according to British lawmaker Robert Jenrick. Aslin was apprehended earlier this year and later found guilty of murder by a court in the DPR, one of Russia’s proxies in eastern Ukraine.

Advertisement

 

According to Reuters, Alexander Drueke, 39, and Andy Huynh, 27, were also freed by Russia.

Advertisement

The two, who are both from Alabama, were taken prisoner in June while fighting alongside Ukrainian troops in eastern Ukraine who were fending off Russian invaders.

Since the start of the conflict, hundreds of enemy combatants have been taken prisoner by Ukrainian and Russian forces, and a few prisoner exchanges have also occurred.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Elderly Woman Falls On Her Knees To Pray For Peter Obi In Jos Rally

elderly
Spread the love

As political campaigns for the 2023 general elections commenced on Wednesday, a elderly woman has been captured praying for the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, during a solidarity rally held in Jos, Plateau State.

Advertisement

The Director-General of the Obi-Datti Campaign organization, Doyin Okupe, in a tweet on Wednesday disclosed that the LP candidate and his vice, Datti Baba Ahmed, will attend the Jos rally although the party is yet to commence campaigns officially.

”Today in Jos, HE Peter Obi & his running mate Datti-Ahmed, will honour an invitation from the Middle Belt forum to attend a solidarity rally. We are yet to commence our own campaigns.

Advertisement

To comfort our students, We urge the FG to quickly resolve the lingering ASSU Crisis,” the tweet read.

Amongst persons seen at the venue to welcome the LP flag bearer was an elderly woman on her knees in the midst of other supporters praying for Peter Obi at the Rwang Pam Stadium Jos, Plateau state.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

UNIBEN releases post-UTME, DE screenings date

Spread the love

The University of Benin has fixed dates for its Post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and Direct Entry screenings for 2022/2023 session.

Advertisement

The university in a notice by its Registrar, Ademola Bobola on Wednesday in Benin, said the exercise would hold between Nov. 14 and 25.

Bobola said the screening would be conducted in designated centres at the Ugbowo main campus of the institution, using the Computer Based Test mode.

Advertisement

“Only candidates who applied through JAMB for the 2022/2023 UTME and Direct Entry admission and chose the University of Benin as First Choice and scoring 200 and above for UTME candidates are eligible for this screening exercise,” the registrar said.

Bobola, however, referred admission seekers to the institution to the university’s official website.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Presidency denies authorising Katsina security outfit to carry arms

Spread the love

The Presidency has denied that any state has been issued authorisation to procure automatic weapons for its security outfit.

Advertisement

Last week, Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Rotimi Akeredolu had accused the Federal Government of bias in refusing to allow the Western Nigeria Security Network Agency, also known as Amotekun Corps, to carry sophisticated firearms, while allegedly granting approval to the Katsina State security outfit to carry sophisticated firearms.

That was as the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba said that quasi-security outfits established by state governments have no legal basis to function during the 2023 general elections.

Advertisement

In a statement on Tuesday, the Presidency said the possession of automatic weapons and AK-47 remains illegal in the country.

“The Presidency wishes to strongly assert that there is no state, not Katsina, not any other state in the federation, that has been authorized to procure automatic weapons for their security outfits,” the statement reads.

Advertisement

“Under this administration, the President has repeatedly made it clear that nobody is allowed to illegally carry AK-47 or any other automatic weapons and that they must surrender them”.

The Presidency however said neither Katsina nor Ondo is allowed to purchase automatic weapons for security outfits.

Advertisement

“Under the existing regulations, only the Office of the National Security Adviser can issue such authorization, upon proper clearance by the President and Commander-in-Chief and as it is at this moment, no such approvals have been issued to any state government.

“In the specific Katsina State often cited, the Governor, Aminu Bello Masari wrote to explain that the administration invited the Provost of the Civil Defence Training College in Katsina to train their vigilantes for a five-day period….

Advertisement

“in the handling and operations of Pump Action Rifles,” emphasising that “the vigilantes were not trained to take over the responsibilities of the security agencies of the Federal Government of Nigeria but to assist them”.

The Presidency added that it “appreciates the active involvement of states with security matters. As they continue to expand their capabilities as well as their active collaboration with law enforcement agencies of the federation, the joint efforts continue to yield good results, thwarting attempts of terrorists to wreak havoc and destruction on communities”.

Advertisement

President Muhammadu Buhari was quoted as saying he has received reports “of acts of utmost bravery and professionalism” by operatives of state security outfits.

“He thanked them for their alertness that is helping to defeat nefarious plots against targets at grassroots levels”, the statement added.

Advertisement

Furthermore, the Presidency called on leaders at various levels “to exercise restraint in their speech, even as we are in a political season”.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews