Connect with us

News

Alleged invaders of JSC Odili’s home escape from Kuje prison

Spread the love

By Emmanuel Agaji

Advertisement

Two of the 15 alleged invaders of the residence of Justice Mary Odili (rtd.) were among inmates who escaped from the Kuje Correctional Centre during the July jailbreak.

Recall gunmen had on July 5 attacked the Kuje Prison facility and freed hundreds of inmates, including suspected Boko Haram members.

Advertisement

Usman Jibrin, counsel to the 6th, 13th and 14th defendants disclosed this before Justice Nkeonye Maha in the last adjourned date.

At the resumed hearing on July 19, Aliyu Umar Ibrahim, Shehu Jibo and Abdullahi Adamu who are 6th, 13th and 14th defendants respectively in a suit filed by the police against the 15 suspects, were not in court.

Advertisement

Jibrin informed the court that the three were victims of the jailbreak, and Justice Maha ordered the prosecution to investigate the matter and report back on Nov. 16.

When the matter was called on Wednesday, prosecution lawyer, Mathew Omosun, reminded that when the case came up on July 19, the court made an order and his office wrote to the prison authorities concerning the three defendants.

Advertisement

While reading the response of the prison authorities in the open court, Omosun said the correctional service said only Jibo and Adamu (13th and 14th defendants) were at large.

But Jibrin, who also appeared for Ibrahim (6th defendant), expressed concern that his client was nit in court despite the response of the correction service that he was not at large.

Advertisement

He prayed the court to order the prison authorities to produce Ibrahim in the next adjourned date.

Omosun, however, applied that the three defendants could be tried in absentia in accordance with Section 521 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015.

Advertisement

The judge then asked the prosecution if the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, had been informed about the development and if a team of detectives had been set up to get them rearrested.

Justice Maha, who adjourned the matter until Feb.16 for trial continuation, ordered the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS) to produce Ibrahim (6th defendant) in court in the next adjourned date.

Advertisement

Odili’s home at No 7, Imo River Road, was, on Oct. 29, 2021, invaded by some persons who claimed to be security agents on allegations that the judge was keeping a large sum of money in foreign currencies.

On Dec. 15, 2021, the 15 suspects arrested over the invasion were arraigned by the police before Justice Maha.

Advertisement

They were arraigned on an 18-count charge in suit no. FHC/ABJ/CR/436/2021 which bordered on alleged conspiracy to commit felony and forgery of court documents.

They include two lawyers (Alex Onyekuru and Igwe Ernest); a serving policeman (ASP Mohammed Yahaya and Hajia Maimuna Maishanu), the only woman.

Advertisement

Others are: Adjodo F. Lawrence (aka Ola Ojo); Micheal Diete-Spiff; Bayero Lawal (aka Director of EFCC); Aliyu Umar Ibrahim; Ayodele Akindipe (aka Herbalist); Yusuf Adamu (aka Godson to Peter Odili); Bashir Musa; Stanley Nkwazema; Shehu Jibo; Abdulahi Adamu; Mohammed Yahaya and Abdulahi Usman.

On Jan. 17 a prosecution witness, ASP Madaki Chidawa, who is attached to retired Justice Odili’s home, testified how the invasion was foiled.

Advertisement

Chidawa, who said he had been a policeman for the past 29 years, 15 of which he had spent with the judge, said he knew the defendants when they came to the residence on Oct. 29, 2021, claiming to possess a warrant to search the house.

On May 12 that Justice Odili, the Supreme Court justice, retired from active judicial service after clocking 70 years mandatory retirement age.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Photos/Video: LASU class of 2004, Anthony Campus re-union anniversary

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

The class of 2004, Public Administration of the Lagos State University (LASU) Anthony Campus re-union second anniversary get together on Saturday.

Old classmates had a lot share and had time to dance and celebrate old times.

Advertisement

See/watch video below:


Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Finally, after terrorists attack, NRC to resume Abuja-Kaduna rail operations on Monday

Spread the love

Finally, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) will resume the Abuja-Kaduna passenger train service on Monday, with only two return services after the terrorists attack.

Advertisement

Naijablitznews.com reports this was contained in a statement issued and signed by the Managing Director of the NRC, Fidet Okhiria.

The statement shows the first train will depart Rigasa train station in Kaduna state to Abuja by 8:00 in the morning while from Abuja, the first train will depart Idu train station to Kaduna state by 9:45 in the morning.

Advertisement

The NRC management also revealed that as part of the new security measures, it is now mandatory for passengers to present their National Identity Number and valid Boarding Ticket before they will be allowed to board.

It also says the purchase of tickets by proxy is only limited to minors and a specified number of adult passengers.

Advertisement

Online and mobile app ticketing will be available from 8:00 in the morning on Sunday, December the 4th, 2022 while the ticket offices at the train stations will open from 6:30 in the morning on Monday, December the 5th.

Recall that the NRC suspended train service along the route after Boko Haram terrorists attacked a moving passenger train in Kaduna on March 28, 2022.

Advertisement

The insurgents had blown up the rail track and bombed the moving train, killing some and abducting more than 60 passengers. The unprecedented attack attracted international and national outrage.

The terrorists, who attacked the Kaduna-bound train released hostages in tranches with the last release coming on October 5, 2022.

Advertisement

Before the hostages were completely released, distraught family members had protested several times to demand the release of their loved ones.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Peter Obi Attends Gospel Musical Concert ‘The Experience’ In Lagos+Photo

Peter Obi
Spread the love

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, on Friday, attended the annual gospel musical concert organised by House On The Rock church in Lagos.

Advertisement

Upon his introduction, Obi was welcomed with cheers from the crowd.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories