Connect with us

News

New Zealand court rules voting age of 18 is discriminatory

Spread the love

By Francesca Iwambe
New Zealand’s highest court on Monday ruled that the country’s current voting age of 18 was discriminatory, forcing parliament to discuss whether it should be lowered.

Advertisement

The case, which had been going through the courts since 2020, was brought by advocacy group, Make It 16, which wanted the age lowered to include 16 and 17-year-olds.

The Supreme Court found that the current voting age of 18 was inconsistent with the country’s Bill of Rights, which gave people a right to be free from age discrimination when they had reached 16.

Advertisement

The decision triggered a process in which the issue must come before parliament for discussion and be reviewed by a parliamentary select committee. But it does not force parliament to change the voting age.

“This is history,’’ said Make It 16 co-director, Caeden Tipler, adding: “The government and parliament cannot ignore such a clear legal and moral message. They must let us vote.’’

Advertisement

The group said on its website that there was insufficient justification to stop 16-year-olds from voting when they could drive, work full time and pay tax.

Sadowski-Synnott claims New Zealand’s first-ever Winter Olympics gold medal

Advertisement

New Zealand, Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, said the government would draft legislation to reduce the age to 16, which could then be put to a vote in parliament.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Photos/Video: LASU class of 2004, Anthony Campus re-union anniversary

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

The class of 2004, Public Administration of the Lagos State University (LASU) Anthony Campus re-union second anniversary get together on Saturday.

Old classmates had a lot share and had time to dance and celebrate old times.

Advertisement

See/watch video below:


Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Finally, after terrorists attack, NRC to resume Abuja-Kaduna rail operations on Monday

Spread the love

Finally, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) will resume the Abuja-Kaduna passenger train service on Monday, with only two return services after the terrorists attack.

Advertisement

Naijablitznews.com reports this was contained in a statement issued and signed by the Managing Director of the NRC, Fidet Okhiria.

The statement shows the first train will depart Rigasa train station in Kaduna state to Abuja by 8:00 in the morning while from Abuja, the first train will depart Idu train station to Kaduna state by 9:45 in the morning.

Advertisement

The NRC management also revealed that as part of the new security measures, it is now mandatory for passengers to present their National Identity Number and valid Boarding Ticket before they will be allowed to board.

It also says the purchase of tickets by proxy is only limited to minors and a specified number of adult passengers.

Advertisement

Online and mobile app ticketing will be available from 8:00 in the morning on Sunday, December the 4th, 2022 while the ticket offices at the train stations will open from 6:30 in the morning on Monday, December the 5th.

Recall that the NRC suspended train service along the route after Boko Haram terrorists attacked a moving passenger train in Kaduna on March 28, 2022.

Advertisement

The insurgents had blown up the rail track and bombed the moving train, killing some and abducting more than 60 passengers. The unprecedented attack attracted international and national outrage.

The terrorists, who attacked the Kaduna-bound train released hostages in tranches with the last release coming on October 5, 2022.

Advertisement

Before the hostages were completely released, distraught family members had protested several times to demand the release of their loved ones.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Peter Obi Attends Gospel Musical Concert ‘The Experience’ In Lagos+Photo

Peter Obi
Spread the love

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi, on Friday, attended the annual gospel musical concert organised by House On The Rock church in Lagos.

Advertisement

Upon his introduction, Obi was welcomed with cheers from the crowd.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories