Sports
Ancelotti faces trial for alleged tax fraud

Prosecutors are seeking a jail term of four years and nine months for the 65-year-old Italian, accusing him of having cost Spain’s treasury more than one million euros ($1.1 million) in undeclared earnings from image rights in 2014 and 2015.
Carlo Ancelotti will go on trial next week for allegedly failing to declare income to Spain’s tax office, the Madrid court which will hear the case said Friday.
The trial will begin on Wednesday and it is expected to last two days, a spokesman for the court said.
Ancelotti, who as a coach has won a record five Champions League trophies including three with Real, must be present for the hearings, he added.
Prosecutors accuse him of only declaring in his tax returns the personal remuneration received from Real Madrid during those two years even though he himself declared himself to be a tax resident in Spain and indicated his home was in Madrid.
They accuse Ancelotti of allegedly setting up a “confusing” and “complex” system of shell companies to hide his extra earnings from his image rights as well as from other sources such as real estate.
A Spanish court in 2023 ordered Ancelotti to stand trial over the affair, but did not set a date.
Ancelotti dismissed the affair last year as “an old story that I hope will be resolved soon” when he was asked about the case.
He took over at Real Madrid in 2013, leaving in May 2015, before being appointed at Bayern Munich the following year.
The former Italy international midfielder, who as a player won the European Cup twice with AC Milan, later managed Napoli and Everton before returning to Real Madrid in 2021.
Aside from his success in the Champions League he has won domestic league titles with Madrid and Milan, in England with Chelsea, in Germany with Bayern Munich and in France with Paris Saint-Germain.
Sports
Osimhen’s double sends Mourinho’s Fenerbahce out of Turkish Cup

Victor Osimhen delivered a stunning performance on Wednesday as his brace secured Galatasaray a 2-1 victory over Fenerbahce in the final stage of the Turkish Cup, eliminating José Mourinho’s side from the competition.
Osimhen opened the scoring in the 10th minute, putting Galatasaray ahead with a well-taken shot from the edge of the box.
The Nigerian striker then doubled his tally in the 27th minute from the penalty spot, giving his team a comfortable 2-0 lead before halftime.
Fenerbahce managed to pull one back just before the break, with Sebastian Szymański finding the net in first-half stoppage time (45+1’), but it was not enough to turn the tide.
Despite late attempts to equalize, including substitutions involving Mert Yandaş and Kerem Demirbay in the 90+2 minute, Mourinho’s side fell short as Galatasaray held on for the win.
Sports
Super Eagles Must Defeat South Africa to qualify for 2026 World – Eric Chelle

Super Eagles head coach Eric Chelle has underscored the pivotal significance of securing a victory against the Bafana Bafana of South Africa to keep Nigeria’s hopes alive for the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualification.
The much-anticipated World Cup qualifier between Nigeria and South Africa is set to take place in September, marking the eighth matchday of the qualification series. With only four rounds of matches remaining, the stakes are incredibly high for the Super Eagles as they aim to close the gap in Group C standings.
Currently, Bafana Bafana, under the guidance of coach Hugo Broos, lead the group with 13 points from six matches, holding a commanding six-point advantage over the Super Eagles. This scenario makes the upcoming fixtures even more crucial for Nigeria’s qualification ambitions.
Coach Eric Chelle acknowledged the pressing need for his team to secure maximum points from their remaining matches to stay in contention for a World Cup berth. Speaking to SCORENigeria, he emphasized the importance of an away victory against South Africa but also cautioned against looking too far ahead.
“We must triumph in South Africa; however, our immediate focus must be on the match against Rwanda in Uyo,” Chelle stated, reinforcing the necessity of taking each game step by step.
Recognizing the strengths of the South African team, Chelle admitted that the Super Eagles must be tactically disciplined to prevent their opponents from gaining control of the game. “While they are a formidable side, we cannot afford to let them dictate the pace of the game,” he noted.
However, before shifting full focus to the challenge posed by Bafana Bafana, Chelle stressed the importance of first securing victory against Rwanda at home. A win in Uyo would boost the team’s morale and position them strongly ahead of their crucial away encounter in South Africa.
As the qualification race intensifies, the Super Eagles will need to demonstrate resilience, strategic discipline, and attacking efficiency to keep their World Cup dreams alive. Nigerian football fans eagerly await how the team will rise to the challenge in these decisive fixtures.
Sports
Saka scores as Arsenal beat Fulham to close gap on Liverpool

Bukayo Saka marked his return from injury with a goal as Arsenal defeated Fulham 2-1 on Tuesday, cutting the gap on Premier League leaders Liverpool to nine points.
The England international, who had been sidelined for 101 days, came off the bench to head in Arsenal’s second goal on his first appearance since December 21. Mikel Merino had earlier given the Gunners the lead with a deflected first-half effort.
Despite the win, Arsenal suffered a setback as key defender Gabriel Magalhães limped off with an injury.
Jurrien Timber also left the pitch late on with a knee problem, adding to Mikel Arteta’s injury concerns ahead of next week’s Champions League quarter-final first leg against Real Madrid.
“(We are) worried because he never wants to come off, and he had to,” Arteta said about Gabriel. “He felt he could not continue.”
Saka’s return was met with a rousing ovation from the Emirates crowd.
“It was a good opportunity to see how much people love him and missed him,” Arteta said. “The reception he got was magnificent. He lifts the stadium, and I am so happy for him because he fully deserves it.”
Rodrigo Muniz scored a stoppage-time goal for Fulham, but the defeat dents their hopes of qualifying for European football next season. The Cottagers remain eighth, three points behind a top-five finish that could secure a Champions League spot next season.
While Liverpool remain in control of the title race, Arsenal’s top-five finish looks assured, as they now sit 14 points clear of sixth-placed Newcastle.
Arteta’s side are on course for a second consecutive runners-up finish, but with Saka back in action, they will hope to push Liverpool until the end—and make a deep run in Europe’s elite competition.
-
News20 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News20 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News9 hours ago
How I Got Helicopter Idea To Visit Kogi State – Senator Natasha
-
News23 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
Entertainment9 hours ago
Why I didn’t sleep with Bobrisky – Portable
-
News9 hours ago
Rivers CJ directs High Court judges to proceed on break
-
News17 hours ago
We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas
-
News21 hours ago
OBIO/AKPOR FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY FREE MEDICAL OUTREACH(PHOTOS)