Economy
N1.34bn disappears from the accounts of four Access Bank customers
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/Access-Bank-1000x575.jpg&description=N1.34bn disappears from the accounts of four Access Bank customers', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/Access-Bank-1000x575.jpg&description=N1.34bn disappears from the accounts of four Access Bank customers', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
A humongous sum of N1.34 billion has been transferred without authorisation from the accounts of four customers of Access Bank Plc.
According to Access Bank, the alleged fraud was discovered when it resumed operations on August 12, 2026.
The bank said its preliminary investigation showed that four customer accounts were affected, with a total of N1,340,425,393 allegedly transferred without authorisation.
The affected accounts include MIB TXN Bullion-Aba Branch, from which N590,975,889 was allegedly transferred; AllCO General Insurance Company Limited, involving N420,449,504; Apogee Engineering Limited, involving N136 million; and Sims Nigeria Limited, involving N193 million.
The bank said its internal investigation traced portions of the funds to accounts domiciled with Access Bank and the 71 respondent financial institutions.
Access Bank Plc has approached the Federal High Court in Lagos seeking an order to freeze accounts linked to beneficiaries of the alleged unauthorised transfer. The bank filed the application, marked Suit No. FHC/LAG/CS/1168/2026, against the alleged beneficiary 71 financial institutions and payment service providers, asking the court to preserve the funds allegedly transferred through its Access SME App.
“The Applicant’s internal investigation revealed that monies moved from the accounts without authorisation had been dissipated to several accounts domiciled with the Applicant and the 1st–71st Respondents,” the bank said in the affidavit accompanying the suit.
Access Bank also said it traced the Bank Verification Numbers (BVNs) associated with the alleged beneficiaries and identified other accounts linked to the BVNs.
The lender is asking the court to direct the respondent banks, fintechs and payment service providers to place post-no-debit (PND) restrictions on accounts and BVNs linked to the allegedly diverted funds.
Under the proposed order, the restrictions would apply to the amount received by each beneficiary and remain in place pending the determination of the substantive application.
The bank is also seeking orders compelling the respondent institutions to disclose the amounts recovered from the affected accounts and provide details of the accounts identified in schedules attached to the application.
In addition, Access Bank wants the relevant BVNs watchlisted and the movement or dissipation of funds prevented until the entire N1.34 billion is recovered, to the extent received by each beneficiary.
It further asked the court to direct the reversal of any recovered funds into an Access Bank account belonging to the applicant.
The bank told the court that it had immediately contacted the respondent institutions after discovering the alleged fraud, notifying them of the incident and requesting that the funds be preserved and relevant account details supplied.
According to the affidavit, some of the respondent institutions had already placed PND restrictions on certain accounts. However, Access Bank said a court order was required to sustain the restrictions.
“The 1st–71st Respondents have placed a PND on the accounts, but they need an order of this Honourable Court to sustain it,” the bank stated.
Access Bank argued that urgent judicial intervention was necessary to prevent further dissipation of the funds and preserve assets potentially connected to the alleged fraud.
“There is an urgent need for the order of this court to preserve the res and every other account in receipt of the funds to avoid further dissipation of the funds,” it said.
The bank further argued that it had a responsibility to ensure that funds transferred from customers’ accounts without authorisation were not withdrawn, moved or otherwise dissipated before recovery.
It also told the court that the application was necessary to combat cybercrime, which it said had the potential to undermine Nigeria’s economic and national interests.
“The grant of this application is also necessary to prevent cybercrime which has the capacity to undermine economic and national interest,” the affidavit stated.
Access Bank undertook to pay damages if the court subsequently determines that the order ought not to have been granted, while warning that delay could result in irreparable damage and financial losses.
The application was brought pursuant to Order 26 Rule 6 of the Federal High Court (Civil Procedure) Rules 2019, relevant provisions of the 1999 Constitution and the inherent jurisdiction of the court.
Access Bank is represented by lawyers from Country Hill Attorneys and Solicitors, including Ifeoma Esther Enyinnaya, Aishat Nurudeen and Faith Itua-Oboh.
The respondent institutions include major banks such as First Bank, Fidelity Bank, Ecobank, FCMB, GTBank, Keystone Bank, Stanbic IBTC, Union Bank, United Bank for Africa, Wema Bank and Zenith Bank, as well as numerous microfinance banks, fintechs and payment service providers, including OPay, PalmPay, Moniepoint, Kuda, Paga and SmartCash.
Economy
See Dollar to Naira exchange rate today, August 19, 2026
The naira further appreciated on Tuesday in the official market, trading at N1,343.32 to the U.S. dollar.
The naira further appreciated on Tuesday in the official market, trading at N1,343.32 to the U.S. dollar.
Data from the Central Bank of Nigeria showed that the currency gained N6.21 against the dollar.
The latest rate represents a 0.4 per cent appreciation compared with Monday’s rate of N1,349.53 per dollar.
The appreciation underscores the naira’s recent relative stability amid ongoing reforms by the apex bank.
The CBN has sustained measures to improve foreign exchange market transparency, strengthen liquidity, and restore confidence.
The naira’s latest performance reflects continued developments in the official foreign exchange market and efforts to achieve greater exchange rate stability.
(NAN)
Economy
How to apply: FG opens access to 250,000 free business name registrations
The Federal Government has opened access to 250,000 free business name registrations for eligible entrepreneurs across Nigeria as part of efforts to support the growth and development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
The initiative, approved under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is designed to ease the cost of formalising small businesses and encourage more entrepreneurs to register their businesses.
Interested and eligible entrepreneurs have been advised to apply through the official SMEDAN portal at portal.smedan.gov.ng to become beneficiaries of the programme.
The registration is completely free, with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) expected to process the business name registration without charging applicants.
The government also warned entrepreneurs to be wary of fraudsters who may attempt to exploit the programme.
Applicants have been advised not to pay anyone claiming to have the ability to fast-track or secure their registration, as no payment is required for the approved free registration.
Entrepreneurs seeking to benefit from the initiative are therefore encouraged to use only the official SMEDAN portal and avoid sharing payments or personal information with unauthorised agents.
Economy
Over 5,000 fibre cuts recorded in six months – NCC
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has disclosed that more than 5,000 fibre-optic cable cut incidents were recorded across the country in the first six months of 2026, with road construction, excavation and related civil works identified among the major causes.
The Executive Vice-Chairman of the NCC, Dr Aminu Maida, disclosed this on Tuesday at a stakeholders’ workshop on the protection of fibre-optic cables during road construction, excavation and other activities in Nigeria.
Maida said the high number of incidents required stronger collaboration between telecommunications operators, road contractors, government agencies, regulators and security institutions to prevent further damage to critical telecommunications infrastructure.
According to him, many of the incidents occurred because of inadequate coordination among stakeholders involved in road and other construction activities. He said the consequences of fibre cuts extended beyond the immediate physical damage to cables, stressing that they could disrupt essential services and affect millions of Nigerians.
The NCC boss recalled the nationwide telecommunications disruption in February 2024, when fibre cuts, including those caused by road construction, affected one of the major telecommunications operators. He said millions of subscribers were unable to make calls, send messages or access the internet for several hours, while subscribers who moved to alternative networks caused congestion on those networks.
According to him, the incident demonstrated how damage to one network could quickly have wider national consequences.
“In the first six months of this year alone, more than 5,000 fibre cut incidents were reported from road excavation, construction, and related civil work. A damaged fibre cable is therefore not simply a cost to an operator, it is a cost to Nigerians and to the wider economy.
“Those affected were not numbers in an incident report. They were parents, businesses, workers, and citizens cut off from people and services on which they depended on,” Maida said.
He stressed that preventing fibre cuts should be prioritised rather than waiting to repair damaged infrastructure after incidents had occurred.
Maida said telecommunications operators must provide accurate information on the location of their infrastructure and respond promptly when contacted before construction begins. He added that contractors must check for underground infrastructure before excavation and make adequate plans for its protection.
The NCC chief also urged regulators and security agencies to provide guidance and ensure accountability, stressing that coordination should form part of the design and execution of every relevant infrastructure project.
He said the commission remained committed to working with public and private stakeholders to make coordination a standard practice in road construction and other civil works.
Earlier, the Director of Critical National Assets and Infrastructure Protection in the Office of the National Security Adviser, AVM Effiong Ewa, said the protection of fibre-optic infrastructure was a shared national responsibility.
Ewa noted that telecommunications infrastructure had been designated as Critical National Information Infrastructure, warning that negligence or interference that exposed the assets to damage could constitute an offence under Nigeria’s legal framework.
He called for strict adherence to established protocols, guidelines and procedures during construction and maintenance activities.
Also speaking, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Works, Mr Rafiu Adeladan, said the ministry recognised that road and telecommunications infrastructure often operated within the same physical space.
He said excavation, grading, reconstruction, utility relocation and other road activities could inadvertently damage vital fibre-optic infrastructure where adequate coordination and precautions were not in place.
Adeladan called for stronger mechanisms for coordination and information sharing before and during road construction activities. He said road contractors, consultants and relevant agencies should have access to accurate information on the location of telecommunications infrastructure before excavation begins.
On his part, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Engr Nadungu Gagare, said protecting telecommunications infrastructure was not the responsibility of one institution, but required collaboration among government ministries, regulators, security agencies, construction companies, utility providers and other stakeholders.
Gagare said the Federal Government had established a tripartite standing committee on the protection of fibre-optic infrastructure to strengthen collaboration and promote a coordinated approach to infrastructure protection.
He said the committee would also promote compliance with established standards and right-of-way regulations, improve information sharing and support measures to prevent avoidable damage.
The workshop, organised by the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Works, NCC, Office of the National Security Adviser and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, is aimed at developing practical measures to protect fibre-optic cables during road construction and other civil works.
-
News17 hours agoWike Stops Use Of FCT Green Areas As Car Dealership Lots, Others
-
News17 hours agoPainful! 24 Plateau Attack Victims Receive Mass Burial as Women Protest Killings
-
News17 hours agoWatch Abuja residents hailing Wike as they chant 4+4
-
Economy17 hours agoSee Dollar to Naira exchange rate today, August 19, 2026
-
News15 hours agoWike: Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road, 9 Others Ready Before 2027 Polls
-
News13 hours agoBREAKING: Gov Adeleke narrowly escapes death as gunmen attack convoy
-
News17 hours agoFG Says ‘No Going Back on Subsidy Removal’, Defends Tinubu’s Economic Reforms
-
News13 hours ago2027: Defence minister warns, no amount of security measures can work once politicians decide to go violent
