Connect with us

Politics

Labour Party to release Peter Obi manifesto next week – Utomi

Labour , Utomi
Spread the love

Labour Party leader, Prof. Pat Utomi has said that the manifesto of the party’s presidential candidate, Mr Peter Obi for the 2023 elections will be released before campaign starts next week.

Advertisement

Campaign for presidential and national elections officially kicks off next Wednesday.

While receiving the leadership of Progressive Movement for Better Nigeria (PM4BN) in Abuja, Utomi said the document is ready but is carefully kept under raps to avoid opposition candidates from stealing it.

Advertisement

According to him, “Obi’s manifesto is ready and it will be released before campaign starts. We have it but we decided to keep it secret until campaigns starts”.’

On the frequent criticism that the party has no structure to win a national election, Utomi said those who held such belief are ignorant, adding that the party actually has a super structure far bigger than that of the ruling All Progressives Party (APC) and the main opposition’s Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Advertisement

“Those who understand what structure means know that LP has better structure than PDP and APC in the Nigerian terminology. NLC (Nigerian Labour Congress) has 10 million registered members. We are going to energise all of them into a structure so that it becomes a super structure.

“We have a big tent which constitutes several social movements, several political parties with Labour Party as part of it. Several of these political movements like Congress of Professionals, which is great Nigerian project consists of six million members in every part of Nigeria.

Advertisement

“From these groups, we have about seven super structures far bigger than ether APC and PDP. We also have faith-based structures, religious movements; we have structures everywhere. With the political party and several political movements, we have a structure.

“We have a secretariat directorate reaching out to all support groups. There are special apps and portals from which specific assignments go out, their performance measured, get feedback. It is designed to harmonise them into being productive”.

Advertisement

On how the party intends to mobile their support groups, he said” ‘’We will create an enabling environment. By next week we are going to set up a committee on both fund raising and campaign processes; mobile-based apps, portals from which performance will be measured and we get feedback from the polling booths.

“There is a body from the US that will train a lot of support groups. We will create a group; a special group that is going to create people on fund raising and campaign process from us.

Advertisement

‘’You send us proposal of what you intend to do, and then we see what you want to do and how to partner with you to generate big tent for Peter Obi campaign organisation.

Donor organisations are going to raise fund for the support groups like you and some Nigerians who are willing to support the movement are also available to lend their support”.

Advertisement

Earlier in her address, the National Coordinator of PM4BN, Ms Stella Ezeh told Utomi that the essence of the visit was to intimate him about the group’s support for the presidential bid of Obi and his running mate, Senator Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed.

She said that the team came to seek ways of collaboration in ensuring the success of the Labour Party candidate in the forthcoming general elections, as campaign commences next week.

Advertisement

The PM4BN coordinator assured Utomi that the organisation would work hard to making sure that Obi succeeds in the elections.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Politics

PDP PaIaver: Dan Orbih explains return of N122.4M allegedly paid to NWC members by Ayu [Details]

Orbih
Spread the love

The Peoples Democratic Party National Vice Chairman (South-South), Chief Dan Orbih, has shed more light on the return of N122.4 million paid into the accounts of its National Working Committee, NWC members by its national chairman, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu saying that it smelt like bribe money.

Advertisement

Infopowerng had reported that six national officers of the PDP had returned various sums of money on the claim that it may have been part of a plot to compromise them concerning issues in the party.

Apart from Orbih who returned N28 million paid into his account reportedly without his knowledge or prompting, other NWC members who returned the money were the National Vice Chairman (South-West), Olasoji Adagunodo; Deputy National Chairman (South) Taofeek Arapaja and National Women Leader, Prof. Stella Affah-Attoe.

Advertisement

While Arapaja got N36 million, Adagunodo, Orbih and Effah-Attoe got N28.8 million each.

Orbih in an interview explained why he and others decided to return the money.

Advertisement

He said, “I was never in any meeting when that approval was given. We also established that they should say the date the meeting took place when that approval was given.

It was also observed by all those who returned money that their decision to return the money was based on the story reported in The Nation Newspapers that the money was a bribe,” Orbih said of the money reportedly authorized by the national chairman.

Advertisement

“So, the issue that the money was not a bribe or a bribe is neither here nor there. That was why we set up a panel to find out how that information got to The Nation Newspapers that the money was paid. That was it. There is nobody that is under trial.

“Yes, a panel was set up not to put anyone on trial but to investigate the source of the story in The Nation Newspapers.

Advertisement

In actual fact, one of the members did say that this was not the first time payments made to people are in the media as the vouchers under Adamu Muazu were even published in the Newspapers.

He said there’s nothing unusual in this type of information leaking to the press.

Advertisement

“It may well be that even the administrative staff may be responsible for the leakage because one of them went to Arise TV to justify the payment.

We want to know the source because having been informed by the NWC members that this is is not the first time such would be leaked because there was even some money paid to some NWC under Muazu, the vouchers were even published.

Advertisement

“So, we need to know the source of the leakage of the information, that was why we set up the committee.

Nobody is under probe, either the people who paid back the money nor those who didn’t pay back the money. Nobody is under any investigation.”

Advertisement

Speaking on the claim that the payment to the NWC members wasn’t a bribe, Orbih said, “Well, it’s not an allegation, we stated in our letter that this money is being returned based on the stories in the Newspaper that the money paid was a bribe.

“They came to the meeting to say, well it was not a bribe, there were narratives in the text messages in the alerts saying that it’s allowance.

Advertisement

“But most of us who were present and who had alerts on their phones showed that there was no narrative accompanying the payment. So, there’s no way they would have know from heaven that the money was for allowance.

“The only available information to them at the time that money was paid was the story in The Nation saying that it was a bribe. Some said that after consultation with their family members they decided to return it.

Advertisement

“Others said that after consultation with friends and embarrassment of people who heard the bribe share of the money.

They felt it was not right because the impression outside was that the money was meant to bribe members from probing into the money collected for forms.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: I’m Not Aware Of Tinubu’s Whereabouts – Keyamo

Keyamo
Spread the love

The Spokesperson of the All Progressives Congress campaign council, Festus Keyamo, on Wednesday night said he was not aware of the current location of the party’s presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

Advertisement

This is even as he dismissed speculations that the former Lagos State governor travelled out of the country to seek medical assistance.

Keyamo, who made the clarification when he appeared on Channels Tv ‘Politics Today’, stated that only mischief makers are gravely concerned about Tinubu’s whereabouts, adding that nobody makes a fuss when the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, travelled to Dubai.

Advertisement

He said, “Our candidate is not in the country currently and I don’t have any information on where he is. I know he will be back in a couple of days but I don’t know the particular day.

“He is also not on a medical trip; I don’t have such information. It is not true that we have not started campaigns because the candidate is sick and is not around.”

Advertisement

When asked if the recent video was posted on social media to prove a point, the Minister of State for Labour and Employment responded that: “As far as I am concerned it was done in real-time and posted on his Twitter handle.

It is not to prove that he is alive, we are not trying to prove anything to anybody. Our candidate is not struggling to prove himself to anybody.
People who are close to him know that he is an avid cyclist, he does that all the time, and it is his regular routine.

Advertisement

“I think what we want to prove this period is to correct mischievous enquires by mischief makers. We want to prove that the tail doesn’t wag the dog, it is the dog that wags its tail.

“It is not every time you ask mischievous questions, we would be struggling to prove ourselves. We are not dancing to the tune of the opposition.

Advertisement

We have our tune and music and we would do with it whatsoever we like. We are not going to be reacting all the time to what the opposition is doing with mischief.

“We are all aware that the Presidential candidate of the PDP, Atiku Abubakar, travels to Dubai all the time, I don’t see any media intensity on what he is doing in Dubai.

Advertisement

Whenever he travels, nobody remembers him until he comes back a week or two later. They know he is the candidate to beat and so the search light is on him and we are proud of that.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

Wike reappoints Dr. Danagogo as SSG

Wike
Spread the love

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has reappointed Dr. Tammy Wenike Danagogo, as Secretary to State Government.

Advertisement

The Governor’s decision was contained in a press statement signed on October 5th, by the Special Assistant on Media to the Rivers State Governor, Kelvin Ebiri.

The statement sighted by Africa Update, reads: “His Excellency, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, the Executive Governor of Rivers State has approved the re-appointment of Dr.Tammy Wenike Danagogo as the Secretary to the Rivers State Government (SSG). The appointment takes immediate effect.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories

Copyright © 2022 NaijaBlitznews