Connect with us

Foreign

Ukraine Battles To Reconnect Millions In The Cold And Dark

Ukraine threatens
Spread the love

 

Advertisement

Ukraine battled Friday to get water and power to millions of people cut off after Russia launched dozens of cruise missiles that battered the country’s already crippled electricity grid.

The energy system in Ukraine is on the brink of collapse and millions have endured emergency blackouts over recent weeks.

Advertisement

The World Health Organization has warned of “life-threatening” consequences and estimated that millions could leave their homes as a result.

“The situation with electricity remains difficult in almost all regions,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Thursday evening. “However, we are gradually moving away from blackouts — every hour we return power to new consumers.”

Advertisement

More than 24 hours after Russian strikes smashed Kyiv, mayor Vitali Klitschko said late Thursday that 60 percent of homes in the capital were still suffering emergency outages. Water services had been fully restored however, said city officials.

But the shelling had killed seven people at Vyshgorod, on the outskirts of the city, said Oleksiy Kuleba, head of the Kyiv Regional Military Administration.

Advertisement

And a fresh round of strikes Thursday killed at least four people in the southern city of Kherson, recently recaptured by Ukraine, said a senior official there.

The latest attacks on the power grid come with winter setting in and temperatures in the capital hovering just above freezing.

Advertisement

The western region of Khmelnytsky was one of the worst affected by power outages, with just 35 percent of its normal capacity, but that was enough to connect critical infrastructure, according to Serhii Hamaliy, the head of the regional administration.

About 300,000 residents in the eastern Kharkiv region, near the border with Russia, were still without power on Thursday evening, but electricity supply had been restored for nearly 70 percent of consumers, said Oleh Synehubov of the regional military administration.

Advertisement

“We’ve restarted power supplies,” said Igor Terekhov, mayor of Kharkiv city, adding that water was being restored to homes and municipal workers were reconnecting public transport.

“Believe me, it was very difficult.”

Advertisement

Ukraine accused Russian forces of launching around 70 cruise missiles as well as drones in attacks that left 10 dead and around 50 wounded.

But Russia’s defence ministry denied striking any targets inside Kyiv, insisting that Ukrainian and foreign air defence systems had caused the damage.

Advertisement

“Not a single strike was made on targets within the city of Kyiv,” it said.

‘Scariest day’
Moscow is targeting power facilities in an apparent effort to force capitulation after nine months of war that has seen its forces fail in most of their stated territorial objectives.

Advertisement

“The way they fight and target civil infrastructure, it can cause nothing but fury,” said Oleksiy Yakovlenko, chief administrator at a hospital in Ukraine’s eastern city of Kramatorsk.

Despite the increasingly frequent blackouts, Yakovlenko said his resolve was unwavering.

Advertisement

“If they expect us to fall on our knees and crawl to them it won’t happen,” Yakovlenko told AFP.

Russian troops have suffered a string of battlefield defeats.

Advertisement

Ukraine’s recapture of Kherson meant a withdrawal from the only regional capital Russia had captured, Moscow’s troops destroying key infrastructure as they retreated.

On Thursday, Yaroslav Yanushevych, head of the Kherson military administration, said Russian strikes there had killed at least four people.

Advertisement

“The Russian invaders opened fire on a residential area with multiple rocket launchers. A large building caught fire,” he said on Telegram.

Ukraine prosecutors also said Thursday that the authorities had discovered a total of nine torture sites used by the Russians in Kherson, as well as “the bodies of 432 killed civilians”.

Advertisement

Wednesday’s attacks disconnected three Ukrainian nuclear plants automatically from the national grid and triggered blackouts in neighbouring Moldova, where the energy network is linked to Ukraine.

All three nuclear facilities had been reconnected by Thursday morning, said the energy ministry.

Advertisement

Power was nearly entirely back online in ex-Soviet Moldova, where its pro-European president Maia Sandu convened a special meeting of her security council.

‘Shutdowns’
The Kremlin said Ukraine was ultimately responsible for the fallout from the strikes and that Kyiv could end the strikes by acquiescing to Russian demands.

Advertisement

Ukraine “has every opportunity to settle the situation, to fulfil Russia’s demands and as a result, end all possible suffering of the civilian population,” spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.

Zelensky said Ukraine’s forces were “preparing to advance” in some areas.

Advertisement

“Almost every hour I receive reports of occupiers’ attacks on Kherson and other communities of the region,” he said.

“Such terror began immediately after the Russian army was forced to flee from Kherson region. This is the revenge of those who lost.”

Advertisement

The Ukrainian leader struck an optimistic tone at the end of his nightly address.

“We have withstood nine months of full-scale war, and Russia has not found a way to break us.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Foreign

Mother of 5 who stole £111k from boss forcing her to sell home is ordered to pay back just £1

Spread the love

 

Advertisement

A mum-of-five who stole £111,000 from a hotel owne that gave her a job and threatened to take them to an employment tribunal for holiday pay has been jailed and ordered to pay back £1.

Charlotte Lowery, 36, was given the job at the Tankerville Arms Hotel, in Wooler, Northumberland, by Anne Park, 71, in 2016.

Advertisement

Mrs Park gave the mum a chance to look after the finances, but Lowery betrayed the trust placed in her by stealing huge sums to fund her online gambling habit, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

The hotel owner has been left devastated and is now being forced to sell her home to make up for the missing finances, it was said.

Advertisement

The court also heard how her hopes of retiring and leaving a thriving business to her sons are in ruins.

Lowery of Lesbury, Alnwick, has been jailed for theft, ChronicleLive reports.

Advertisement

Mrs Park had previously employed Lowery’s mum and gave the 36-year-old a chance despite having some personal problems.
Lowery’s role initially involved general duties in the hotel but when the manager left Lowery’s responsibilities increased and involved looking after wages and financial matters and she was “highly trusted”.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Foreign

Ramaphosa’s Future In Balance Over South Africa ‘Farmgate’ Scandal

Ramaphosa
Spread the love

Cyril Ramaphosa’s future as South African president hung in the balance on Thursday, as his office said he was exploring options after a report found evidence he may have committed misconduct over a stash of cash stolen from his game farm.

Advertisement

The report by a panel of experts appointed by the speaker of parliament centred on allegations that thieves had found millions of dollars of cash stuffed into furniture in the millionaire president’s Phala Phala game farm in 2020 and taken it, a theft which only came to light in June.

A person unwraps the report ahead of handing it over to the speaker of parliament on whether or not South African president Cyril Ramaphosa should face an impeachment inquiry over the Phala Phala saga in Cape Town, South Africa, November 30, 2022

Advertisement

The theft has raised questions about how Ramaphosa, who came to power on the promise to fight graft, acquired the money and whether he declared it.

The president has said a much smaller amount of money – the proceeds of game sales – was taken and that he reported the crime when he heard about it. He has denied any wrongdoing and has not been charged with any crimes.

Advertisement

His spokesman said Ramaphosa had “all options on the table” and was still consulting about the report’s recommendations. He apologised for earlier comments that suggested Ramaphosa might make a statement on Thursday.

The rand fell more than 4% against the dollar before paring losses, and South Africa’s sovereign dollar bonds dropped sharply on speculation Ramaphosa would leave his post.

Advertisement

The country’s biggest opposition party, the Democratic Alliance, has called for an early election and the report has plunged the governing African National Congress (ANC) into crisis.

It also threatens Ramaphosa’s efforts to rekindle investor confidence in Africa’s most industrialised economy, after a decade of corruption scandals under former president Jacob Zuma.

Advertisement

The ANC said its executive committee would meet to discuss the panel report on Friday morning, delaying an earlier plan to meet on Thursday.

South Africa’s foreign minister Naledi Pandor called the panel’s report “a very troubling moment” in an interview at the Reuters NEXT conference, and two cabinet ministers called for Ramaphosa to resign.

Advertisement

A spokesperson for elite police unit the Hawks said its investigation into the theft at Ramaphosa’s farm was continuing, while the central bank said it did not comment on exchange control investigations.

The media has dubbed the affair “farmgate”.

Advertisement

The ANC is set to hold an elective conference later this month that will decide if Ramaphosa gets to run for a second term on the ANC ticket at a 2024 election.

“I think the president has to step aside now and answer to the case,” Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Zuma’s ex-wife, who narrowly lost the ANC’s 2017 leadership contest to Ramaphosa, wrote on Twitter late on Wednesday.

Advertisement

Tourism Minister Lindiwe Sisulu, who has campaigned to be elected ANC leader this month, wrote: “CR MUST RESIGN NOW!”

Ramaphosa delayed a scheduled appearance in parliament to answer questions from lawmakers on Thursday, asking the chairperson of parliament’s upper house for time to “carefully consider … the next course of action to be taken,” a statement from parliament said.

Advertisement

The panel’s recommendations are not binding on lawmakers who are set to debate the report on December 6. The ANC holds a majority of seats in the assembly.

If lawmakers decide to forge ahead with an impeachment process, the next stage would be the creation of an impeachment committee with far greater powers – including that of subpoena – than the panel of experts appointed by the speaker.

Advertisement

That committee would have the power to recommend Ramaphosa be removed from office, a decision which parliament would then have to take.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Foreign

Married teacher had $ex with former pupil at marital home when his wife was away

Married teacher
Spread the love

A married teacher had an affair with an ex- pupil and pressured her to ‘get him lots of drugs’.

Advertisement

Robin Kyne, now 54, was a married drama teacher and later assistant principal, at the then Regent College from 2004 to 2010. During this time he made contact with a pupil he later had a relationship with when she left the school.

When Kyne was working for Leicester City Council in 2019 a pupil came forward about the relationship that took place in 2007.

Advertisement

After she left college messages between them “very quickly became graphic and sexual in nature”, LeicestershireLive reported.

It became physical in September 2007 and a month later they had sex for the first time.

Advertisement

As well as that, Kyne ‘asked and/or pressured’ the pupil into buying and transporting drugs for him. He threatened to cancel on her or break up with her if she didn’t.

During his time at the college, when she was a student, the inappropriate behaviour began during drama lessons.

Advertisement

Kyne took pupils’ phone numbers claiming he wanted to contact them about homework. But she said that whilst he did not text regularly, it was never about homework.

The contact increased when she left college and it was then it became sexually graphic in nature.

Advertisement

When it became physical, Kyne would have sex with the pupil when his wife was away.

Following the allegations, Kyne’s case was brought before a panel at the Teaching Regulation Agency who made the decision to ban him from teaching for life.

Advertisement

They received 467 pages of messages between Kyne and the pupil. In one of the messages, Kyne admitted: “You know I’ve always had a bit of a crush on you”.

Other messages include the teacher admitting “there were times when I could have just pulled you behind the curtains in the Studio”, but says he “never would have” as “that would have crossed the line”.

Advertisement

Mr Kyne then sent her further messages which were sexual in nature before it turned physical after he met up with her in September 2007.

However, the pupil said in her witness statement that the pair had kissed prior to the meeting – but the information on the document was redacted by the TRA. The panel then heard that, in or around October 2007, Mr Kyne had sex with the student.

Advertisement

The document reads: “When Pupil A came back to [REDACTED], she would visit his house when his wife was away. Pupil A recalled that they first had sexual intercourse in October 2007.”

It was after this that Kyne began pressuring the pupil into buying and moving drugs for him.

Advertisement

This began as she started university and the panel found Kyne’s behaviour was a “serious departure from the personal and professional conduct elements of the Teachers’ Standards”.

He was also found guilty of misconduct affecting the safeguarding and well-being of pupils.

Advertisement

They also said his actions were an abuse of trust of his professional position to have a romantic or sexual relationship with a pupil or former pupil, and sexual misconduct involving sexually motivated actions that exploit the trust and influence of his professional position.

The panel added that Mr Kyne’s actions were “deliberate” as well as being “calculated and motivated”.

Advertisement

As a result of his actions, the panel decided to ban Mr Kyne from teaching indefinitely, stopping him from teaching in any school, sixth form college, youth accommodations, or children’s homes, and will be unable to reapply to teach in the future.

The Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth I College, which now runs the former Regent College, has been approached for comment.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Read Stories