Connect with us

News

Fear of hunger protesters, FG launches sale of 50kg rice at N40k

Published

on

The Federal Government on Monday said it has started to distribute an additional 10 trucks of 50kg rice to each state to be sold at designated centres at N40,000

This is as the Federal Executive Council, FEC, has insisted that there is no need for the protest as most of the demands put forward by the organizers are being addressed.

Already, ahead of the August 1 national protest, President Bola Tinubu has said that he is protesting on behalf of the youth by addressing most of their grievances.

Briefing State House correspondents at the end of the Council meeting, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, disclosed that 10 trucks of rice to each state was a measure put in place to address poverty and high cost of living.

Advertisement

The Minister said, “And the position of the FEC is that most of the demands that the protesters are making are actually being addressed by the federal government and therefore it is the view of the government that there is really no need for the protests again because most of those things that the protesters are putting forward are already actually been addressed or are being addressed by government and like we have said repeatedly, this is a listening government.

“The President has listened to be voices of all those who are planning this protest. And the message is that there is no need for it.

“Indeed, the President is already protesting on their behalf by doing those things that they want a government to do for example, the effort that government is making, in ensuring that food is being made available.

“The last Council meeting here at the briefing, we announced that a number of trucks 20 precisely had been given to the state governors for onward distribution to those who actually In need of them to poorest of the poor in society and those who are actually in need, but government did not stop there there is also rice that is being sold at about 50% of its cost, a bag of rice is being sold at N40,000 as we speak now.

Advertisement

“This rice have been taken to various centers across all the states of the federation, and is being sold at 40,000 Naira, centers have been created. So that those who need this rice can go there and buy this rice at 40,000 naira

“In the first instance, about 10 trucks have been made available to each of these states and indeed, this is just the beginning I know that some of the comments you hear is that it is never enough. Government has not pretended that this supplies are indeed enough. But these are necessary first steps that are being made and more of such interventions are being made in the interim.

“Of course, this is like I I said an interim measure because there is so much investment that is going into the agricultural sector. And the rainy season is here. We expect that the prices of food items will come down as investments are also being made not just for the traditional agricultural produce, but also for the irrigation activities in many of these states of the federation. So we expect that as we move forward, prizes of food items, commodities will of course, come down.

“These are part of of the measures and the President feels and the federal executive council believes that already some of the youth wont protest, some of the answers that they are looking for are already actually being provided. For example, only recently the federal government has begun the disbursement of the students loans. There’s a provision already for
over two million students.

Advertisement

“Only about 110,000 applications have thus far been received as at last week, of course, more are going to come. So there’s adequate provision for all those who are qualified, who can access these loans and who have fulfilled this condition.”

He said that the desire of the President is to ensure that no student, no young person that has gained admission into any of the nation’s tertiary institutions will be left out because his parents or his guardian is unable to pay for his fees.

“But beyond that, there is also the provision that is being made for these young people. We are aware of the effort that is being made to ensure that about three million of them are being put into employment through the MTT program.

“There is also for the general public the reduction that is envisaged by the time the CNG initiative of the federal government actually takes full course .
Already, some of these buses have been imported. Some of the conversion kits are already available. The conversion centers are already beginning to get active. The delays are largely because you don’t just go to the market and get these things off the shelves.

Advertisement

“First the procurement processes have to be followed. And then of course you have to place order for them and it is envisaged that as we make the transition from fossil fuel to renewables, there is going to be a reduction of over 60% in the cost that people put in transportation.

“If you have your car, it is envisaged that you’re going to spend about 60% less and that money that comes back to your pocket, but the emphasis at the beginning is going to be on commercial busses, for mass transit so that workers especially and those who are moving around will have reduction in the fares that they pay.

“Now this in combination with so many other things that government is doing government is appealing once again, to those who have the intention of embarking on this protest to please think about it once again. There is just no need for that.

“Of course, it is the democratic right of every Nigerian to engage in peaceful protests. And the government is not an opponent to that .But what government is doing is to ensure that while there is this right for you to protest, your right will also end where someone else‘s own begin.

Advertisement

“Therefore, while you are thinking of protesting, government is appealing to you to first shelve it because it has the great likelihood that this protest may be hijacked and may turn violent by unscrupulous elements, and Nigeria will not be good for it.

“Of course, we know that people are saying that there is no intention for violence in this, but our history has shown that there’s the possibility that this protest can be hijacked and could turn violent.

“It is an appeal again that the federal government is making to ensure that as government is making an effort to satisfy the demands of Nigerians in several respects in health care, in agriculture, in the provision of infrastructure in ensuring that our youth the young population go to school, and that they can also get employed when they finish and even before they do that.

“The Social Security system is being put out there so that no one is left behind. Please, there is no need for this protest.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Chelsea, Brentford  shares the spoil in premier league’s goalless draw

Published

on

 

Chelsea’s frustrations on the road continued on Sunday as they played out a drab 0-0 draw against Brentford in the Premier League. The fourth-placed Blues, desperate to solidify their position in the race for Champions League qualification, delivered another uninspiring display under manager Enzo Maresca. Much of the attention was focused on the decision to bench England forward Cole Palmer for almost an hour, sparking questions about the Italian boss’s priorities ahead of a crucial UEFA Conference League quarter-final clash with Legia Warsaw on Thursday. When Palmer was finally introduced, his impact was muted, with his only significant contribution being a missed chance over the crossbar.

Chelsea have a UEFA Conference League quarter-final trip to Legia Warsaw on Thursday, but Maresca’s priorities were questioned following the Blues’ insipid display.

The match itself offered little excitement, highlighting the struggles of both sides. Brentford, battling their own challenges of form at home, seemed unable to capitalize on Chelsea’s sluggish performance. Despite the Blues’ attempts to gain control, Maresca’s cautious tactical approach failed to generate clear-cut opportunities for his team. With Chelsea winless away from home in the league since December, the encounter at the Brentford Community Stadium was emblematic of their recurring troubles on the road. Fans and analysts alike questioned whether Maresca’s approach was adequate for a team still fighting for Champions League qualification amid an increasingly competitive field.

Advertisement

The spotlight on Cole Palmer’s absence from the starting lineup was another defining feature of the match. The England forward, widely regarded as a key player for Chelsea this season, could have provided the creativity and attacking edge the Blues sorely lacked throughout the game. Maresca’s decision to hold Palmer back drew criticism, especially given the urgency of securing vital points for Chelsea’s league ambitions. When Palmer did make his long-awaited entrance, the young star struggled to find his rhythm, leaving fans disappointed and underscoring the broader issues in Chelsea’s attacking play.

With Manchester City breathing down Chelsea’s neck in the Premier League standings, the stakes for Sunday’s result were high. The goalless draw opened the door for fifth-placed City to overtake Chelsea should they secure a win against Manchester United in the day’s late fixture. For the Blues, the outcome not only added pressure to their domestic campaign but also cast a shadow over their upcoming Europa Conference League clash. Maresca now faces the dual challenge of rejuvenating Chelsea’s confidence in Europe while addressing their league form, which could ultimately determine their fate in the pursuit of Champions League football next season.

Top copy trading platform
Discover the best copy trading platform. Copy expert traders’ strategies on Deriv cTrader.
Deriv.com
by TaboolaSponsored Links
The result also extended Brentford’s struggles at home, as they continued their winless streak in front of their fans. Both teams leave the match with unanswered questions about their form, tactics, and aspirations as the Premier League season enters a critical phase. For Chelsea, the disappointment underscores the need for decisive action from Maresca and his squad as they prepare for crucial fixtures on both domestic and continental fronts. Brentford, meanwhile, will aim to regroup and find ways to regain momentum in their remaining matches. The uneventful encounter serves as a reminder of the challenges faced by teams vying to navigate the pressure of top-flight football.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

“How we imortalised Olunloyo before his death-Makinde

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde has said he is happy that former governor of the State, Omololu Olunloyo was imortalised before his demise.

Makinde, in a condolence message by his media aide Sulaimon Olanrewaju on Sunday, said the country had lost a patriotic leader, an icon and one of its most cerebral former administrators with the politician’s demise.

The governor said it is sad that the late mathematical guru and administrator passed away before his 90th birthday.

Advertisement

“This death hits differently because I was looking forward to Baba’s 90th birthday, which would have come up on April 14. However, we have to submit to the will of God, who gives and takes lives as He wills.

“My joy is that our government immortalised and honoured Pa Olunloyo in his lifetime and he was present to witness it as we named the Ibadan Airport Road and the Leisure Park on the axis after him in recognition of his service to the state.

“May the Lord grant repose to his soul and give his family the fortitude to bear his demise,” Mr Makinde said.

The death of Mr Olunloyo was confirmed on Sunday morning through a statement by his family.

Advertisement

The deceased died just a few days before his 90th birthday, according to the statement.

Continue Reading

News

Iran turns down Trump’s call for direct nuclear talks

Published

on

By

Iran’s top diplomat has rejected direct negotiations with the United States as pointless, his office said Sunday, after US President Donald Trump said he preferred face-to-face talks over its nuclear programme.

Trump sent a letter to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei last month calling for negotiations but warning of military action if diplomacy failed.

On Thursday, the US president said he favoured “direct talks”, arguing they were “faster” and offered a better understanding than going through intermediaries.

But Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said direct talks made no sense with a country “that constantly threatens to resort to force in violation of the UN Charter and that expresses contradictory positions from its various officials”.

Advertisement

“We remain committed to diplomacy and are ready to try the path of indirect negotiations,” he was quoted as saying in a statement issued by his ministry.

Iran keeps itself prepared for all possible or probable events, and just as it is serious in diplomacy and negotiations, it will also be decisive and serious in defending its national interests and sovereignty.”

On Saturday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said his country was willing to engage in dialogue with the United States on an “equal footing”.

He also questioned Washington’s sincerity in calling for negotiations, saying “if you want negotiations, then what is the point of threatening?”

Advertisement

Iran and the United States have had no diplomatic relations since shortly after the 1979 Islamic Revolution with some regional countries like Oman playing a mediating role between the two sides.

Letter diplomacy
Trump’s letter was delivered to Iran via the United Arab Emirates, and Tehran responded at the end of March via the Sultanate of Oman.

On Sunday, the chief of staff of the Iranian armed forces, General Mohammad Bagheri, said Iran’s response stressed that “we seek peace in the region”.

“We are not the ones who start wars, but we will respond to any threat with all our might,” he said of the content of Iran’s response.

Advertisement

Western countries, led by the United States, have for decades accused Tehran of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.

Iran rejects the allegation and maintains that its nuclear activities exist solely for civilian purposes.

In 2015, Iran reached a landmark deal with the permanent members of the UN Security Council, namely the United States, France, China, Russia, and the United Kingdom, as well as Germany, to limit its nuclear activities.

The 2015 agreement — known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action — gave Iran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear programme to guarantee that Tehran could not develop a nuclear weapon.

Advertisement

In 2018, during Trump’s first term in office, the United States withdrew from the agreement and reinstated biting sanctions on Iran.

A year later, Iran began rolling back on its commitments under the agreement and accelerated its nuclear programme.

On Monday, Ali Larijani, a close adviser to Khamenei, warned that while Iran was not seeking nuclear weapons, it would “have no choice but to do so” in the event of an attack against it.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News