Connect with us

News

Finally, oil prices crash to $72 pre-war level

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

Finally oil prices dropped to $72 per barrel on Thursday from about $120 per barrel, their lowest level since the US-Iran conflict began in February.

Brent crude futures for August delivery fell $1.06, or 1.44%, to $72.68 a barrel by 0639 GMT, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate lost 76 cents, or 1.08%, to $69.58 a barrel.

According to Oilprice.com, crude oil had fallen from $76.75 per barrel on Tuesday to $73.50 on Wednesday, after surging during the conflict as tensions threatened shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Advertisement

Rising Middle Eastern supply, together with Iran set to boost sales after a reprieve from U.S. sanctions, drove down prices of physical crude oil cargoes around the world.

Traders grew optimistic that the US-Iran agreement would help keep the strategic waterway open, alongside reports of a slight increase in shipping traffic.

An initial accord last week to ‌end ⁠the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran, which began on February 28, has allowed the resumption of traffic through the strait.

The accord set up 60 days of negotiations to tackle tougher issues, such as Iran’s nuclear programme. Wright said oil would continue to flow through the strait even if the deal did not hold, and that Iran would not be able to close it again.

Advertisement

Oman opened temporary routes on ⁠Wednesday to ease tanker departures from the strait, with the International Maritime Organization and Omani authorities coordinating movements.
According to CNN, traders are still monitoring whether traffic continues to flow smoothly through the strait and whether tensions remain contained across the Middle East.

On Tuesday, President of the United States, Donald Trump, said a record 19 million barrels of oil flowed out of the Strait of Hormuz on Monday. According to Trump, oil prices are tumbling as a result of the oil flow through Hormuz.

“19 million barrels of oil flowed out of the Hormuz Strait yesterday, an all-time record. Oil prices are tumbling down, and the world is a much safer place,” Trump said in a post on his social media handles.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

EFCC Declares Two Oasis Vivacity Global Directors Wanted Over Alleged Fraud

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has declared two directors of Oasis Vivacity Global Limited wanted over alleged conspiracy, obtaining money by false pretence and fraudulent diversion of funds.

The suspects are identified as 31-year-old Victoria Chidinma Nwachukwu and 32-year-old Oluwatosin Osasona Adekunle.
The Commission announced their wanted status in separate notices issued on Wednesday and signed by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale.

According to the EFCC, Nwachukwu, a native of Imo State, is wanted in connection with an alleged case of conspiracy, obtaining money by false pretence and fraudulent diversion of funds.

Her last known address was given as House No. 3, Millennium Estate, Alhaji Gbenga Ashafa Street, Gbagada, Lagos State.

Advertisement

Adekunle, who is from Ekiti State and is also linked to Oasis Vivacity Global Limited, was declared wanted over the same alleged offences.
The EFCC said his last known address is also House No. 3, Millennium Estate, Alhaji Gbenga Ashafa Street, Gbagada, Lagos State.

The anti-graft agency urged anyone with information that could assist in locating either of the suspects to report to the Commission at its offices in Ibadan, Uyo, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Benin, Makurdi, Kaduna, Ilorin, Enugu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Port Harcourt or Abuja.

The Commission also provided the telephone number 08093322644 for members of the public who may have useful information about the whereabouts of the two suspects.

The EFCC did not disclose further details of the alleged fraud in the notices announcing their wanted status.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Joyful noise in Sen Ikpea’s Senior Legislative Aide home as he welcomes baby boy after 14 years

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

After 14 years of waiting, miscarriages, medical consultations, prayers and painful disappointments, Hon. Rufus Alele, a senior legislative aide to Senator Joseph Ikpea Igiagbe, and his wife have welcomed their first child, a baby boy.

Alele, in an emotional testimony titled “My Life, My Story: For Fourteen Years, My Wife and I Carried a Pain No One Could See – Until God Changed Our Story,” said the birth of his son marked the end of a long and painful journey.

“For the first time in fourteen years, I am holding my own child in my arms,” he wrote. He added: “For the first time in fourteen years, I have heard the cry of a baby that belongs to my wife and me.” But how does a couple endure 14 years of waiting for something many people take for granted?

According to him, he and his wife married in May 2012 with hopes of raising a family, but their dream did not come easily. Years of hospital visits, laboratory tests, medications, medical consultations, fasting and prayers followed. “We never imagined that our journey to parenthood would last fourteen years,”

Advertisement

Alele said. How many disappointments can a couple endure before hope begins to fade? How many nights can they cry privately while maintaining smiles before the world? The couple experienced several pregnancies, but each ended in miscarriage.

Alele recalled the pain of repeatedly celebrating pregnancies only to lose them. “How do you mourn children you never had the chance to carry?” he asked. “How do you explain the silence that fills a home after beautiful dreams suddenly disappear?”

The losses, he said, left deep wounds, but he and his wife continued to comfort each other and hold on to their faith.

The year 2021, according to Alele, became one of the darkest periods of their lives after his wife lost a pregnancy that had reached five months.

Advertisement

Seeking better medical care and a fresh beginning, the couple relocated from Benin City to Lagos on December 28, 2021. Yet, the miscarriages continued, including the loss of a twin pregnancy. How much more pain could they take? How many times could they rebuild their hopes after another devastating loss?

Alele also recalled the painful words of people who questioned their childlessness.

He said someone once asked his wife in Benin: “Are you not ashamed? You will soon reach menopause, yet you have no child.” Another family member reportedly advised his wife to leave the marriage, while someone in Lagos later made a similar suggestion. For a couple already fighting a private battle, could such words do anything other than deepen their pain?

A major turning point came when Alele finally opened up to his principal, Senator Joseph Ikpea Igiagbe, about the struggle.

Advertisement

He said Senator Ikpea listened, comforted him, prayed with him and assured him that he and his wife would eventually become parents. Could one word of encouragement change the outlook of someone who had almost lost hope? Alele said the Senator’s assurance became “a seed of hope” in his heart.
He said Senator Ikpea later arranged for his wife to meet Mrs Evelyn Ikpea in Warri. According to Alele, Mrs Ikpea became a mother figure who prayed with his wife, encouraged her and strengthened her faith. The couple also connected them with medical specialists and personally supported medical expenses running into millions of naira.

Alele said, “Looking back today, I see more than human kindness. I see the hand of God working through compassionate people.”

Towards the end of January 2026, the couple received news that changed their lives: his wife was pregnant again. However, their excitement was accompanied by fear because of their history of miscarriages. Weeks later, she began bleeding and they rushed to the hospital. After the scan, a medical staff member reportedly told them: “The baby is alive.” What could have been more powerful to a couple who had already lost several pregnancies?

Alele said both he and his wife broke down in tears.
Because the pregnancy remained delicate, his wife stayed in hospital under close medical supervision until she gave birth.

Advertisement

Alele said the period tested him emotionally, spiritually, mentally and financially, “Every day my prayer remained the same: ‘Lord, preserve my wife. Preserve our child,’” he recalled. Finally, after 14 years, the prayer was answered as he held his newborn son in his arms.

In gratitude for the people he believes God used to change their story, Alele and his wife decided to name their son Igiagbe, in honour of Senator Joseph Ikpea Igiagbe. Reflecting on the journey, he said: “His silence was never His absence. While we were waiting, He was working.”

He urged couples still waiting for the fruit of the womb not to give up, asking: “Who will inherit everything we have if we never have children?” For Alele and his wife, that question has finally been replaced by the laughter of a child after 14 years of waiting.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

83 Nigerians Return Home from South Africa as FG Commends Private Sponsors

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Gloria Ikibah

The Federal Government has confirmed the arrival of 83 Nigerian returnees from South Africa, describing the successful repatriation as another demonstration of its commitment to protecting the welfare of citizens living abroad.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday announced that the returnees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, aboard a South African Airways flight from Johannesburg.

According to the ministry, the returnees were accompanied by two officials from the Consulate-General of Nigeria in Johannesburg.

Advertisement

In a statement signed by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the government disclosed that the latest evacuation exercise was made possible through the intervention of private individuals who paid for the flight tickets.

“The Ministry wishes to reiterate the fact that the repatriation exercise of this batch of returnees was facilitated through the procurement of flight tickets by good-spirited private individuals, whose generous support enabled their safe return to Nigeria,” the statement said.

The ministry noted that upon arrival in Lagos, the returnees were officially received by the Director of the African Affairs Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Haruna Ali-Gombe, who welcomed them on behalf of the Federal Government.

Following their arrival, the returnees were handed over to the appropriate government agencies for documentation and profiling before being reunited with their families.

Advertisement

“Upon arrival, the returnees were received by the Director, African Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Haruna Ali-Gombe, who welcomed them on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria.

“Thereafter, they were handed over to the relevant Government Agencies for necessary documentation and profiling ahead of their reunification with their families,” the statement added.

The ministry expressed appreciation to the Nigerian Mission in South Africa, the private individuals who financed the operation and the agencies that coordinated the reception process.

It also reaffirmed the government’s commitment to ensuring the safety and welfare of Nigerians living overseas.

Advertisement

“The Federal Government remains committed to the welfare and safe return of all Nigerian citizens abroad and expresses profound appreciation to the Nigerian Mission in South Africa, the private individuals who sponsored the exercise, and all agencies involved in ensuring a smooth reception and reintegration process,” the ministry stated.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News