Connect with us

News

Hippopotamus Attack: Gombe State Govt Cautions Residents

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Gombe State Government has issued a safety advisory urging residents to take caution, especially those living near riverine areas.

Mr Mohammed Fawu, the Commissioner for Water, Environment, and Forest Resources in Gombe State, gave the advice following a recent deadly hippopotamus attack in Dadinkowa River.

Yahuza Bawa, a 19-year-old farmer from Dadin Kowa Community in Yamaltu/Deba Local Government Area of Gombe State, was killed by a hippopotamus while fishing in the Dadin Kowa River.

The incident, which happened on Oct. 5, left late Bawa’s colleague, Abubakar, who was in the same boat as the deceased, seriously injured.

Advertisement

Fawu, while sympathising with the deceased’s family, said that the state government responded proactively when the incident happened, which led to the recovery of the deceased’s body from the river for burial.

Fawu said that the state government was working on a permanent solution to address this challenge by establishing a sanctuary city for hippopotamuses.

He said with such in place, the safety of the animal and human would be guaranteed, and similar clashes in the future would be averted.

“This is quite unfortunate that it has happened, and it is because of a misunderstanding between the animal and the community.

Advertisement

“From the report I heard, this is the time that the animals have a lot of young ones and are very aggressive and feel threatened whenever they see people in water.

“At this time, anyone in sight for them (hippopotamus), they feel those persons are coming for their young ones, and that makes them aggressive to attack anyone.”

The commissioner urged farmers to be cautious and avoid the waters since the river horses were mostly in their breeding period and were more aggressive at this time.

“I also got a report that after that attack, other fishermen still went fishing and were attacked, but thankfully no lives were lost.

Advertisement

“Fishermen should not go out of their way without taking precautions.

“So don’t go fishing when such activities could take your lives because you have to be alive to have a livelihood.”

He said officials of the ministry had been sensitising and would continue to sensitise the communities around the riverbank.

Reacting to the incident, Mr Ismail Bima, an environmentalist in the state, urged fishermen to consider alternative means to their vocation by investing in fish farming using ponds.

Advertisement

Bima, while sympathising with the deceased’s family, further urged the community around the riverbanks to avoid whatever could create a clash between its people and the animal.

He also called on the government to find a lasting solution to the challenge to avert future clashes while urging support for residents to embark on fish farming to reduce regular contact between fishermen and hippos.

NAN learnt that a few days after the incident, some fishermen were also attacked but survived with varying degrees of injuries.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

AEDC finally announces electricity restoration in Abuja after blackout

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Abuja Electricity Distribution Company has finally announced that it has restored electricity supply to State House, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Lugbe, Garki, and other areas in the nation’s capital after an outage.

AEDC disclosed this in a notice on Saturday night.

Recall that major parts of Abuja were thrown into darkness due to the Transmission Company of Nigeria’s Apo substation fault.

TCN had on Saturday issued an update noting that its engineers were working to fix the fault.

Advertisement

In a notice later on Saturday night, AEDC announced electricity supply has been restored to affected areas.

“Abuja Electricity Distribution Plc (AEDC) is pleased to inform our esteemed customers that power supply has now been restored to affected feeders following the successful restoration of the 100MVA Transformer (TR3) at the Apo Transmission Substation by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN),” AEDC stated.

Continue Reading

News

Our law firm ‘ll ensure resolution of commercial disputes – Adeji opens office in Lagos

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Joshua Adeji & Co, a Lagos-based law firm established in 2016 by Joshua Osemudiamen Adeji has opened its new office and mediation center in Lagos.

The office is situated at 16, Adeniran Ogunsanya, Surulere, in Lagos.

Speaking at an event that brought together clients, business leaders, and key figures in Nigeria’s legal community to celebrate the firm’s continued growth and commitment to excellence, the Principal partner, Joshua Adeji reiterated the firm’s steadfastness to offer top-tier legal services to clients across multiple sectors of Nigeria’s and Africa as a whole.

Advertisement

He further stated that the newly established law firm and its Mediation Centre would serve as a hub for fast, amicable and efficient resolution of commercial disputes.

The Firm, he stated, would assist clients to amicably resolve their disputes to align with their commercial goals and help clients navigate complex laws, protect their rights, and resolve disputes.

Continue Reading

News

Sad: Bandits storm Kwara Prayer Ground, kill three worshippers, abduct 15 others

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Bandits killed three worshippers and kidnapped 15 others during a vigil at a church prayer ground on the outskirts of Ikiran village in Ekiti LGA, Kwara State.

The attack happened around 8:30pm on Saturday at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, a remote worship centre where members of Ijo Ajaiye Ati Igbala were holding prayers.

Kwara State Police Command confirmed the incident on Sunday.

Advertisement

Spokesperson SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi said Pastor Adebayo Abiodun reported that gunmen stormed the vigil, opened fire on the congregation, and dragged several people away to an unknown location.

Police from Ekiti Division were deployed immediately after the distress call.

State Commissioner of Police Ojo Adekimi has ordered a coordinated rescue operation involving tactical teams, intelligence units, the Police Mobile Force, and the police drone unit.

Calling the attack “barbaric and unacceptable,” Adekimi assured residents that security agencies are working to rescue the victims and arrest the attackers.

Advertisement

“The command is fully committed to ensuring the safe rescue of all abducted persons and bringing the perpetrators to justice,” he said.

Officers have started bush-combing operations and intelligence gathering across nearby communities to track the bandits. Residents have been urged to stay calm and share credible information to aid the investigation and rescue effort.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News