Politics
Edo PDP: Orbih Mocks Expulsions, Says Purveyors Ignorant Of Party Constitution

The crisis in the Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP was on Wednesday boiling over after some officials of the party claimed to have expelled the National Vice-Chairman of the party, Chief Dan Orbih along with the recently removed deputy governor of the party, Comrade Philip Shaibu.
GWG.ng had earlier reported that some persons claiming to be officials of the party claimed to have also expelled erstwhile party leader, Engr Omoregie Ogbiede-Ihama.
Orbih has, however, mocked at the move describing those who claimed to have carried out the expulsion as impostors ignorant of the constitution of the party.
The news of the expulsions was dispensed in a statement issued in Benin by the party’s State Publicity Secretary, Mr Ogie Vasco.
He, however, did not give details of those who were present at the meeting.
Vasco said the decision was taken on Wednesday at a meeting attended by nine members of the State Working committee at the party secretariat.
“The SWC has extensively deliberated on the issue and resolved to expel, with immediate effect, Chief Dan Orbih, National Vice Chairman South South.
“It also decided to expel Phillip Shaibu and upheld the expulsion of Ogbeide-Ihama from Ward 2, Oredo Local Government Area “, he said.
Reacting, Orbih told newsmen the SWC had no powers to suspend a member of the National Working Committee or expel anybody without following the provision of the party’s constitution.
“When a group of persons sits down to make pronouncement that are unconstitutional it only showed that they are ignorant of the constitution of the party.
“That is all I have to say about that and nothing more,” Orbih told newsmen in reaction to the news that he had been expelled.
(NAN)
Politics
Natasha/Akpabio feud: Senate fast progressing in error -Ex-lawmaker, Teejay Yusuf

…says Natasha’s voice and similar others will impact Senate
…feud was needless if Senate had applied maturity, proper reasoning
A three -term former member of the House of Representatives, Hon Teejay Yusuf has said the Senate is fast progressing in error over the feud between Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and the Senate.
The lawmaker who is fondly called Teejay by his political acolytes and childhood friends represented Kabba-Bunu/Ijumu Federal Constituency at the House of Representatives; 2011 to 2023.
In a statement he personally signed, Teejay examined the feud and gave cogent reasons why it was needless and the way forward.
“As a former federal lawmaker, who had the privilege of representing my constituency, and Nigeria for twelve years in the House of Representatives, I feel disappointed at the way, and manner the disagreement between the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio; and Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan is being managed.
” Initially, one had thought that the Senate; with experienced lawmakers in the leadership, and membership will apply more wisdom, tact, and restraint in handling the issues.
“But alas, the reverse is the case! Fact is, the Senate seems to be progressing in error, on a needless matter that should not have led to a full-blown crisis; as been witnessed if the leadership had exhibited genuinty, sincerity, transparency, fairness, and true comradeship ab initio.
“Perhaps it is necessary to ask; why go to war when proper reasoning would have saved the situation? Perhaps one should reiterate that the Senate leadership should know that might; as being displayed is not necessarily strength.
“Indeed, the relocation of seating arrangement; which was the initial matter should not have been allowed to snowball into other bigger issues if handled with care, fairness, and understanding.
” Somehow, as events unfold it appears there is more to the matter. First, Akpabio, not realizing the microphone was on, allegedly gave directive for the suspension of Natasha; whilst discussions were still on-going.
” Two, it took public outcry before attending to the Petition by Natasha’s constituents. Three, the swiftness, and hurried nature in which the Senate’s Committee on Ethics, Code of Conduct, and Public Petition completed its assignment, and submitted the Report gave serious concerns. Four, the numbers of weighty recommendations, and severity gives the impression that the Committee may be “dancing to the rhythms of some drummers.” Five, reports of alleged manipulation of the Committee’s attendance list were not taken with seriousness, and may have been consigned to history.”
He explained: “It should be reiterated that Parliament, all over the world is naturally a place of contestation. That Akpoti-Uduaghan complained about the seating arrangement is not out of the ordinary. Such would have been resolved peacefully and amicably; without recourse to brickbats, and emotional outbursts by all parties.
” In any case, similar (and possibly worse) incidents had happened in Nigeria’s Legislature which did not lead to what we are witnessing.
” Recall Akpabio’s disagreement with Senator Saraki (then Senate President over seating arrangement; Saraki and Senator David Mark (then Senate President) over some issues; Femi Gbajabiamila (as Opposition Leader); Rep. Chinda Kingsley, Rima Shawulu, and my humble self with Gbajabiamila (as Speaker). In all of these situations, despite fierce protestations, and arguments they were resolved amicably; it did not lead to the suspension of any member or senator. That is the beauty, and significance of the Legislature.
“It is imperative to counsel Akpabio, and the leadership of Nigeria’s Senate that they should learn to accommodate dissenting voices as much as practicable and possible. Senators who are new, and others should be allowed to ventilate their opinions, and make contributions to debates; even when the leadership have different positions. That is what makes the Legislature vibrant and dynamic.
” Undoubtedly, with the voices of Akpoti-Uduaghan, and similar others making valuable contributions to national issues, at this time will bring positives to the Senate. Also, the Senate can leverage on the popularity of Akpoti-Uduaghan (and others) to generate positive public perception about the Legislature, and deepen Nigeria’s democracy.
“While I congratulate Akpoti-Uduaghan for being dogged, steadfast, and refusing to be cowed in the midst of harassment and intimidation, I wish to appeal that she should continue to stay committed towards impacting positively on the good people of Kogi Central Senatorial District who have consistently invested their total support for her not minding the crude theatrics and propaganda by few people.
“I strongly advise the Kogi state government not to internalize the crisis, which has external origination. That the government is allegedly involved in the matter is very unfortunate.
“Also, reports that the government was behind the recall of Akpoti-Uduaghan is outrightly condemnable, preposterous and cowardly.
” I appeal to those behind the recall to backtrack, and stop forthwith by not overheating the political system in Kogi state. Elections are over, though of different political parties, Akpoti-Uduaghan is representing the state at the National Assembly.
“The best Kogi state government can do is to seek ways towards resolving the crisis, and not taking sides, and embarking on actions that will end in failures.
“Finally, as an advocate of peace, unity, and development, I believe that the needless crisis between Akpabio and Akpoti-Uduaghan can still be resolved. Fact is, the image of the Senate has been bruised, and battered. Something immediate, and timely needs to be done. Going forward, I call on credible, and patriotic Nigerians; in or out of government to step up, and intervene on the lingering feud in the overall interest of the country.
Politics
Just in: Confusion As Edo Guber Tribunal ‘Judgment’ Leaks Online

A document alleged to be the judgment of the Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has surfaced online, just a day before the official ruling is set to be announced.
The tribunal had previously scheduled April 2, 2025, for the formal delivery of its judgment regarding the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, challenging the outcome of the September 21, 2024, election.
The leaked ‘judgment,’ which appeared on social media, shows a split decision among the three-member panel led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi. According to the documents, two of the justices, Kpochi and A.B. Yusuf, ruled to dismiss the petition, while Justice A.A. Adewole gave a minority judgment in favor of Ighodalo.
In the leaked minority judgment, Justice Adewole argued that Governor Monday Okpebholo’s election should be nullified due to significant violations of the Electoral Act. He claimed that Ighodalo and the PDP had provided enough proof that their candidate should have received 243,113 votes compared to Okpebholo’s 210,326 votes, which would have changed the election’s outcome.
“The petitioners’ case was not rebutted, and they showed unit by unit how the actual total should be 243,113 votes, while the 2nd Respondent’s tally should stand at 210,326 votes—a clear reversal of the declared result,” Justice Adewole reportedly wrote.
On the other hand, the majority ruling by Justice Kpochi acknowledged that some irregularities occurred, such as improper documentation of serial numbers in EC 25B forms and cases of over-voting. However, the tribunal concluded that these issues did not significantly impact the election results.
Justice Kpochi stated, “The petitioners have not discharged the dual burden to the satisfaction of the law. Accordingly, the petition lacks merit and is hereby dismissed.”
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had earlier declared Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the winner, with 291,667 votes, while Ighodalo of the PDP secured 247,655 votes. Dissatisfied with the results, Ighodalo and his party argued that the election was flawed due to improper handling of sensitive materials, which they claim led to rigging.
The case, officially registered as EPT/ED/GOV/02/2024, questions the legitimacy of Okpebholo’s victory, with the PDP insisting that their candidate received the highest number of lawful votes.
As the tribunal prepares to announce its ruling, the leaked documents have sparked debate over whether the final decision will align with what has already surfaced online.
Politics
SDP cautions defectors against taking control of the party

The leadership of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Southwest at the weekend made clarification on the new membership of the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory ( FCT) , Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and others who recently joined the party.
According to the party, new members are expected to play the game by the rules , and not to hijack the party from those who are there before them.
Speaking at a meeting of the party during an Iftar organized by the Oyo State chapter of the party for stakeholders in the 11 local governments in Ibadanland, the leader of SDP in the South West, Hon. Mulikat Adeola Akande declared that the party will take careful measure to ensure that only candidates that are tested and trusted are presented in the 2027 general elections.
On the defection of former governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai to the SDP, Hon Mulikat Akande said “politics is a game of numbers and anybody who wants to come into SDP is welcome as long as they are ready to play by the rules of the party and not with the mind of taking the party from those who are there before.”
She said she was not aware that the motive of the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, to join the SDP is to become the presidential candidate of the party in 2027.
Hon Akande , while commenting on the chances of the party, said the SDP would ensure that only credible candidates are allowed to fly the party’s flag in the next general elections.
“ You don’t just sit down and say you want to win election and then go and bring out anybody. We must have the right candidates, somebody tested and trusted,who has integrity that when people hears his name they can rely on him. Someone who is dependable and reliable who will work for the people and not for himself. Those are the qualities we are looking for,” she said
Hon Akande further charged party faithful to remain loyal to the party so as to ensure its success at the polls urging intending members to register at their various wards.
-
News22 hours ago
Full list: NNPC appoints new senior management team
-
News8 hours ago
Security Alert: Police alert officers ahead of nationwide protest over living costs, free speech
-
Politics18 hours ago
Natasha/Akpabio feud: Senate fast progressing in error -Ex-lawmaker, Teejay Yusuf
-
News21 hours ago
SAD! APC publicity scribe dies in UK
-
News20 hours ago
Protesters call for suspension of FUOYE VC over alleged sexual harassment
-
News22 hours ago
Inmate allegedly killed wife during prison visit
-
Economy21 hours ago
Naira Depreciates Significantly In Official Market
-
Metro21 hours ago
Plateau attack: 40 more bodies recovered as death toll hits 52