Connect with us

News

Tinubu to Visit U.S. Tuesday, Meet Trump’s Vice, JD Vance

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is set to visit the United States on Tuesday for high-level diplomatic talks amid growing tensions over allegations of Christian persecution in Nigeria and threats of possible U.S. military action by President Donald Trump.

Presidential sources confirmed to SaharaReporters on Sunday that Tinubu’s trip is part of ongoing efforts to strengthen diplomatic relations with Washington. The visit comes just days after the U.S. President threatened to cut aid and potentially launch military intervention if attacks on Christians in Nigeria continue.

According to the report, President Trump has delegated his Vice President, James David (J.D.) Vance, to meet with President Tinubu during the visit, barring any last-minute changes.

Earlier reports indicated that both leaders were expected to meet either at the State House in Abuja or at the White House in Washington to deepen cooperation on counterterrorism and global security.

Advertisement

Daniel Bwala, Media Aide to President Tinubu, had previously stated that the two leaders share “a common vision” in combating terrorism and protecting humanity from violent extremism.

“Both President @officialABAT and President @realDonaldTrump have a shared interest in the fight against insurgency and all forms of terrorism against humanity,” Bwala said.

He added that the Trump administration had provided significant support to Nigeria’s security operations by authorizing the sale of arms, which the Tinubu government has effectively utilized in the ongoing battle against terrorism.

Bwala also noted that any perceived differences between both leaders—especially concerning whether terrorists in Nigeria target only Christians or people of all faiths—would be discussed and resolved during the upcoming engagement.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, President Trump had issued a stern warning to the Nigerian government over what he described as “the killing of Christians” in the country.

“If the Nigerian government continues to allow the killing of Christians, the U.S.A. will immediately stop all aid and assistance to Nigeria and may very well go into that now disgraced country, guns-a-blazing, to completely wipe out the Islamic terrorists committing these horrible atrocities,” Trump declared, directing the U.S. Department of War to prepare for possible action.

In response, the Nigerian Presidency issued a statement denying any ongoing genocide, emphasizing that Nigeria’s constitution protects freedom of religion and guarantees equality for all faiths.

“Nigeria stands firmly as a democracy governed by constitutional guarantees of religious liberty,” Tinubu said, adding that his administration has maintained open engagement with both Christian and Muslim leaders to address security challenges across the nation.

Advertisement

He dismissed what he described as a “mischaracterisation” of Nigeria’s religious situation by foreign observers, insisting that such claims do not reflect the country’s reality.

“The characterisation of Nigeria as religiously intolerant does not reflect our national reality, nor does it consider the consistent efforts of the government to safeguard freedom of religion and belief for all Nigerians,” Tinubu stated.

The President reaffirmed that religious tolerance remains central to Nigeria’s national identity, stressing that his administration neither supports nor condones any form of persecution based on faith.

“Religious freedom and tolerance have been a core tenet of our collective identity and shall always remain so. Nigeria opposes religious persecution and does not encourage it,” he said.

Advertisement

Tinubu added that his government would continue to collaborate with the United States and the international community to promote understanding and protect all religious communities.

“Our administration is committed to working with the United States government and the international community to deepen understanding and cooperation on the protection of communities of all faiths,” he said.

The visit marks President Tinubu’s first U.S. trip since tensions escalated over reports of Christian-targeted violence and growing international concern about Nigeria’s security situation.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

AEDC finally announces electricity restoration in Abuja after blackout

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Abuja Electricity Distribution Company has finally announced that it has restored electricity supply to State House, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Lugbe, Garki, and other areas in the nation’s capital after an outage.

AEDC disclosed this in a notice on Saturday night.

Recall that major parts of Abuja were thrown into darkness due to the Transmission Company of Nigeria’s Apo substation fault.

TCN had on Saturday issued an update noting that its engineers were working to fix the fault.

Advertisement

In a notice later on Saturday night, AEDC announced electricity supply has been restored to affected areas.

“Abuja Electricity Distribution Plc (AEDC) is pleased to inform our esteemed customers that power supply has now been restored to affected feeders following the successful restoration of the 100MVA Transformer (TR3) at the Apo Transmission Substation by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN),” AEDC stated.

Continue Reading

News

Our law firm ‘ll ensure resolution of commercial disputes – Adeji opens office in Lagos

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Joshua Adeji & Co, a Lagos-based law firm established in 2016 by Joshua Osemudiamen Adeji has opened its new office and mediation center in Lagos.

The office is situated at 16, Adeniran Ogunsanya, Surulere, in Lagos.

Speaking at an event that brought together clients, business leaders, and key figures in Nigeria’s legal community to celebrate the firm’s continued growth and commitment to excellence, the Principal partner, Joshua Adeji reiterated the firm’s steadfastness to offer top-tier legal services to clients across multiple sectors of Nigeria’s and Africa as a whole.

Advertisement

He further stated that the newly established law firm and its Mediation Centre would serve as a hub for fast, amicable and efficient resolution of commercial disputes.

The Firm, he stated, would assist clients to amicably resolve their disputes to align with their commercial goals and help clients navigate complex laws, protect their rights, and resolve disputes.

Continue Reading

News

Sad: Bandits storm Kwara Prayer Ground, kill three worshippers, abduct 15 others

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Bandits killed three worshippers and kidnapped 15 others during a vigil at a church prayer ground on the outskirts of Ikiran village in Ekiti LGA, Kwara State.

The attack happened around 8:30pm on Saturday at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, a remote worship centre where members of Ijo Ajaiye Ati Igbala were holding prayers.

Kwara State Police Command confirmed the incident on Sunday.

Advertisement

Spokesperson SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi said Pastor Adebayo Abiodun reported that gunmen stormed the vigil, opened fire on the congregation, and dragged several people away to an unknown location.

Police from Ekiti Division were deployed immediately after the distress call.

State Commissioner of Police Ojo Adekimi has ordered a coordinated rescue operation involving tactical teams, intelligence units, the Police Mobile Force, and the police drone unit.

Calling the attack “barbaric and unacceptable,” Adekimi assured residents that security agencies are working to rescue the victims and arrest the attackers.

Advertisement

“The command is fully committed to ensuring the safe rescue of all abducted persons and bringing the perpetrators to justice,” he said.

Officers have started bush-combing operations and intelligence gathering across nearby communities to track the bandits. Residents have been urged to stay calm and share credible information to aid the investigation and rescue effort.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News