Connect with us

News

Financial Crimes: Reps To Issue Warrant Of Arrest On Binance Chief Executive For Refusal To appear

Published

on

 

…as legal adviser say two executives were arrested by NSA
By Gloria Ikibah
The House of Representatives had said it will evoke its constitutional powers against Binance Holdings Limited and issue a warrant of arrest for its failed to appear for public hearing to respond to series of allegations of terrorism,  money laundry,  tax invasion among other financial crimes.
This was the resolution of the House Committee on Financial Crimes Chaired by Rep. Obinna Ginger, at its resumed investigative hearing on Monday in Abuja.
Naijablitznews.com recalled that a coalition of civil society organisations led by the Niger Delta Youth Council Worldwide and Empowerment for Unemployed Youths has written a petition against Binance Holdings Limited in January to investigate the firm’s activities.
The Committee had summoned the Managing Director of Binance, Richard Teng in a letter dated 12th December, 2023 and signed by its chairman, Rep. Ginger Onwusibe requesting his appearance at the hearing.
However, instead of the Management team of the Company to appear before the House Committee as required by law, a team of lawyers was sent, but were told by the committee that their representations will not be accepted.
Rather than appear before the committee Binance wrote through it’s lawyer Senator Ihenyen.
Speaking during the public hearing, in Abuja on Monday, the committee chairman, decried that the Chief Executive of Binance Holding limited, Mr Richard Teng has refused to appear before the committee after series of invitations.
Lawmaker stated that there was need to report to the larger House to evoke its constituonal powers for the arrest of Binance Executive.
Rep. Dogongaro therefore moved a motion for the committee to report to the larger house to enable it use its powers to arrest Binance Executives and make them appear before the committee.
The Chairman put it to a vote and it was unanimously adopted by committee members.
Rep. Ginger Onwusibe, while restating the resolve of the Committee to fight financial crimes maintained that, “the committee will be forced to recommend to the House to arrest Binance executive since they have failed to appear before the committee.
“As long as the committee is concerned,  Binance is not at this meeting because we have said it severally that we do not want representation by lawyers but the chief executives should appear before the committee.
“Binance is not here. We have taken a position on it in our last sitting that we are not going to entertain legal representation from Binance and that position stands.
“Based on the fact that Binance is not here, we need to make a recommendation to the House of Representatives for the House to invoke its powers of subpoena to issue a warrant for the leadership of Binance to be arrested and be brought to this Committee to answer questions of the grave allegations leveled against them in the petitions brought to us by the Empowerment for Unemployed Youths and Niger Delta youths Council.
“This Committee has resolved to recommend to the House to invoke its constituonal powers by issuing a subpoena and a warrant for Binance executives to be arrested and brought to this Committee to answer these questions relationship financing of terrorism, money laundering and other financial crimes as stated in the petition including evasion of tax.
“We thanks the petitioners for unearthing this grievous financial crimes going on in this country for more than six years now. Binance has been operating in the financial space of this country for more than six year and they have not less than 20 million Nigerians that they are exploiting.”
Earlier in his response, the legal team of Binance led by Senator Ihenyen who’s representation was rejected said Binance executives did not appear before the committee because two other executives of the organisation were arrested upon their arrival to Nigeria by the office of the National Security Adviser and still in custody.
According to him, other executives of the company which is not based in the country, were apprehensive because of two of their executives that were arrested recently and are still in custody.
He said: “Indeed we acknowledge that our client Binance was clearly given the time within it must respond to the petition as well as appear today before this committee
“Binance has been able to response to send a written responds dated 28 February 2024.
“The response to the petition attaches two annexures for purpose of fully responding to the issues and allegations raiswd by the petitioners in their written petition dated 5th December 2023.
“The second resolution was that Binance representatives must be here. We would like to plead your indulgence that the situation that Binance has been faced with particularly in the last seven days have forced a very difficult situation on it. What has happened is that two Binance executives who came into the country were arrested by another Nigerian authority specifically the National Security Adviser. And since then till date this two Binance executives are still in custody. For this reason it has been extremely difficult for the global of Binance to mobilize other executive members of the company to Nigeria because there is genuine concern about their safety and security. So this is the situation that we have been forced to contend with. This is not a show of any disrespect to this House
“We believe the responses given by our clients would to a large extent address any outstanding issues or issues raised by the petitioners. If there are any outstanding areas that Binance has to respond to either by being in Nigeria physically or by making further written correspondence, we will do our best as legal counsel in Nigeria to advice Binance to proceed accordingly subject to the discretion of this House.
When asked by Rep. Ginger if those two arrested were coming to respond to the invitation of the committee or for another invitation.
He responded” As the legal counsel to Binance, we have information that Binance was planning to have Representatives on the ground but at time these two persons were arrested, it had not been expressly communicated to us that these two persons are the delegates for that purpose.
“We are aware there are quite a number of executives spaning the region of Europe, America and Asia in the Binqnce team. It is possible that one of these persons who was arrested or none of these persons were going to be delegates to this Honourable House today.
“Following the arrest of two executive,  other persons could could not come into Nigeria because if the first if been arrested too.
“Binance has responded appropriately to the demands of the committee and as our client we are pleading that this honorable committee consider taking the report”, he added.
Naijablitznews.com reports that Binance Holdings Limited, operators of Digital Assets Exchange in Nigeria has been operating in Nigeria over 6 years allegedly without any adherence to financial regulatory frameworks and has been accused of exploiting Nigerians and committing other financial crimes.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Delta issues 21-day ultimatum to unapproved schools

Published

on

By

The Delta State Government has vowed to shut down all unapproved nursery and primary schools across the state.

The measure is being taken “to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state.”

This was contained in a government special announcement signed by the Director of Public Communication/Functioning Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Information, Theresa Adiabua Oliko.

Copies were made available to journalists in Warri on Thursday.

Advertisement

The government, however, advised owners of all unapproved primary schools across the state to “upgrade” within the 21-day ultimatum or risk being shut down.

The public announcement partly reads, “It is hereby announced for the information of the public, particularly owners of private nursery and primary schools in Delta State, that the government, pursuance to its responsibility to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state, that all unapproved primary schools in the state are hereby given a 21-day ultimatum to upgrade their infrastructure and formalise their status with the ministry of primary education with immediate effect.

“Failure to comply with this directive will attract severe sanctions, including outright closure of all such schools.

“The 21-day ultimatum has become imperative as a result of the proliferation of unapproved private schools whose poor infrastructural facilities, unqualified teachers and unhealthy operational environment have become worrisome to the state government.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

Published

on

By

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.

The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.

Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.

The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.

Advertisement

The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.

But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.

The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.

This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.

Advertisement

Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.

He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.

“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”

Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.

Advertisement

The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.

“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.

“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.

“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.

Advertisement

“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

News

NCAA to sanction airlines over deportees maltreatment

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has strongly cautioned international airlines against the increasing complaints from passengers who are transported partway to their destinations, only to be deported back to Nigeria.

The NCAA criticised this practice, emphasising that it has led to considerable distress for passengers and damaged the reputation of Nigeria’s aviation industry.

The NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, Michael Achimugu, announced this in a signed statement on Thursday.

“These actions, which involve the refusal of boarding or denial of entry at intermediate or transit stops due to visa and travel restrictions, are completely unacceptable,” he said.

Advertisement

The NCAA stressed that airlines are responsible for informing passengers of any potential obstacles to their entry before their journey begins.

“Passengers should not be put in a position where they are denied entry or returned to Nigeria only upon arrival at transit stops,” Achimugu added.

Referring to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations 2023 (Part 19.21.1.1), the NCAA reiterated that airlines and their agents are obligated to inform travellers of any potential entry restrictions before departure.

“Airlines must take appropriate measures to screen and provide passengers with accurate, up-to-date information regarding their travel documents and visa requirements before issuing tickets or allowing boarding,” the statement read.

Advertisement

In light of these issues, the NCAA has announced immediate enforcement measures.

“Effective immediately, any airline found engaging in such practices will face regulatory action, including fines, suspension of flight operations, or other penalties deemed appropriate,” Achimugu warned.

“The NCAA expects the cooperation of all airlines in maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the aviation industry, as well as ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerian passengers,” the statement read.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News