Connect with us

News

Atiku lied, Wike never express any desire to be running mate in 2023 – Lere Olayinka

Published

on

Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media to the Federal Capital Territory FCT minister, Lere Olayinka has described as false, claims by former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, that the committee set up by the People’s Democratic Party PDP to select its Vice Presidential candidate in the 2023 election rated the former Governor of Delta State, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa, as its first choice.

Olayinka said his principal, Nyesom Wike also never sought to be Atiku’s running mate in the first place.

He said it was unfortunate that Atiku, could not respect the Holy Month of Ramadan and avoid telling lies, asking how a committee would present a person who had two votes as first choice against the person who had 13 votes.

Atiku had said; “In 2023, I told the party (PDP) to set up a committee to recommend three names. The committee ranked Okowa as the top choice, with Wike in second place and former Akwa Ibom Governor, Udom Emmanuel in third. So I picked number one.”

Advertisement

Reacting, the FCT Minister’s Spokesperson said in a statement on Saturday, that it became necessary to put the records straight, hence the need to debunk Atiku’s lies, insisting that “Wike never put himself forward to be Atiku’s running mate then, Atiku did by himself, and he (Wike) accepted his offer with conditions.”

Olayinka said it was a fact that in the committee report, Wike had 13 votes while Okowa had two.

He said; “the committee set up by the PDP picked Wike as Atiku’s running mate, but for reasons best known to him, he settled for Okowa, who had two votes from the committee members. That’s the truth Atiku should tell and stand with, not trying to colour his decision with falsehood.”

Olayinka, who noted that, for devout Muslims, the period of Ramadan is one of holiness, said “Al-Bukhaari (1903, 6057) quoted Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) as saying that Holy Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) said: ‘Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it, and ignorance, Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala) has no need of him giving up his food and drink.’

Advertisement

“Unfortunately, Atiku chose to tell lies so brazenly during the holy month of Ramadan, obviously forgetting that Allah (SWT) does not hearken to the prayers of liars, probably the reason he (Atiku) has continually failed in his desperation to be president of Nigeria.”

Advising Atiku to always be honest to stand by his decisions, Olayinka said the FCT Minister was no longer interested in what happened and what did not happen concerning the 2023 presidential election.

“Like I said earlier, Wike has no regret for Atiku not picking him as his running mate and he also has no regret taking the position he took concerning the presidential election,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Just in: Supreme Court sacks ,Abure as LP chairman

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP).

In a unanimous judgment, a five-member panel of the apex court held that the Court of Appeal lacked the jurisdiction to have pronounced Abure National Chairman of the Labour Party, after finding out earlier that the substance of the case was about the party’s leadership.

The apex court held that the issue of leadership was an internal affair of a party over which courts lacked jurisdiction.

Advertisement

The court further allowed the appeal filed by Senator Nenadi Usman and one other and held that it was meritorious.

It also proceeded to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by the Abure group of the Labour Party for being unmeritorious.

More shortly…

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Tinubu’s Political Adviser, Baba-Ahmed Resigns

Published

on

By

The political adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, has resigned.

The former spokesman of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) tendered his resignation about two weeks ago.

Presidential sources were quoted as saying Dr. Baba-Ahmed did not provide details of the reasons for his decision and only stated that it was on personal grounds.

Baba-Ahmed was appointed Special Adviser on Political Matters in the Office of Vice President Kashim Shettima in September 2023.

Advertisement

Over the past 17 months, he has represented the presidency at several public fora, including a recent national conference themed: “Strengthening Nigeria’s Democracy: Pathway to Good Governance and Political Integrity”, which held from 28th to 29th January, 2025 in Abuja.

Daily Trust

Continue Reading

News

There’s valid evidence of Akpabio sexually harassing me; I’ll release it, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan declares

Published

on

By

Kogi Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has vowed to release evidence of Senator Godswill Akpabio sexually harassing her at the right time.

Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan disclosed this in an interview with Channels TV on Thursday night when told that Mr Akpabio said she has no evidence to back up her sexual harassment allegation against him.

“At the right time and at the right space, I will present the evidence that I have,” Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan said.

Aniete Ekong, spokesperson for Mr Akpabio, could not be reached for comment on Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan’s statement. A WhatsApp message sent to him was not replied to.

Advertisement

Mrs Akpoti-Uduaghan’s statement comes after the Independent National Electoral Commission dismissed the recall petition filed against her on Thursday.

The Kogi Central lawmaker was suspended from the Senate on February 28 after she accused Mr Akpabio of sexual harassment and abuse of office.

The Senate suspended her for six months, withheld her salaries, and withdrew her security detail, citing unruly behavior during plenary.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News