News
SANs List Expectations As S’Court Justices Rise To 21

The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, on Monday, swore in 11 new Justices of the Supreme Court, bringing the number of Justices on the apex court bench to 21.
The development was hailed by Senior Advocates of Nigeria, who expressed the hope that it would translate to the clearing of the huge backlog of cases at the Supreme Court.
The swearing-in of the 11 Justices comes over two months after they were screened and confirmed by the Senate, acting on the recommendation of President Bola Tinubu.
Before now the number of Justices on the Supreme Court bench went down to an all-time low of 10, as opposed to 21 recommended by the Constitution.
The appointment of an additional 11 Justices, giving the Supreme Court its full complement of Justices, followed agitations and calls from several quarters on the declining manpower at the apex court.
At the swearing-in, which took place at the Main Courtroom of the Supreme Court in Abuja on Monday, the CJN noted that the 11 new Justices were joining the apex court bench “at a time when the rank had been grossly depleted to an all-time low of 10 Justices for a number of reasons, mainly retirement, and deaths.”
“The inability of the court to meet up the statutory full compliment of 21 Justices had lingered on for too long,” the CJN remarked.
Speaking with The PUNCH, a former Attorney General of Abia State, Chief Awa Kalu (SAN), said with the Supreme Court now having its full complement of Justices, “we expect them to crack down on the backlog of cases in that court. That is the expectation of everybody, and it is a legitimate expectation.”
Similarly, human rights lawyer, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN), said, “It is commendable that we have 21 Justices, but I believe it goes just beyond numbers.”
Adegboruwa said the appointment of the 21 Justices must be complemented with the provision of necessary equipment that would aid justice delivery at the apex court.
He said, “It’s important that there is a paradigm shift that will focus on equipping the Justices with the needed infrastructure and personnel to perform.
“Then limit the number of interlocutory appeals that go to the Supreme Court so that it can properly focus on policy decisions that will give a guideline on serious legal matters.
“Then the quality of the judgment. To avoid matters in which we have conflicting judgments, there’s a need for the Supreme Court to sit down and to exert its previous decisions with the purpose of harmonising seemingly contradictory views that have been expressed by the apex court.”
Meanwhile, the CJN, at the swearing-in of the Justices, charged them to brace up for the work ahead and to be prepared to face criticisms from the public.
He said they must discharge their duty in fairness and uprightness, knowing that they were representatives of God on earth.
Justice Ariwoola said, “See yourselves as the representatives of God on earth because any judgment given at this level can only be overturned in heaven.
“There is no way you can please human beings, especially litigants. The easiest way to fail in life is by trying to please everyone. The only deity you can fear is the Almighty God. Once your judgment is in consonance with what God expects from you, and is also in accordance with the Constitution, you should consider yourself the happiest and freest person on earth.”
The CJN also cautioned the Justices against allowing their ambition to cloud their sense of judgment.
“Your moral uprightness, integrity, and respect for the constitution and other extant laws in operation must be unwavering and unassailable,” he added.
The new Supreme Court Justices are Justices
Jummai Sankey, Chidiebere Uwa, Chioma Nwosu-Iheme, Haruna Simon Tsammani, Moore Adumein, Obande Ogbuinya, and Stephen Adah.
Others are Habeeb Abiru, Jamilu Tukur, Abubakar Umar, and Mohammed Idris.
News
“How we imortalised Olunloyo before his death-Makinde

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde has said he is happy that former governor of the State, Omololu Olunloyo was imortalised before his demise.
Makinde, in a condolence message by his media aide Sulaimon Olanrewaju on Sunday, said the country had lost a patriotic leader, an icon and one of its most cerebral former administrators with the politician’s demise.
The governor said it is sad that the late mathematical guru and administrator passed away before his 90th birthday.
“This death hits differently because I was looking forward to Baba’s 90th birthday, which would have come up on April 14. However, we have to submit to the will of God, who gives and takes lives as He wills.
“My joy is that our government immortalised and honoured Pa Olunloyo in his lifetime and he was present to witness it as we named the Ibadan Airport Road and the Leisure Park on the axis after him in recognition of his service to the state.
“May the Lord grant repose to his soul and give his family the fortitude to bear his demise,” Mr Makinde said.
The death of Mr Olunloyo was confirmed on Sunday morning through a statement by his family.
The deceased died just a few days before his 90th birthday, according to the statement.
News
Iran turns down Trump’s call for direct nuclear talks

Iran’s top diplomat has rejected direct negotiations with the United States as pointless, his office said Sunday, after US President Donald Trump said he preferred face-to-face talks over its nuclear programme.
Trump sent a letter to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei last month calling for negotiations but warning of military action if diplomacy failed.
On Thursday, the US president said he favoured “direct talks”, arguing they were “faster” and offered a better understanding than going through intermediaries.
But Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said direct talks made no sense with a country “that constantly threatens to resort to force in violation of the UN Charter and that expresses contradictory positions from its various officials”.
“We remain committed to diplomacy and are ready to try the path of indirect negotiations,” he was quoted as saying in a statement issued by his ministry.
Iran keeps itself prepared for all possible or probable events, and just as it is serious in diplomacy and negotiations, it will also be decisive and serious in defending its national interests and sovereignty.”
On Saturday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said his country was willing to engage in dialogue with the United States on an “equal footing”.
He also questioned Washington’s sincerity in calling for negotiations, saying “if you want negotiations, then what is the point of threatening?”
Iran and the United States have had no diplomatic relations since shortly after the 1979 Islamic Revolution with some regional countries like Oman playing a mediating role between the two sides.
Letter diplomacy
Trump’s letter was delivered to Iran via the United Arab Emirates, and Tehran responded at the end of March via the Sultanate of Oman.
On Sunday, the chief of staff of the Iranian armed forces, General Mohammad Bagheri, said Iran’s response stressed that “we seek peace in the region”.
“We are not the ones who start wars, but we will respond to any threat with all our might,” he said of the content of Iran’s response.
Western countries, led by the United States, have for decades accused Tehran of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.
Iran rejects the allegation and maintains that its nuclear activities exist solely for civilian purposes.
In 2015, Iran reached a landmark deal with the permanent members of the UN Security Council, namely the United States, France, China, Russia, and the United Kingdom, as well as Germany, to limit its nuclear activities.
The 2015 agreement — known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action — gave Iran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear programme to guarantee that Tehran could not develop a nuclear weapon.
In 2018, during Trump’s first term in office, the United States withdrew from the agreement and reinstated biting sanctions on Iran.
A year later, Iran began rolling back on its commitments under the agreement and accelerated its nuclear programme.
On Monday, Ali Larijani, a close adviser to Khamenei, warned that while Iran was not seeking nuclear weapons, it would “have no choice but to do so” in the event of an attack against it.
News
Nigerian Army ‘Destr0ys Over 70 Bandits Dens In Taraba, Wastes Three Terrorists’

During the operation, three terrorists were reportedly eliminated, and security forces recovered firearms and logistical supplies.
The Nigerian Army says it has destroyed over 70 camps used by bandits in Taraba State, as part of a continued effort to combat terrorism in the region.
During the operation, three terrorists were reportedly eliminated, and security forces recovered firearms and logistical supplies.
SaharaReporters learnt that the military engaged the terrorists at a hideout in Achelle, situated within the Karim Lamido Local Government Area, as part of their ongoing efforts to dismantle the remaining elements of terrorist groups in the state.
Captain Oni Olubodunde, spokesperson for the 6 Brigade of the Nigerian Army in Jalingo, confirmed the operation, stating that its primary objective was to identify and neutralise dangerous criminals active in the area.
Olubodunde further reported that, in addition to eliminating the three terrorists, security personnel seized an AK-47 rifle, ammunition, and two motorcycles during the operation, which took place on April 5, 2025.
“In continuation of Operation Lafiya Jama’a, a military offensive to remove criminal elements from Taraba State, the brave troops of the 6 Brigade Nigerian Army and Sector 3 Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) successfully neutralised three bandits, destroyed several camps, and seized weapons and ammunition during a daring clearance operation conducted in the Karim Lamido Local Government Area on April 5, 2025,” said Olubodunde.
The operation targeted suspected bandit hideouts, beginning in Achelle, where troops carried out a thorough sweep before advancing to Chibi.
As forces reportedly approached Chibi, the bandits attempted to escape but were intercepted. In the ensuing clash, three bandits were eliminated, and multiple makeshift camps were destroyed. Security personnel also seized two motorcycles, an AK-47 magazine, and 13 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.
Furthermore, troops conducted extensive searches in the Dutsen Zaki and Achalle areas, where over 70 criminal camps have been dismantled in recent weeks.
According to Olubodunde, no signs of human activity were detected during this latest operation, underscoring the effectiveness of previous security efforts.
Brigadier General Kingsley Chidiebere Uwa, Commander of the 6 Brigade Nigerian Army, praised the troops for their dedication and strategic execution. He reassured the people of Taraba State that terrorists and criminals would find no refuge in the region.
General Uwa also urged residents to remain vigilant while going about their daily activities without fear. He emphasised the importance of maintaining law and order.
He encouraged the public to provide timely and credible information to security agencies, stressing that such cooperation is essential for ensuring the safety of local communities.
-
Politics8 hours ago
Tinubu Gives Fani Kayode, Others New Appointments (See Full List)
-
News8 hours ago
DANGER! Ex-Soldier Abubakar Affan Vows to Kill VeryDarkMan ‘Like Deborah Samuel’
-
News24 hours ago
Security Alert: Police alert officers ahead of nationwide protest over living costs, free speech
-
News12 hours ago
Why NYSC maybe extended by FG- Minister
-
News22 hours ago
VOA Halts Operations In Nigeria, Others Over President Trump
-
News11 hours ago
Ibas moves to rehabilitate damaged Rivers LG secretariats
-
News8 hours ago
Just in: Ex-Oyo governor, Olunloyo is dead
-
Economy12 hours ago
CBN allocates $197.71m into FX market to support naira