Connect with us

News

Darkness lingers as Abuja power supply drops by 250MW

Published

on

 

By Francesca Hangeior

The Nigerian Transmission firm, Transmission Company of Nigeria on Wednesday, reported that Tower 70 along its 330kV Gwagwalada-Katampe line was vandalised, leaving it dangerously grounded.

The incident, the company said in a statement occurred on the 26th of February, 2024, at about 11.32 pm.

Advertisement

“At the said time, the Gwagwalada – Katampe Transmission line tripped at Gwagwalada Transmission Substation and trial reclosure by TCN Operators failed, necessitating a physical patrol of the line. The TCN lines and patrol team discovered that the four (4) tower footings of Tower 70 were vandalised, destroying the tower legs and causing the tower to stand on the ground, supported by conductors.

“The incident has reduced bulk power supply flexibility and the volume of power into Abuja by 250MW,” the statement said.

Meanwhile, TCN said it has mobilised to the site of the incident and has commenced an emergency repair of the damaged tower and its associated equipment.

“We reiterate the need for vigilance in the fight against vandalism of power equipment. It is important that we report suspicious movements around all power equipment to security operatives or the nearest TCN offices nationwide,” TCN said.

Advertisement

Last December, the TCN said its Gwagwalada-Kukwaba-Apo 132KV Transmission Line 1 in the Abuja axis had been attacked by suspected vandals. (https://punchng.com/vandals-attack-abuja-transmission-line-says-tcn/)

TCN disclosed this via a press statement, noting that the transmission line was “vandalised between Tower 23 and Tower 25.”

The vadalisation of the line, the statement said, was suspected to have taken place at about 1 am on Sunday, “when bulk power supply on the line was cut off, necessitating an early morning investigation by TCN linesmen.”

The statement released by Ndidi Mbah, the TCN General Manager, Public Affairs, stated that investigations revealed a vandalised portion of the line route between Tower 23 and Tower 25.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

OBIO/AKPOR FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY FREE MEDICAL OUTREACH(PHOTOS)

Published

on

By

The month of March was a busy one at the Obio/Akpor Federal Constituency with numerous Programmes and Trainings approved and sponsored by Rep. O. K. Chinda.

The month of April is already showing signs of being busier as we have commenced a Free 3-day Medical Outreach.

Today, which is day 1, featured Health Talks and Sensitization, with some participants going home with 10kg of rice after being attended to.

The programme continues tomorrow and will include the following: –

Advertisement

• Vital signs checking.
• Seeing of Doctor/optometrist.
• Laboratory/ diagnosis
• Pharmacy.

The medical outreach is anchored by Dailystar Pharmacy Nigeria Limited

“I WIN, U WIN”


From
The Media Team
Obio/Akpor Federal Constituency Office

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Security Personnel Shoots Himself Trying To Nab Suspect In Abuja

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

There was tension on Wednesday As vigilante operating at Dei-Dei community in Bwari Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mujahid Ibrahim (32), has reportedly shot himself while trailing a suspect in the area. Abuja Metro learnt that the bullets from his rifle injured him around his feet, with at least seven cartridges extracted from his body

He was said to be awaiting x-ray results for the possibility of more cartridges in his body.

The incident took place around 12 am in the early hours of Wednesday when the victim and his colleague intercepted a resident in the neighbourhood, they were guarding for working at late hours.

Advertisement

Speaking yesterday at the Kubwa General Hospital, where he was rushed to, Ibrahim said the suspect came around 12 am against the 11 pm, which was agreed upon by the members of the community.

“My colleague, who attended to him, tried in vain to make him understand the rule, but instead for him to cooperate, he resorted to violence and in an effort to scare him, I cooked my rifle pointing toward the sky. I later withdrew the rifle back to my shoulder, but forgot to pull it back and in the process of running toward him as the man was having a scuffle with my colleague, the gun fired out some bullets that hit me around my feet,’’ he said

Also speaking, his colleague, who accompanied him to the hospital, Ben Isaac, said following the incident, the resident in question disappeared but his elder brother has taken all the responsibilities including the treatment charges.

He added that a 24- hour warning was issued to him to appear or get arrested.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha

Published

on

By

The Independent National Electoral Commission,( INEC) has rejected the petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, inadequate.

The electoral umpire via its 𝕏 handle on Thursday, April 3, 2025, made this known in a terse statement where it disclosed that the group, who initiated the process did not meet the requirements of the constitution.

INEC in a tweet on its ‘X’ handle said; “The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended)”.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News