Connect with us

News

80 abducted Kaduna worshippers reportedly escape, 86 others still missing

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Village Head of Kurmin Wali in the Kufana Chiefdom of Kajuru Local Government Area, Kaduna State, Mr. Ishaku Dan’azumi , has said 80 out of the persons believed to have been abducted from the community about two weeks ago have been located, while 86 others remain missing.

Recall bandits had raided the community weeks ago, abducting worshippers from at least three churches.

The attack had generated outrage, with many calling on the Federal Government for their rescue.

Speaking on the development, Dan’azumi said the 80 victims escaped through the forest and hid in remote locations, which delayed their return and communication with authorities.

Advertisement

“We have now confirmed that 80 of our people have been found in different locations.

“They ran through the forest and hid because of fear on the very day of the incident,” he revealed.

According to him, one of the escapees eventually contacted the community and disclosed their location few days ago, prompting a verification exercise by local representatives.

“One of them called and told us where they were. We sent people there and confirmed their whereabouts. They were afraid because they thought what happened to a nearby village, where bandits burnt down the entire community, had happened to us. That was why they did not reach out immediately,” he explained.

Advertisement

The village head said a headcount conducted on Friday confirmed the figure of 80 that were found in different settlement locations in the bush, adding that search teams were also sent to forest settlements to ascertain whether more victims were still hiding.

He added that the government had been formally informed of the development, noting that fear was still preventing some of the people found from returning home even though some have returned.

“We have informed the government that 80 people have been found. They want us to gather them together, but fear is stopping many of them from returning. However, we have spoken with them and confirmed their locations,” he said.

On January 18 that bandits invaded Kurmin Wali, abducting 177 women, children and men in a coordinated attack on churches.

Advertisement

The incident sparked nationwide concern, though the state government and the police initially denied that any abduction took place. The authorities later retracted the denial, confirming the attack and assuring the public that efforts were ongoing to rescue the victims.

Meanwhile, it was gathered that the Commissioner of Police in Kaduna State, CP Rabiu Muhammad, has held a series of meetings with community and traditional leaders in surrounding villages, including Fulani ardos and youth leaders, in a bid to foster peaceful coexistence and seek local support in tackling insecurity in the area.

When contacted on the reported discovery of 80 victims, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Mansir Hassan, simply said the command was working to get a comprehensive official report on the information before making a formal statement.

Daily Trust

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Rivers traditional ruler narrowly escapes assassin’s bullets as hoodlums shoot at his palace

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Amadabo of Finima in Bonny local government area of Rivers State, HRH Aseme Alabo Dagogo Lambert Brown in the early hours of today, August 22, 2026 narroy escaped an assassination attempt on his life.

However, the Amadabo was not at home when the blood thirsty hoodlums fired sporadically at the building housing the living rooms of the monarch and other households.

Unfortunately, some members were seriously injured and rushed to hospitals for emergency medical attention.

Condemning the heinous crime, Aseme Alabo Dagogo Lambert Brown stated that they had received intelligence reports of importation of hoodlums into the community.

Advertisement

He blamed the Bonny Traditional Authorities of sponsoring a faction of Tobin House to cause mayhem.

He called on law enforcement agencies to urgently investigate the matter and bring perpetrators.

Transcript of the attached voice.

“It is very painful and regretful of what I see today in Finima.

Advertisement

We have envisaged this. We live in the community, we have the intelligence, information is coming here and there, and we communicated same intelligence to the security agencies that we are having mercenaries imported into Finima for the sake of a strange event that wants to happen.

Must all of us die because one faction of the Tobin house in Finima, being sponsored by the Bonny Traditional Authorities, wants to perform things that are strange in Finima?

God will never allow that to happen. God will never allow—we saw it. All this happening is to intimidate me and my people for saying this is not how we are living as a people. We live as one people. All the cultural institutions are in full participation by the chieftaincy houses in Finima. There’s no separation.

Why? Because we want to avoid any rivalry group or things that will cause disunity in Finima. That is how our upgrowing—that’s how we’ve grown up in Finima.

Advertisement

And these are one of the outcomes, very regretful. I want to appeal to the law enforcement agencies today that people behind this heinous act are culprits—people, culprits to this heinous act—are arrested and prosecuted.

Continue Reading

News

Photos: 15 years after, Apo-Karshi Road for inauguration in December – Wike

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, says the long-delayed Apo-Karshi road will finally be completed and handed over by November, putting an end to a 15-year wait for residents in the axis.

Wike gave the assurance in Abuja on Saturday, after inspecting the progress of the project as well as the 14-kilometre Bwari Kubwa Road.

He explained that the 13.5-kilometer road, originally awarded in 2011 under previous administrations, has been a major point of frustration for motorists experiencing daily traffic congestion between satellite communities and the Abuja city center.

He explained that the current administration was forced to revoke the original contract due to persistent delays and re-award it to construction firm SCC Nigeria Ltd.

Advertisement

“The Apo-Karshi road has been a topical issue. It was awarded in 2010, one of those projects President Bola Tinubu inherited.

“Because of its importance and the complaints by residents, we had to terminate the contract and award it to SCC, which we know has the capacity to complete the job.

“Residents who have been crying for years can now see that this government has come to their aid,” he said.

The minister praised the contractor for maintaining progress on-site regardless of funding cycles, reaffirming the government’s commitment to honoring its financial obligations.

Advertisement

The minister also inspected the ongoing construction of the 14-kilometre Bwari-Kubwa road, stressing that the contractor had promised to deliver the critical road in December.

He emphasised that the tangible delivery of infrastructure projects serves as the strongest argument for the administration’s governance model, downplaying traditional political campaigning in favor of visible results.

“When people ask me about campaigns, I say, ‘What is campaign? See the campaign. Campaign is about what you have done for the people and what the government has to show.

“It is not about promises; it is about taking action that positively impacts lives,” he said.

Advertisement

With multiple road networks approaching completion across the FCT, the minister expressed confidence that the administration would surpass its initial 10 projects target for inauguration between December and January 2027.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: 38 year former world champion boxer, Zolani Tete shot dead in South Africa

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Ex-world champion boxer Zolani Tete has been shot dead outside his home in South Africa at the age of 38.

This ugly development happened in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, as Zolani Tete arrived at his residence and waited for the gate to open.

According to the police, two armed men wearing balaclavas stepped out of a vehicle and opened fire on the boxer.

A 27-year-old woman who was travelling with Tete was also shot several times and taken to hospital for treatment.

Advertisement

South Africa’s Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture, Gayton McKenzie, confirmed Tete’s death on Friday.

McKenzie expressed caution over speculation about the motive behind the attack, saying “I will not speculate about who did this or why.”

Police have launched an investigation, but no motive has been established and no details about possible suspects have been released.

Zolani Tete , who was nicknamed “Last Born”, became widely known in boxing for his remarkable 11-second knockout of fellow South African Siboniso Gonya in Belfast in November 2017.

Advertisement

The knockout remains one of the fastest stoppages in a world title fight.

Tete achieved it while defending his WBO bantamweight title, which he had won earlier that year and held until 2019.

The southpaw boxer had previously captured the IBF junior-bantamweight title in 2014 after defeating Japan’s Teiru Kinoshita in Kobe.

Earlier in his career, Tete had also held the minor WBF flyweight title.

Advertisement

Zolani Tete’s death came only weeks after he completed a four-year ban from boxing following a positive test for the banned anabolic steroid stanozolol after his 2022 bout against Jason Cunningham.

His suspension ended on July 29, and he had been preparing to make a return to professional boxing before his death.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News