News
Sad: El Salvador police chief dies in helicopter crash
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/images-2024-09-09T154316.268.jpeg&description=Sad: El Salvador police chief dies in helicopter crash', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/images-2024-09-09T154316.268.jpeg&description=Sad: El Salvador police chief dies in helicopter crash', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
By Francesca Hangeior.
El Salvador’s police chief, known for leading the country’s “war” on gangs, was killed in a helicopter crash along with several others, the army said on Monday.
National Civil Police Director Mauricio Arriaza Chicas led El Salvador’s crackdown on criminal gangs since March 2022, a campaign that has netted nearly 82,000 suspected gang members under a system that allows arrests without warrants.
The helicopter was also carrying Manuel Coto, a former manager of the Cosavi credit union, under police custody, it said, after his arrest in Honduras.
Coto had been on the run for allegedly embezzling around $35 million.
“We regret to confirm the death of all those on board the UH-1H helicopter of the Salvadoran Air Force, which crashed in Pasaquina” around 180 kilometers (112 miles) east of the capital San Salvador, the military said on social media platform X.
Others killed in the crash were two high-ranking commissioners, a corporal, a sergeant and two lieutenant pilots, according to officials and the defense ministry.
The state-run Canal 10 TV channel said David Cruz, head of communications for the justice ministry, was also killed. In a report he had given at the border with Honduras, he said there was rain.
At dusk on Sunday, Arriaza had arrived at the border, where his Honduran counterparts handed over Coto.
Coto was arrested earlier in the day while “driving with a human trafficker to the United States” before being handed over to Salvadorean authorities through Interpol, according to Honduran Security Minister Gustavo Sanchez.
“We want to congratulate, acknowledge and thank you for this international operations maneuver that we are developing with the Republic of Honduras and other countries,” Arriaza told state television, in what would be his last public statement.
President Nayib Bukele said he would ask for international assistance in investigating the crash.
“What happened cannot remain a mere ‘accident’, it must be investigated thoroughly and to the last consequences. We will ask for international assistance,” Bukele wrote on X.
“Director Arriaza Chicas was a fundamental piece in bringing peace and security to our people,” he said.
“We will investigate this to the end, but no one can bring back our national hero.”
Attorney General Rodolfo Delgado said on X that his teams were doing everything possible “to speed up the rescue and identification of the victims.”
Civil Protection tactical teams were on their way to the crash site to provide assistance, the service said on X.
Defense Minister Rene Francis Merino Monroy described Arriaza as “a strategist who changed the course of the (national police).”
“We will continue fulfilling the mission until we achieve the country you dreamed of,” he wrote on X.
The president’s brutal crackdown on gangs has drawn criticism from rights groups but has won him sky-high approval ratings, with supporters crediting him for returning a sense of normality to a violence-fatigued society.
News
Nigerian lands in Accra Court for attempting to rob three Ghanaian banks
A Nigerian man, Augustine Okechuku Maazi, has appeared before Accra Circuit Court 8 in Ghana over an alleged plot to rob three banks in the Labone area of Accra.
Maazi was arrested on Thursday, August 13, 2026, after Ghanaian police reportedly foiled the alleged robbery operation. Two other suspects were reportedly killed in a shootout with police, while another suspect escaped.
The development comes amid growing questions over the circumstances surrounding the incident, following a denial by GCB Bank that any robbery or attempted robbery took place at its Labone branch.
The Ghana Police Service had said it received intelligence at about 10:45 a.m. on August 13 that a gang was preparing to attack GCB Bank, Ecobank and Zenith Bank, all located in the Labone area.
According to the police, officers deployed to the area spotted suspected members of the gang in vehicles parked near the banks.
Upon sighting the police, one of the vehicles sped off in an attempt to escape,” the police said.
Officers reportedly pursued the vehicle and arrested Maazi, while another occupant escaped.
The police said occupants of a second vehicle also attempted to flee while firing at officers, leading to a shootout.
“The police engaged them in a shoot-out resulting in the death of two suspects,” the Service said.
The police said two vehicles were recovered from the suspects, a Toyota Highlander with registration number GS-1434-18 and a Hyundai Tucson with registration number GS 7915-17. A blow pistol was also reportedly recovered.
However, GCB Bank subsequently denied that its Labone branch was attacked or targeted in an attempted robbery.
“GCB Bank wishes to clarify that no robbery or attempted robbery took place at our Labone Branch or on the Bank’s premises,” the bank said.
The bank added: “At no point was the branch breached, and no customer, member of staff, funds or property of the Bank was affected.”
The conflicting accounts have raised questions about the precise nature of the incident and whether the suspects were actually preparing to rob the banks as alleged by the police.
Further questions emerged after checks revealed that the Toyota Highlander bearing registration number GS 1434 18, which police identified as one of the vehicles recovered from the suspects, had been listed by Ghanaian authorities as having been impounded in 2019.
The apparent reuse of the same registration number has raised questions about the vehicle’s history and the police account of the incident.
The controversy also prompted the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana to intervene. The President of All Nigerian Communities in Ghana was reportedly sent to Ghana Police Headquarters to seek clarification over the circumstances surrounding Maazi’s arrest and the deaths of the two other suspects.
Destiny Austine Omon, media coordinator of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana, also questioned aspects of the police account, including the location of the alleged robbery, the weapon reportedly recovered and the vehicles allegedly used by the suspects.
“The environment where the robbery took place is one of the safest environments in Ghana. It is close to 37 Military Base, the Ghanian Presidency, police headquarters and cantonment.
He added: “It does not add up for armed robbers wanting to do that scale of attack to be arrested with only a pistol.”
The Ghana Police Service has maintained that its officers foiled a planned attack on the three banks, while investigations continue to establish the identities and roles of the two deceased suspects, trace the escaped suspect and determine the circumstances surrounding the alleged robbery plot.
Sahara Reporters
News
Osun Poll: Davido’s Father Alleges APC Spent N60bn on Vote Buying
Adedeji Adeleke, father of singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has alleged that the All Progressives Congress (APC) spent about N60 billion to influence voters during the Osun State governorship election.
Adeleke made the allegation in a viral video while speaking about the election, which saw his younger brother, Governor Ademola Adeleke, secure re-election for a second term.
The businessman claimed that voters in some areas were allegedly offered as much as N50,000 for their votes.
According to him, reports of the alleged spending prompted him to retreat to his room and pray for his brother’s victory.
He maintained that the Adeleke family did not spend money to influence voters on election day, insisting that Governor Adeleke’s victory reflected the choice of the electorate.
“The only reason why we defeated Oyetola is not that we are bigger or that we spent more money than him. On election day, we didn’t spend any money.
“They spent N60 billion, as we heard. In some places, they bought most votes for as high as N50,000 for a single vote.
“On the day of the election, when I heard the kind of money they were spending, I went back to my little corner in my room, and I knelt down and prayed to God.
“I said, ‘God Almighty, let people collect their money, but let them still vote for Ademola Adeleke.’”
Adeleke attributed his confidence during the election to his strong Christian faith, saying he regularly turns to the Bible for strength and guidance.
He specifically cited Isaiah 41:10, saying his faith had made him fearless and less reliant on influential individuals.
“When I need God to pray every day, I have some Bible passages and verses that I read and that I pray with. And this is part of my testimony,” he said.
He added that his strong belief in God had discouraged him from seeking patronage from powerful figures.
“That’s why you don’t see me running after people in high places or competing with people to go and visit anyone. I would rather do it in my little corner. I would rather ask God Almighty to help me,” he said.
Adeleke’s allegation has not been independently verified, and the APC has not, in the remarks provided, responded to the claim.
The comments came after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared Governor Ademola Adeleke the winner of the Osun governorship election at about 7:24 a.m. on Sunday.
News
Edo new speaker reveals why speaker was flushed out
The newly elected Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Yekini Idiaye, has revealed why his predecessor, Blessing Agbebaku, was flushed out by lawmakers over alleged poor leadership and corruption.
Idiaye, who represents Akoko-Edo Constituency I and is a third-term lawmaker, emerged as Speaker on Monday following Agbebaku’s resignation amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.
Addressing journalists after Monday’s plenary, Idiaye accused Agbebaku of poor leadership, alleging that his tenure was characterised by corruption and prolonged adjournments.
He said, “The House was inaugurated on the 16th of June, 2023 under the leadership of Agbebaku, and since then we have been passing through a lot of challenges, corruption here and there, adjournment here and there, sometimes for 30 days without a cause. We are not happy with his leadership style. His leadership is poor, and it has been drawing the work of the government backwards.”
Idiaye added, “That is why we removed him. We must encourage our performing governor. He is doing well, anything that will derail or stop our performing governor, we must stop it. That is why we changed him. I can assure all of you that we will do everything possible to support Governor Monday Okpebholo to move this state forward.”
He said, “The House was inaugurated on the 16th of June, 2023 under the leadership of Agbebaku, and since then we have been passing through a lot of challenges, corruption here and there, adjournment here and there, sometimes for 30 days without a cause. We are not happy with his leadership style. His leadership is poor, and it has been drawing the work of the government backwards.”
Idiaye added, “That is why we removed him. We must encourage our performing governor. He is doing well, anything that will derail or stop our performing governor, we must stop it. That is why we changed him. I can assure all of you that we will do everything possible to support Governor Monday Okpebholo to move this state forward.”
Idiaye’s emergence was also said to have followed the Assembly’s zoning arrangement, which provides that when the governor is from Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.
Idiaye, being the oldest member from Edo North, was subsequently elected Speaker.
-
Metro14 hours ago‘I’ll Rather Eat Grass Under Muslim Leader Than Chicken Under Infidel Leader,’ Islamic Scholar Almaliky Defends Tinubu-Shettima Ticket
-
News11 hours agoOluwo Hails Adeleke’s Re-election, Urges Closer Ties With Tinubu
-
Foreign11 hours agoUS: How 17-year-old Boy Allegedly Killed Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches
-
News14 hours agoOsun election: People’s will defeated political machinery – Sen. Natasha
-
News11 hours agoGanduje’s son returns to APC after 3 months in Kwankwaso’s NDC
-
News2 hours agoSee Dollar to Naira exchange rate today, August 17, 2026
-
News11 hours agoOsun Poll: I Consulted My Late Brother, Told Him To Pray For Me — Adeleke
-
News11 hours agoPolice Arrest Suspected Armed Robber, Land Grabber in Ibadan, Recover Guns, Ammunition

Warning: Undefined variable $user_ID in /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/themes/zox-news/comments.php on line 49
You must be logged in to post a comment Login