Connect with us

News

EFCC denies political victimisation in Achimugu probe

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has dismissed reports suggesting that its ongoing investigation into Ms Aisha Achimugu is linked to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar or Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

In a statement released on Friday evening, the anti-graft agency emphasised that Achimugu is being investigated solely for alleged criminal conspiracy and money laundering. The EFCC clarified that its probe has no political undertones and is unrelated to any dealings involving the two politicians.

According to the statement, Achimugu has been under investigation since 2022. She previously obtained a court injunction restraining the EFCC from arresting or detaining her, but this injunction was overturned by a Federal High Court in Abuja on February 19, 2025.

The court ruled that law enforcement agencies, including the EFCC, have the authority to investigate crimes when there is reasonable suspicion or evidence of wrongdoing.

Advertisement

Furthermore, the court upheld an interim order for the forfeiture of assets linked to Achimugu, dismissing her legal challenge as lacking merit.

Reaffirming its commitment to professionalism and impartiality, the EFCC urged the public to avoid attaching political motives to its work.

“The EFCC is non-partisan and non-sectarian,” the statement read, calling for continued public confidence in the agency’s operations.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Just in: Gunmen Hijack Loaded Bus,K!!ll Driver, Abduct Passengers

Published

on

By

Tragedy struck in Ikobi, Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State on Thursday night as gunmen hijacked a fully loaded Benue Links bus, killing the driver and kidnapping all passengers on board.

The gunmen, however, left a toddler behind.

Sources revealed that the assailants ambushed the bus along the highway, fatally shooting the driver before forcibly taking the passengers into the bush. However, a young boy was reportedly spared by the kidnappers.

Although, authorities are yet to issue an official statement on the incident, but security agencies have been alerted and are said to be tracking the whereabouts of the victims.

Advertisement

Reacting to the latest attack, the president of Ochetoha K’Idoma youth wing, Mike Magaji, decried the inaction of the state government over the killings in the state.

He said the governor did not make any meaningful speech during his visit to Otukpo on Thursday.

He said, “It is heartbreaking that our people continue to live in fear while the government remains silent. How many more lives must be lost before decisive action is taken?

“The governor’s visit to Otukpo was a disappointment. Our people expected leadership, not vague reassurances. We need a clear plan to end these attacks.

Advertisement

“The government must rise up to its responsibilities. We cannot continue to mourn our people daily while those in power look the other way.”

Daily Post

Continue Reading

News

Stakeholders plead with Tinubu to review appointment of DG, National Agricultural Seed Council

Published

on

Stakeholders and experts in the Seed Sector of Nigeria have appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to review the recent appointment of a substantive Director General for the National Agricultural Seed Council (NASC).

Stakeholders’ concern stemmed from the fact that Hon Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari who was appointed as substantive Director General of the Council did not possess the requisite professional qualification and cognate experience in seed science and technology as provided for in the Act establishing the Council.

In the open letter of appeal to President Tinubu signed on behalf of the Seed Sector by Engineer Olagbaju Akeju, a technical consultant/seed processor, the group cited a breach of Part III, Section 6 of the National Seed Council Act of 2019, which is the regulatory framework to establish food governance and remove quackery from the Nigeria Seed System.

Specifically, Part III, Section 6, states: “The President shall appoint on the recommendation of the Hon. Minister, candidate who possesses professional qualification and cognate experience in Seed Science and Technology.”

Advertisement

The group said that: “This requirement is very fundamental to continue to sustain the gain and international recognition of the Nigerian Agricultural Seed System as African model.”

According to the group, “It is for this purpose that Mr. President’s attention is invited to take another look at the appointment of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as Director General of the Council as earlier announced and confirmed, pending the request for Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid to serve as substantive Director-General of the Council for a single term.”

It would be recalled that until a few days ago, before the announcement of Hon. Fatuhu Mohammed Buhari as the Director-General by Mr. President, the Acting Director-General, Dr. Ishiaku Othman Khalid, a seasoned Seed Expert who grew within the system to become a director, was expected to be confirmed as the substantive Director General.

“During his tenure in acting capacity, the Seed Council attained international recognition as testified by the Council of Head of States in Africa Union for Food Security Committee. The Nigeria Seed System has also become remarkable as a model working for Nigeria and should be adopted by other African countries.”

Advertisement

On appointment of core professionals to head the Council, the group noted: “Since its establishment, the leadership of this unique agency has always been selected among the professionals in the relevant seed science and technology for the post of Director-General.

“It appeared that Mr. President was misled to appoint a non-professional as Director-General. This appointment did not only contravene the extant law but also breach Mr. President’s belief to give opportunity for serving officers to reach the pinnacle of their careers.”

Continue Reading

News

Just in: Supreme Court sacks ,Abure as LP chairman

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP).

In a unanimous judgment, a five-member panel of the apex court held that the Court of Appeal lacked the jurisdiction to have pronounced Abure National Chairman of the Labour Party, after finding out earlier that the substance of the case was about the party’s leadership.

The apex court held that the issue of leadership was an internal affair of a party over which courts lacked jurisdiction.

Advertisement

The court further allowed the appeal filed by Senator Nenadi Usman and one other and held that it was meritorious.

It also proceeded to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by the Abure group of the Labour Party for being unmeritorious.

More shortly…

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News