Connect with us

Foreign

Ceuta migrant crisis death toll rises to 72 as Spain tightens border security

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Spanish authorities said at least 72 people have died following the mass influx of migrants into the North African enclave of Ceuta, as Madrid stepped up border security and European nations called for stronger protection of the bloc’s external frontiers.

The death toll from the mass migrant influx into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta has risen to 72, local authorities said on Sunday, days after tens of thousands of people crossed from Morocco in the territory’s largest-ever migrant surge.

Most of the estimated 60,000 migrants, many of whom swam around the border post or crossed by sea, have since returned to Morocco following the unprecedented influx.

Miguel Angel Perez Triano, the Spanish government’s delegate to Ceuta, said the latest confirmed death toll stood at 72, up from the previously reported 67.

Advertisement

He added that more than 1,000 people had received medical treatment since Thursday. While the situation in Ceuta had improved significantly, officials said efforts to restore normality were still ongoing.

Authorities said many migrants drowned while attempting to swim across the sea, while others were crushed trying to climb the breakwater and border fence. Officials said economic hardship and social media rumours encouraging people to make the crossing had contributed to the mass movement.

Expressing grief over the tragedy, Karima Abenaz, a French national with family in Morocco, said it was heartbreaking to see young people and even infants dying during the dangerous journey.

Meanwhile, Ceuta regional leader Juan Jesus Vivas told El Pais that the city’s morgue had received 88 bodies, a figure that also included people who died in smaller migration attempts over the previous two weeks. He added that Moroccan authorities were also recovering bodies from the sea, although no official figures were available.

Advertisement

Authorities have reinforced police and army patrols and on Saturday installed a 500-metre (1,600-foot) floating barrier off Ceuta.

Twenty-two EU member states wrote a letter asking for coordinated action to protect external borders and other measures after the Ceuta incident. Italy suspended passport-free Schengen travel arrangements with Spain for one month.

Spain has adopted a more open stance on migrants than most other EU countries, introducing a programme to grant residency to more than half a million undocumented people.

It has rejected suggestions that the scheme encouraged the rush into Ceuta, saying that those who entered Ceuta irregularly could not travel on to mainland Spain or elsewhere in the Schengen zone.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Foreign

Canada insists on Dollar for Dollar tariffs after US trade talks failed

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

Canada has suspended trade negotiations with the United States after talks broke down, with Prime Minister Mark Carney warning that Ottawa will respond to new US tariffs with dollar-for-dollar measures.

The decision came shortly before a deadline for reaching a deal, following weeks of negotiations aimed at easing tensions between the two major trading partners.

Mr Carney said significant progress had been made, but it was not enough to meet Canada’s objectives. He criticised last-minute changes to the US proposals, describing them as unfair and economically damaging.

Advertisement

Last-minute changes in the US proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal,” he said.

The breakdown means a new wave of US tariffs will now affect a range of Canadian products. The 50% levies apply to about 5% of Canadian exports, including wine, dairy products, cement, clothing and hockey equipment.

The new tariffs come on top of existing US duties on Canadian steel, aluminium, cars and lumber.

Canada sends about 70% of its exports to the US, making the country particularly vulnerable to a prolonged trade dispute.

Advertisement

Mr Carney said Canada would impose reciprocal tariffs on American goods, matching the value of the US measures “dollar for dollar”.

The announcement marks a sharp change in tone after officials from both countries had expressed optimism earlier in the week that a trade agreement was close.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer accused Canada of backing away from commitments reached during negotiations.

Tonight, Canada declined to finalise the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week,” he said.

Advertisement

The negotiations had reportedly included discussions over reducing US tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium from 50% to 25%, while tariffs on Canadian vehicles could have fallen from 25% to 15%.

In return, the US had sought concessions from Canada, including greater access for American dairy products and the removal of restrictions on US alcohol sales in Canadian provinces.

Canadian businesses have warned that the tariffs could cause significant economic damage.

The Canadian Chamber of Commerce described the new measures as a “body blow to North American competitiveness”, warning that smaller exporters could struggle to maintain orders, payrolls and jobs.

Advertisement

Economists have estimated that Canada could lose about 90,000 jobs if the tariffs remain in place, while financial analysts have projected that the measures could reduce Canada’s gross domestic product by between 0.3% and 0.6%.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford backed the federal government’s response, calling for “tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar”.

The latest dispute adds to growing tensions between the two countries since US President Donald Trump returned to office and introduced a broad programme of tariffs.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Foreign

Tupac Murder Trial: Witness Tells Duane Davis He Does Not Want to Send Him to Prison

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The murder trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis, who is accused of orchestrating the 1996 killing of legendary rapper Tupac Shakur, has taken an emotional turn after a former associate of Death Row Records co-founder Suge Knight appeared reluctant to provide testimony that could further implicate Davis.

James McDonald, a former associate of Knight and a former security figure at Club 662 in Las Vegas, was called to testify during the trial. However, from the beginning of his testimony, McDonald made it clear that he was uncomfortable discussing events from his past and did not want his evidence to contribute to Davis being sent to prison.

McDonald described himself as a hostile witness and told attorneys that he had only appeared in court because he had been subpoenaed. He indicated that he had moved on from the lifestyle he lived decades ago and was reluctant to revisit events connected to the violence and rivalries of the 1990s.

During questioning, McDonald became increasingly frustrated when attorneys asked him about tensions between different factions in Compton following the shooting of Tupac. He repeatedly declined to answer some questions, saying that providing certain information could hurt Davis.

Advertisement

At one point, McDonald directly addressed Davis in court and said he did not want to send him to prison, despite acknowledging that the two men did not like each other.

The exchange highlighted the difficulty prosecutors face in presenting evidence about a case that dates back nearly three decades. Several people who were connected to the events surrounding Tupac’s death have been reluctant to discuss what they knew, leaving investigators and prosecutors to rely on available testimony and other evidence.

McDonald also told the court that he had changed his life. He said he was now focused on raising his grandchildren and teaching them not to follow the lifestyle he had previously lived.

The witness acknowledged that he was aware of events and tensions that took place in the aftermath of Tupac’s shooting, but he maintained that he did not want to reopen old conflicts.

Advertisement

McDonald was also questioned about the relationship between Death Row Records figures and members of rival groups. He described the atmosphere in Compton after Tupac was shot as tense but indicated that the conflict was primarily connected to individuals rather than something he personally wanted to continue discussing.

He further rejected suggestions that former Death Row security chief Reggie Wright Jr. had coordinated Tupac’s killing, describing such a possibility as impossible. McDonald said he had known Wright for many years and did not believe he was responsible for the rapper’s death.

McDonald also confirmed that he was not present when Tupac was shot in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. He said he learned about the shooting afterward and recalled that people initially believed Tupac might survive.

The testimony comes as prosecutors attempt to establish their case against Davis, who has pleaded not guilty to the charge. Prosecutors allege that Davis played a role in organising the shooting following an earlier confrontation involving his nephew, Orlando Anderson.

Advertisement

Davis has previously acknowledged being present in the vehicle from which the shooting was carried out, but his defence has argued that statements he made about the incident were not reliable and should not be treated as an admission of guilt.

Tupac was shot in a drive-by attack in Las Vegas in September 1996 and died several days later. His death became one of the most enduring mysteries in music history, with the investigation remaining unresolved for decades.

Davis was eventually arrested and charged in connection with the case years later. His trial has now brought renewed attention to the circumstances surrounding Tupac’s death and the people who were connected to the events at the time.

McDonald’s testimony demonstrates the challenges involved in revisiting a case that has remained unresolved for almost 30 years. His reluctance to provide certain answers also reflects the complicated relationships and history surrounding the people involved.

Advertisement

The trial remains ongoing, and the allegations against Davis have not been established as fact. The court will ultimately determine whether the prosecution has presented sufficient evidence to prove the charge against him.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Ship Hit By Unknown Projectile While Leaving Strait Of Hormuz

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A ship hit by an unknown projectile while leaving the Strait of Hormuz has suffered damage to its engine room, with a crew member reported as a casualty, maritime authorities said on Tuesday.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said the incident occurred as the vessel was transiting outbound through the strategic waterway off the coast of Oman.

The vessel’s engine room was damaged in the attack, while the Omani coastguard moved to assist the remaining crew members. No environmental impact has been reported.

The identity of the vessel, the type of projectile used and the group responsible for the attack have not been established.

Advertisement

According to report, investigations are ongoing.

UKMTO advised commercial vessels operating in the area to exercise caution and report any suspicious activity.

The incident comes amid heightened tensions between the United States and Iran and a severe disruption to commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Shipping data showed only six commodity vessels crossed the waterway on Monday, compared with a 10-day average of 11. No very large crude carriers or liquefied natural gas tankers were recorded crossing on Monday.

Advertisement

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy routes, making the latest attack a fresh concern for global oil supplies and shipping.

The incident involving the ship hit by the unknown projectile also comes after the expiration of a 60-day US-Iran negotiation window without a broader peace agreement, leaving tensions over the strategic waterway unresolved.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News