Connect with us

News

Labour speaks on resuming nationwide strike as Tinubu delays minimum wage bill

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

The Organized Labour has stated that it will not rush to declare a nationwide strike despite President Tinubu’s delays in approving the new minimum wage bill.

Some quarters have expressed concern over Tinubu’s delay in announcing the figure to be submitted to the National Assembly since he received the final report.

Speaking to Vanguard, the Head of Information of the NLC, Comrade Benson Upah said not every problem will be solved with a strike while adding that strike is always the last option.

Comrade Upah advised Nigerians to be patient in drawing conclusions, contending that the report was sent to the President within the period of Democracy Day and Sallah when some relevant stakeholders had to travel out.

The NLC spokesman said, “As at the time the Tripartite Committee submitted the report to the President, there was Democracy Day and then the Sallah break, all of which were practically lumped together for the political stakeholders to travel.

“So, on the length of time taken for the transmission of the executive bill, we have no issue with that; what we are concerned about is what will be transmitted to the National Assembly.”

Asked what will be the reaction of the organized labour if the government decides to go with the N62,000 as offered by the government and the organized private sector against the labour’s demand of N250,000, Upah said:

“Well, let the government come up with it first, and then I even want you to note that there is division in the ranks of the government team, with the governors saying they can’t even pay the N62,000. So, whatever the government transmits to the National Assembly, that will determine our mood. So, let us wait to reach the bridge before we climb it.”

The Labour chieftain said the position taken by President Bola Tinubu on the two proposals before him from the report of the Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage would determine their next line of action.

During the last meeting of the Tripartite Committee on New National Minimum Wage, the government and organized private sector proposed N62,000, while organized labor, insisted on N250,000 as the new living wage.

Vanguard

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Just in: Residents warned as hundreds of terrorists reportedly escape from Niger prison

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

A large number of terrorists have reportedly escaped in a mass breakout at the high-security Koutoukalé prison in Niger Republic.

According to security expert Zagazola Makama, the incident happened on Thursday, resulting in the release of hundreds of terrorists, criminals, and drug traffickers.

The prison, situated near Niamey, the capital city, experienced a violent uprising that overwhelmed the guards, enabling the prisoners to escape with weapons and vehicles.

Witnesses said they heard gunfire and explosions around the afternoon time, which prompted a swift response from security forces.

However, by the time they arrived, the inmates had already taken control of the prison, breaching armored gates, barbed wire, and trenches.

The escape has raised serious questions about the security of the prison, which has previously thwarted two jihadist attempts to free comrades.

An investigation is underway to determine how the inmates were able to procure weapons and overpower their guards.

The Interior Minister has issued a radio message to all governors, confirming the escape and urging village chiefs and religious leaders to report any suspicious individuals.

A curfew has been declared in the Tillabéri region, and the entire River Niger region is on high alert.

The escape is considered a major security breach, and authorities are working to recapture the fleeing inmates.

The public has been warned to be vigilant and report any information that could aid in the recapture of the escaped prisoners.

Continue Reading

News

See photo of collapsed Saint Academy school in Jos

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

The photo of the collapsed Saint Academy school in Jos, capital of Plateau state has emerged online.

Naijablitznews reports many students reportedly died in the building warehousing several students.

Continue Reading

News

Singer, Portable Fights Okada Man in Lagos Over Stolen Phone

Published

on

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa

Controversial Nigerian singer Habeeb Okikiola, better known as Portable, is at it again, but this time with a bike man.

The street singer, who recently returned from America, caused a commotion in Lagos as he fought dirty with a bike man, who he accused of stealing his phone. In videos making rounds online, the singer, who was wearing a yellow hoodie, was captured engaging in a fistfight with the bike man as Lagosians gathered to separate them.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News