Connect with us

News

Import licence: NNPCL asks court to strike out Dangote Refinery’s suit

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPCL) has asked a Federal High Court in Abuja to strike out a suit filed by Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals FZE, describing it as “incompetent.”

The NNPCL, in a notice of preliminary objection filed by its team of lawyers led by Kehinde Ogunwumiju, SAN, before Justice Inyang Ekwo, argued that the suit is premature.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the application, marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1324/2024 dated and filed on Nov. 15, was sighted on Wednesday.

NNPCL seeks two orders, which include an order of the honourable court striking out the suit for lack of jurisdiction and alternatively, an order striking out the name of the 2nd defendant (NNPCL) from the suit.

Advertisement

Giving six-ground argument, the corporation argued that Dangote Refinery lacked locus standi to institute the suit.

“The plaintiff’s suit is premature. The plaintiff’s suit discloses no cause of action. The 2nd defendant is not a competent party. The plaintiff’s suit is incompetent. This honourable court lacks the jurisdiction to hear this suit,” the NNPCL said.

In the affidavit in support of the application deposed to by Isiaka Popoola, a clerk in the law firm of Afe Babalola & Co, counsel to the NNPCL, he said one of their lawyers, Esther Longe who perused Dangote’s originating summons, affidavit and written address told him that an examination of the processes showed that NNPC sued by the refinery was non-existent entity.

Popoola averred that the court lacked jurisdiction over the 2nd defendant sued as NNPC.

Advertisement

“This 2nd defendant in this suit as consistently seen on the face of the plaintiff’s originating summons, the affidavit in support and the written address as “Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPC)”

“A simple search on the CAC website shows that there is no entity called “Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPC).”

“The print out of the said search is hereby attached and marked as Exhibit A,” he said.

According to Popoola, the 2nd defendant/objector is not one and the same with the 2nd defendant sued by the plaintiff.

Advertisement

“The registered name of the 2nd defendant/objector is Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited and this is the only name it can be sued by,” he added.

He said the NNPCL as sued by the refinery in the instant suit, is not a competent party or a juristic person.

Popoola, who averred that the suit is incompetent and ought to be struck out, prayed the court to grant their application in the interest of justice.

NAN had earlier reported that three oil marketers had also prayed the court to dismiss the suit.

Advertisement

The oil marketers, in a joint counter affidavit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1324/2024 filed on Nov. 5 in response to Dangote Refinery’s originating summons, told Justice Ekwo that granting that application would spell doom for the country’s oil sector.

According to them, the plan to monopolise the oil sector is a recipe for disaster in the country.

The three marketers; AYM Shafa Limited, A. A. Rano Limited and Matrix Petroleum Services Limited, in their response, said the plaintiff did not produce adequate petroleum products for the daily consumption of Nigerians.

Besides, they argued that there was nothing placed before the court to prove the contrary.

Advertisement

Dangote Refinery had sued Nigeria Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) and Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPCL) as 1st and 2nd defendants.

Also listed as 3rd to 7th defendants respectively in the originating summons dated Sept. 6 are AYM Shafa Limited, A. A. Rano Limited, T. Time Petroleum Limited, 2015 Petroleum Limited, and Matrix Petroleum Services Limited.

It prayed the court to nullify import licences issued by NMDPRA to the NNPCL and five other companies for the purpose of importing refined petroleum products.

The company also prayed the court to declare that NMDPRA was in violation of Sections 317(8) and (9) of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) by issuing licenses for the importation of petroleum products.

Advertisement

It stated that such licenses should only be issued in circumstances where there is a petroleum product shortfall.

It also urged the court to declare that NMDPRA is in violation of its statutory responsibilities under the PIA for not encouraging local refineries such as the company.

The company equally sought a N100 billion in damages against NMDPRA for allegedly continuing to issue import licences to NNPCL and the five companies for importing petroleum products.

These it said are Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) and Jet Fuel (aviation turbine fuel) into Nigeria, “despite the production of AGO and Jet-A1 that exceeds the current daily consumption of petroleum products in Nigeria by the Dangote Refinery.”

Advertisement

Justice Ekwo had fixed Jan. 20, 2025 for report of settlement or service

News

BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW: Nigeria’s Biggest Democratic Reality Television

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

72 HOUSEMATES. 100 LIVE CAMERAS. 62 DAYS. ₦150 MILLION CASH PRIZE. ONE NATION. ONE DEMOCRATIC STAGE.

ABUJA, NIGERIA — Nigeria is set for what organisers describe as an unprecedented fusion of reality television, civic participation, democratic education and national entertainment as the BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW prepares to open its doors to Nigerians between the ages of 18 and 45.

Powered by BTV TELEVISION NETWORK, the ambitious television project is designed to create a unique national platform where young and middle-aged Nigerians can experience, debate and demonstrate the principles of democratic leadership in a live reality-show environment.

Advertisement

The project is expected to bring 72 housemates together for 62 days of nonstop television, supported by 100 live cameras, with organisers projecting the potential to reach an audience of up to 100 million viewers across Nigeria.

At the centre of the attraction is a headline ₦150 million cash prize, alongside the opportunity to win a house and a Jeep, making the project one of the most ambitious proposed prize-driven television productions in Nigeria.

THE BALLOT BOX HOUSE GOES LIVE OCTOBER 1

According to the organisers, the BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW HOUSE is scheduled to commence live broadcasting from 7:00 PM GMT on October 1, 2026, through dedicated channels planned for DStv, GOtv and StarTimes platforms.

Advertisement

The organisers also plan daily highlights and major programme content through leading Nigerian television and news platforms, including AIT, NTA, Arise News, TVC News and News Central, subject to broadcast and commercial arrangements.

The concept is designed to transform the traditional reality-TV experience by putting democracy, leadership, public opinion, accountability, competition and civic participation at the heart of the entertainment.

REGISTRATION OPENS SEPTEMBER 1

Prospective housemates are expected to register between September 1 and September 14, 2026.

Advertisement

Applicants must be:

– Nigerian citizens;
– Between 18 and 45 years old;
– Prepared to participate in a highly competitive national reality television environment;
– Ready to demonstrate leadership, communication, teamwork, problem-solving and democratic values.

The organisers say registration and public engagement will be promoted through Facebook, X, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and WhatsApp, alongside the project’s online platforms.

A NEW OPPORTUNITY FOR CORPORATE NIGERIA

Advertisement

Beyond the housemates and viewers, the BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW is positioning itself as a major potential commercial and institutional platform for organisations seeking meaningful engagement with Nigeria’s enormous youth, entertainment, media and consumer markets.

The organisers are calling on government democratic institutions, financial institutions, commercial banks, development-finance institutions, telecommunications companies, technology companies, television networks, media organisations, brand owners and private-sector investors to explore sponsorship and strategic partnership opportunities.

Potential partners could participate through headline sponsorship, financial partnerships, technology partnerships, broadcast partnerships, telecommunications partnerships, consumer-product integration, financial literacy initiatives, civic education programmes, advertising, branded entertainment, housemate challenges and national audience engagement campaigns.

The project offers sponsors an opportunity to associate their brands with a large-scale national television platform combining entertainment with democratic and civic themes.

Advertisement

A PLATFORM FOR DEMOCRACY, LEADERSHIP AND ENTERTAINMENT

Organisers insist that the show is intended to go beyond conventional reality television.

The BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW is conceived as a platform where participants can debate ideas, compete in leadership-oriented tasks, engage in public-policy discussions and experience simulated democratic processes while millions of Nigerians watch and participate.

Its central message is simple:

Advertisement

LET THE PEOPLE WATCH. LET THE PEOPLE DEBATE. LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE.

With 100 live cameras documenting the activities of the housemates, the show promises an unprecedented level of continuous access to the BALLOT BOX HOUSE.

The organisers believe the combination of reality television, democratic participation, celebrity entertainment, social media interaction and national audience voting could create a powerful new media property.

A CALL TO HOUSEMATES AND SPONSORS

Advertisement

For prospective housemates, the message is clear: this is an opportunity to enter a national stage where your personality, ideas, leadership qualities and ability to connect with Nigerians can be tested before a massive audience.

For sponsors and strategic partners, the proposition is equally significant: this is an opportunity to become part of a potentially transformational Nigerian television project at its foundation.

The organisers are therefore inviting interested government democratic institutions, banks, financial-support institutions, telecommunications companies, television stations, technology companies, private-sector investors and major Nigerian and international brands to discuss sponsorship and strategic partnership opportunities.

THE COUNTDOWN HAS BEGUN

Advertisement

Registration: September 1–14, 2026
Number of Housemates: 72
Duration: 62 Days
Live Cameras: 100
Headline Cash Prize: ₦150 Million
Additional Prizes: House + Jeep
Projected Reach: Up to 100 Million Viewers
Live Broadcast: From October 1, 2026 — 7:00 PM GMT
Platforms: DStv, GOtv & StarTimes, subject to final broadcast arrangements
Powered by: BTV TELEVISION NETWORK

SPONSORSHIP & PARTNERSHIP ENQUIRIES

09020033004
09050503077

OFFICIAL ONLINE PLATFORMS

Advertisement

“BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW Website” (https://reference-url-citation.invalid/0)

“BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW Blog” (https://reference-url-citation.invalid/1)

BALLOT BOX NIGERIA TV REALITY SHOW

100 LIVE CAMERAS. 72 HOUSEMATES. 62 DAYS. ₦150 MILLION. ONE NATION WATCHING.

Advertisement

Powered by BTV TELEVISION NETWORK

Continue Reading

News

Unleashing unusual loyalty: Edo APC chairman, Tenebe, reportedly threatens to ‘kpai’ critics over FB post on Gov Okpebholo

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo State, Jarrett Tenebe, has displayed an unusual loyalty by threatening to kill a critic following a social media report alleging that Governor Monday Okpebholo travelled to Abuja to protest his exclusion from the APC Presidential Campaign Council.

The controversy started with a Facebook post by Samuel Iyobosa, who claimed that Okpebholo had travelled to Abuja to protest his alleged exclusion from the APC Presidential Campaign Council.

Tenebe reacted to Iyobosa’s post by threatening him, stating, “Bastard stop lying and if you continue you die.”

The threat subsequently triggered further exchanges between Tenebe and other social media users who commented on the development.

Advertisement

One of the users, Baron Mike, wrote, “Nehizena Ogunrobo see as party chairman dey react. Brainless man.”

In response, Tenebe allegedly wrote, “Baron Mike talk nonsense you die because you are talking rubbish.”

Tenebe also directed another comment at Baron Mike, stating, “Baron Mike Baron Mike come to Nigeria and talk.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

CCTV Captures Armed Robbery Suspects at Benin City Hair Shop, Luxury Wigs Worth Millions Stolen

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

CCTV has captured the moment a hair vendor in Benin City, Edo State, was allegedly robbed by armed individuals who made away with luxury wigs reportedly worth millions of naira.

The incident occurred on Saturday at a hair shop located on Tony Anenih Road, off Ebenezer School Road, Ihama, GRA, Benin City.

According to the shop owner, who operates the Instagram account @official.pricelessstrands, the suspects had visited the shop a day earlier pretending to make enquiries about getting a customer’s hair done.

She said they returned a few hours later and carried out the robbery after another man, allegedly armed with a gun, arrived at the premises.

Advertisement

Sharing clearer CCTV footage of the incident on Instagram, the vendor alleged that the suspects initially sat in the waiting area, pretending they were waiting for a third person to make payment for a braiding session.

She wrote that as soon as the man arrived with a gun, the group began the operation.

According to her account, the robbers forced the two staff members on duty into an inner office where the shop’s more expensive luxury hair products were stored. They then packed several bags containing wigs and other hair products before locking the employees inside the office and fleeing the scene.

The business owner said one of the suspects was captured clearly on the CCTV footage, while another suspect, described as a woman wearing a black top with a noticeable facial scar, had also visited the shop the previous day under the guise of making enquiries.

Advertisement

She appealed to members of the public to help identify the suspects by sharing the CCTV footage widely on social media.

«”This is the face of one of the armed robbers who just robbed my office. Himself and the scar-faced lady on black top came yesterday in the guise of making enquiries about making her hair, only for them to return today to rob the office and loot hairs worth millions in several bags,” she said.»

The hair vendor called on security agencies and residents of Benin City to assist in identifying and apprehending those responsible for the robbery.

As of the time of filing this report, there was no official statement from the Edo State Police Command regarding the incident or whether any arrests had been made.

Advertisement

The CCTV footage has since been circulated online as the shop owner seeks public assistance in bringing the suspects to justice.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News