Connect with us

News

Court Jails Two Bureau De Change Operators In Kano

Published

on

Justice Mohammed Nasir Yunusa of the Federal High Court Kano on Tuesday, February 27 2024, convicted and sentenced two illegal bureau de change operators to one year imprisonment each for operating BDC without an appropriate licence.

The convicts: Munkaila Sani and Mohammed Sani were jailed after pleading guilty to one-count separate charge bordering on engaging in financial operations of bureau de change without a requisite licence, upon their arraignment by the Kano Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

The lone-count charge reads ‘’ That you Munkaila Sani sometime in February, 2024 in Kano within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did engage in a financial operation of bureau de change without a valid licence and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 57 (5) of the Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act, 2020 and punishable under Section 57 (5) (B) of the same act.’’

Upon arraignment, the defendants pleaded guilty to their respective charges when they were read to them. Based on their pleas, prosecution counsel, Aisha Tahar Habib prayed the court to convict and sentence them accordingly.

Advertisement

Counsel to the defendants, Abdulrahman Isah pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy as the suspect are elderly and have become remorseful for their actions.

Consequently, Justice Yunusa convicted and sentenced the defendants to one year imprisonment each.

The convicts’ began their journey to the Correctional Centre when they were arrested by operatives of the Commission around Wapa BDC market and Grand Central Hotel, Kano, following reliable intelligence about their involvement in a syndicate operating bureau de change businesses without an appropriate licence .

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

“How we imortalised Olunloyo before his death-Makinde

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde has said he is happy that former governor of the State, Omololu Olunloyo was imortalised before his demise.

Makinde, in a condolence message by his media aide Sulaimon Olanrewaju on Sunday, said the country had lost a patriotic leader, an icon and one of its most cerebral former administrators with the politician’s demise.

The governor said it is sad that the late mathematical guru and administrator passed away before his 90th birthday.

Advertisement

“This death hits differently because I was looking forward to Baba’s 90th birthday, which would have come up on April 14. However, we have to submit to the will of God, who gives and takes lives as He wills.

“My joy is that our government immortalised and honoured Pa Olunloyo in his lifetime and he was present to witness it as we named the Ibadan Airport Road and the Leisure Park on the axis after him in recognition of his service to the state.

“May the Lord grant repose to his soul and give his family the fortitude to bear his demise,” Mr Makinde said.

The death of Mr Olunloyo was confirmed on Sunday morning through a statement by his family.

Advertisement

The deceased died just a few days before his 90th birthday, according to the statement.

Continue Reading

News

Iran turns down Trump’s call for direct nuclear talks

Published

on

By

Iran’s top diplomat has rejected direct negotiations with the United States as pointless, his office said Sunday, after US President Donald Trump said he preferred face-to-face talks over its nuclear programme.

Trump sent a letter to Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei last month calling for negotiations but warning of military action if diplomacy failed.

On Thursday, the US president said he favoured “direct talks”, arguing they were “faster” and offered a better understanding than going through intermediaries.

But Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said direct talks made no sense with a country “that constantly threatens to resort to force in violation of the UN Charter and that expresses contradictory positions from its various officials”.

Advertisement

“We remain committed to diplomacy and are ready to try the path of indirect negotiations,” he was quoted as saying in a statement issued by his ministry.

Iran keeps itself prepared for all possible or probable events, and just as it is serious in diplomacy and negotiations, it will also be decisive and serious in defending its national interests and sovereignty.”

On Saturday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said his country was willing to engage in dialogue with the United States on an “equal footing”.

He also questioned Washington’s sincerity in calling for negotiations, saying “if you want negotiations, then what is the point of threatening?”

Advertisement

Iran and the United States have had no diplomatic relations since shortly after the 1979 Islamic Revolution with some regional countries like Oman playing a mediating role between the two sides.

Letter diplomacy
Trump’s letter was delivered to Iran via the United Arab Emirates, and Tehran responded at the end of March via the Sultanate of Oman.

On Sunday, the chief of staff of the Iranian armed forces, General Mohammad Bagheri, said Iran’s response stressed that “we seek peace in the region”.

“We are not the ones who start wars, but we will respond to any threat with all our might,” he said of the content of Iran’s response.

Advertisement

Western countries, led by the United States, have for decades accused Tehran of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.

Iran rejects the allegation and maintains that its nuclear activities exist solely for civilian purposes.

In 2015, Iran reached a landmark deal with the permanent members of the UN Security Council, namely the United States, France, China, Russia, and the United Kingdom, as well as Germany, to limit its nuclear activities.

The 2015 agreement — known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action — gave Iran sanctions relief in exchange for curbs on its nuclear programme to guarantee that Tehran could not develop a nuclear weapon.

Advertisement

In 2018, during Trump’s first term in office, the United States withdrew from the agreement and reinstated biting sanctions on Iran.

A year later, Iran began rolling back on its commitments under the agreement and accelerated its nuclear programme.

On Monday, Ali Larijani, a close adviser to Khamenei, warned that while Iran was not seeking nuclear weapons, it would “have no choice but to do so” in the event of an attack against it.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Army ‘Destr0ys Over 70 Bandits Dens In Taraba, Wastes Three Terrorists’

Published

on

By

During the operation, three terrorists were reportedly eliminated, and security forces recovered firearms and logistical supplies.

The Nigerian Army says it has destroyed over 70 camps used by bandits in Taraba State, as part of a continued effort to combat terrorism in the region.

During the operation, three terrorists were reportedly eliminated, and security forces recovered firearms and logistical supplies.

SaharaReporters learnt that the military engaged the terrorists at a hideout in Achelle, situated within the Karim Lamido Local Government Area, as part of their ongoing efforts to dismantle the remaining elements of terrorist groups in the state.

Advertisement

Captain Oni Olubodunde, spokesperson for the 6 Brigade of the Nigerian Army in Jalingo, confirmed the operation, stating that its primary objective was to identify and neutralise dangerous criminals active in the area.

Olubodunde further reported that, in addition to eliminating the three terrorists, security personnel seized an AK-47 rifle, ammunition, and two motorcycles during the operation, which took place on April 5, 2025.

“In continuation of Operation Lafiya Jama’a, a military offensive to remove criminal elements from Taraba State, the brave troops of the 6 Brigade Nigerian Army and Sector 3 Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) successfully neutralised three bandits, destroyed several camps, and seized weapons and ammunition during a daring clearance operation conducted in the Karim Lamido Local Government Area on April 5, 2025,” said Olubodunde.

The operation targeted suspected bandit hideouts, beginning in Achelle, where troops carried out a thorough sweep before advancing to Chibi.

Advertisement

As forces reportedly approached Chibi, the bandits attempted to escape but were intercepted. In the ensuing clash, three bandits were eliminated, and multiple makeshift camps were destroyed. Security personnel also seized two motorcycles, an AK-47 magazine, and 13 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.

Furthermore, troops conducted extensive searches in the Dutsen Zaki and Achalle areas, where over 70 criminal camps have been dismantled in recent weeks.

According to Olubodunde, no signs of human activity were detected during this latest operation, underscoring the effectiveness of previous security efforts.

Brigadier General Kingsley Chidiebere Uwa, Commander of the 6 Brigade Nigerian Army, praised the troops for their dedication and strategic execution. He reassured the people of Taraba State that terrorists and criminals would find no refuge in the region.

Advertisement

General Uwa also urged residents to remain vigilant while going about their daily activities without fear. He emphasised the importance of maintaining law and order.

He encouraged the public to provide timely and credible information to security agencies, stressing that such cooperation is essential for ensuring the safety of local communities.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News