Connect with us

News

Seme Customs intercepts 319 sacks, 1500 jerrycans of petrol products

Spread the love

By Francesca Iwambe
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Seme Area Command, says it has intercepted 319 sacks and 1,500 jerricans of petroleum products along Badagry and Seme border.
In a statement by Hussein Abdulahi, the command’s spokesman, on Thursday in Seme, Lagos, Comptroller Bello Jibo, Customs Area Controller, the seized containers of petrol were concealed inside sacks and Jerry cans.
He added that the petrol seized had a Duty Paid Value (DPV) of N19,785,000 only.
“This is in continuation of our efforts to suppress the smuggling of petroleum products within the nooks and crannies of the command.
“The officers and men of the Seme Area Command, on a routine patrol along the bushes within Seme and Badagry, intercepted another large quantity of petroleum products packaged in sacks and jerry cans.
“The arrest was made in the early hours of today, Sept. 22.
“The seized petroleum products were estimated to be around 2,500 jerry cans of 30 litres each, equivalent to 75,000 litres.
“The DPV is N19,785,000 only,” he said.
He noted that the feat was achieved due to credible intelligence received by the command, on the activities of smugglers.
Jibo warned perpetrators of these illegal activities to stay off the Seme border routes or continue to count heavy losses, as his men were determined to flush them out of the area.
The controller recalled that three weeks ago, the command made a similar arrest of over 119,000 litres of petroleum products.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

NDLEA sets ablaze 1.8 tons of cocaine as Marwa promises drug cartels tough time +photos

Spread the love

Tougher time awaits drug barons and cartels operating in Nigeria if they fail to back out of their criminal trade and embrace legitimate ventures. Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd) gave the assurance on Tuesday 27th September 2022 while leading stakeholders to witness the crushing and setting ablaze 1.8 tons of cocaine recovered by the Agency from a warehouse in Ikorodu area of Lagos last week.
The NDLEA had in a well-coordinated and intelligence led operation that lasted two days last week stormed a hidden warehouse at 6 Olukunola street, Solebo estate Ikorodu where 1.8 tons of cocaine were recovered and five suspects including a Jamaican were arrested. Following the historical seizure, which is the largest in the Agency’s history, an order of the Federal High Court in Lagos was obtained for the public destruction of the consignment.
Speaking at the venue of the public destruction in Badagry area of Lagos Tuesday, Gen. Marwa who was represented by the Agency’s Director, Prosecution and Legal Services, Deputy Commander General of Narcotics, DCGN Sunday Joseph, said the sheer volume of the drug haul, with street value put at two hundred and seventy-eight million, two hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($278, 250,000), equivalent to one hundred and ninety-four billion, seven hundred and seventy-five million (N194, 775,000,000) naira, speaks volume about the extent of the nefarious activities of the drug underworld. He said this has made it imperative for Nigerians to continue to support NDLEA in the renewed war against illicit drugs.
He said out of the 1.8-ton seizure, 1, 828 blocks of the cocaine will be crushed and set ablaze while the remnant will be secured for purpose of prosecution of the suspects who were brought to witness the procedure and sign the certificate of destruction. According to the NDLEA boss, “the Agency is proceeding with the prosecution of those arrested in connection with this consignment. On this, the public can rest assured that NDLEA shall pursue the trial to a logical conclusion. Since January 25, 2021, when we commenced our offensive action against drug traffickers, the Agency has secured record convictions. Presently, 2, 904 drug offenders are serving various jail terms, while other cases are ongoing in court, which we are confident will end in positive results too.”
To the drug underworld, he said “the bust of the syndicate responsible for the cocaine warehoused in Ikorodu is a message to drug cartels that their investments in the illicit drug trade will go up in flames as you are about to witness while they also risk losing their freedom because the present NDLEA is committed to arresting, prosecuting and ensuring the conviction of those involved in illicit drugs. That is not all, we now also go after their assets acquired with the proceeds of the criminal trade.”
Marwa said the fact that the Ikorodu operation was conducted clinically without any skirmish or bloodshed is further testimony to the evolution of the NDLEA and its new capabilities, and a pointer to the fact that the game has changed in the war against illicit drugs.
He expressed appreciation to the Agency’s international partners, especially the American Drug Enforcement Administration (US-DEA) that supported the cocaine syndicate bust and the Nigerian military that provided additional firepower during the operation, as well as other law enforcement agencies that have been supporting efforts to rid Nigeria of illicit drugs.
While soliciting for more support for the Agency’s work, Marwa said “the safety of our society is the responsibility of every one of us and every citizen shall be fulfilling his or her civic duty by assisting the Agency to clean up our communities and cities by joining our War Against Drug Abuse (WADA)”, adding that “together, we can make this country secure.”

Advertisement

Femi Babafemi
Director, Media & Advocacy
NDLEA Headquarters Abuja
Tuesday 27th September 2022

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Just In: Unidentified Gunmen Attack Military Checkpoint In Enugu, Kill 2

cleric, Principal, Enugu
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

 

Two people are feared dead in Enugu State, southeast Nigeria, following an attack, Tuesday morning, September 26, 2022, by unknown gunmen.

Advertisement

It was gathered that the gunmen attacked a military checkpoint at Obeagu-Amodu road in Enugu South Local Government Area of Enugu State.

Naijablitznews reports that this is not the first time gunmen were attacking security agencies along that axis. The frequent attacks led to the deployment of the combined team of security operatives.

Advertisement

However, it was gathered that the unknown gunmen stormed the area again in two Lexus Jeeps and one Toyota Sienna bus around 7:25 a.m. The gunmen reportedly opened fire at the combined team of the Police and the military.

Although the casualty figure is still unclear, a source said at least two persons died in the military checkpoint attack, but the Enugu Police Command is yet to issue a statement on the reported attack.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Diri Defends Deputy on Allegation of Disloyalty, Denies Rift With Former Gov Dickson

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa has dismissed allegations that his deputy, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, is disloyal.

The governor, in a statement issued by his aide, Dr Kola Oredipe, also denied any rift with his predecessor, Sen. Seriake Dickson.

Advertisement

Diri reaffirmed that he has implicit confidence in Ewhrudjakpo, describing him as a worthy partner in the governance of the state.

A group in the Bayelsa Chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the Bayelsa Progressive Vanguard (BPV), had on Sunday decried the activities of the deputy governor.

Advertisement

The group had alleged that Ewhrudjakpo was working against the interest of the governor.

In a statement signed by its leader, Erepadei Ebiowei, the BPV said it had observed with dismay that most of the actions of Ewhrujakpor were unbecoming of a deputy governor.

Advertisement

The group alleged that the deputy governor was running a parallel administration within the government despite the latitude he enjoyed from the governor.

It also accused Ewhrujakpor of hobnobbing and meeting with aggrieved members within the ruling party and opposition party candidates of the Social Democratic Party (SDP).

Advertisement

The group called on the leadership of the PDP in the state and at the national level to probe the deputy governor.

According to the BPV, if unchecked, the deputy governor will constitute the greatest threat to the fortunes of the party in the 2023 elections. (NAN)

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews