News
ECOWAS panel calls for residence permit abolition

A joint committee of the Economic Community of West African States has called for the abolition of the residence permit system, which they argue is obstructing the free movement of citizens across the region.
The joint committee made this call on Thursday to member states and the ECOWAS Commission in their draft report at the end of their delocalised sittings in Banjul, The Gambia.
The joint committee, which includes representatives from Social Affairs, Gender and Women Empowerment, Legal Affairs and Human Rights, Political Affairs, Peace, Security, and Trade Customs, stated that the residence permit system, initially introduced under the ECOWAS Treaty of 1975, no longer serves its intended purpose.
The system, known as the ECOWAS Residence Permit or Residence Card, was designed to allow citizens to reside in another member state for extended periods for business, employment, or personal reasons.
However, the committee now argues that the permit system contradicts the fundamental ECOWAS objective of promoting economic integration and cooperation, particularly the protocol on free movement.
“The issuance of residence permits should be completely abolished in the region in conformity with the Community Text,” the report stated, pending approval by the ECOWAS Parliament’s plenary.
The committee’s report also pointed out widespread non-implementation of the ECOWAS free movement protocols at borders within West Africa.
In response, they have called for robust sensitisation campaigns to educate both citizens and government officials on these regional agreements.
They also recommended that all Immigration and Customs officers receive training on the relevant Community Texts, with special attention to border posts.
“The Free Movement Protocol should be made available to all Immigration Officers, especially at the border posts.
“All training programmes of Immigration and Customs officials should include training on the relevant Community Texts,” the draft report said.
Further, the committee demanded the deployment of officials at border posts to monitor, document, and report instances of extortion and other malpractices.
Additionally, they urged the ECOWAS Commission to ensure full compliance with the implementation of signed Community Texts by member states, particularly the ECOWAS Biometric Identification Card.
“Ensure that all signed Community Texts by Heads of State and Government are implemented by their Member states.
“Ensure the full compliance of member states in the implementation of the ECOWAS Biometric Identification Card,” it urged the ECOWAS Commission.
The committee’s recommendations followed a series of consultations held earlier in the week, including a town hall meeting with stakeholders and an interactive session with border officials from The Gambia and Senegal.
News
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha

The Independent National Electoral Commission,( INEC) has rejected the petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, inadequate.
The electoral umpire via its 𝕏 handle on Thursday, April 3, 2025, made this known in a terse statement where it disclosed that the group, who initiated the process did not meet the requirements of the constitution.
INEC in a tweet on its ‘X’ handle said; “The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended)”.
News
US cancels ex- president ,Nobel Peace Prize winner Oscar Arias visa

A former president of Costa Rica, Oscar Arias, says his US visa has been revoked.
Arias, a Nobel laureate, said he was informed of the decision weeks after he had publicly criticised Donald Trump, comparing the behaviour of the US president to that of a Roman emperor.
The 84-year-old, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in brokering an end to conflicts in Central America, said US authorities had given no explanation.
Arias hinted, however, that it may be due to his rapprochement with China during the time he was president from 2006 to 2010.
Speaking at a news conference in the Costa Rican capital, San José, Arias said he had “no idea” what the reason for the cancellation was.
He said he had received a “terse” email “of a few lines” from the US government informing him of the decision.
He added that he thought that it was not President Trump but the US State Department, which had taken the decision.
While he said it would be conjecture on his part to speculate about the reason behind the visa revocation, he did point out that “I established diplomatic relations with China.
“That, of course, is known throughout the world,” he told journalists of his 2007 decision to cut ties with Taiwan and establish them with China instead.
The Trump administration has sought to oppose China’s influence in the Western hemisphere and has accused a number of Central American governments of cosying up to the Chinese government and Chinese companies.
However, it has been supportive of the current Costa Rican President, Rodrigo Chaves, praising his decision to exclude Chinese firms from participating in the development of 5G in Costa Rica.
But this perceived closeness between President Chaves and the US was criticised by Arias, who wrote a post on social media in February saying that “it has never been easy for a small country to disagree with the US government, less so when its president behaves like a Roman emperor, telling the rest of the world what to do”.
He added that “during my governments, Costa Rica never received orders from Washington as if we were a banana republic.”
Arias is not the only Costa Rican to have had his US visa revoked. Three members of the country’s national assembly who opposed President Chaves’s decree to exclude Chinese companies from participating in the development of 5G have also had theirs cancelled. [BBC]
News
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her

…says state govt’s attempts to silence opposition won’t stand
…calls on IGP to immediately release detained members
Following the desperate, despicable and perfidious attempts by the Kogi state Government to gag, and hound opposition parties through the restrictions on rallies, convoy movements, and similar solidarity activities across the state, Kogi state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) has roundly criticized, and totally condemned such moves.
Arising from the state Exco meeting, held Tuesday, April 1st, 2025, the PDP, having done proper analysis of the situation, believes that the move is targeted at Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.
This was contained in a statement signed by Alhaji Umoru Tijani Aruwa State Publicity Secretary
Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) further declaring that:
“Obviously afraid of our highly performing, and resourceful Senator, the state government had to resort to jittery, fearful, and incongrous instructions which are glaring infringement on her fundamental rights to freedom of movement and association.
“The undemocratic actions which have the tone, tenor, and texture of autocratism and despotism was clearly targeted at preventing Kogi state’s (and Nigeria’s) legislative amazon from meeting her constituents who organized the home-coming for her.
“It is highly shameful, preposterous, and cynical that the state government in their failed attempt to silence Akpoti-Uduaghan, effected the arrest of some officials and key personalities of our party in Kogi Central District; days before the event. From reports, many party faithful across the five LGAs that make up the District suffered varied degrees of harassment, intimidation, and coercion. Indeed, there were inglorious, and shameless attempts by alleged agents of the state government to induce some of our party members. But, all these desperate moves failed, comprehensively!
“Happily, all these tongue-follery attempts, ludicrous activities, and wanton shenanigans failed woefully; as the constituents and supporters, across all political parties thronged out in their numbers to solidarize and re-enact their support for Akpoti-Uduaghan.
” The visit, has once again shown that the people of Kogi Central District are not only with but also identify with her despite attempts to silence her progressive and patriotic voice by few, privileged individuals in the Senate, and collaborators in Kogi state.
“Given the outpouring of love, commendation, and eulogies extended by the people to Akpoti-Uduaghan at the event, irrespective of the numerous bobby-traps and devilish bottlenecks orchestrated by the APC government in Kogi, it clearly shows that the constituents are at home with their daughter. That the tumultuous gathering, which was organic defied all man-made encumbrances to proudly identify with her, and pass resounding confidence-vote on Akpoti-Uduaghan has rubbished every earlier plans by the Kogi state government to put forward wrong narratives about the Senatorial District.
“While we strongly urge the state government to allow the freedom of speech, movement, and association to fully thrive; without let or hate amongst the people of Kogi, we appeal that every dictatorial actions, and totalitarian tendencies that are capable of truncating democratic ethos must be put away by the present administration in the state.
“As a party, the Kogi state PDP chapter, declares unequivocal support, and stands; firmly without reservations with Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan. We also reiterate that the good people of Kogi state will continue to show utmost solidarity with her, as she forges ahead in her fight against abuse, harassment, intimidation, and segregation.
“The PDP commend the courage, doggedness, and sacrifices of the people of Kogi Central District who defied all odds to attend the home-coming event, and have also remained consistent and resolute in their respective and collective support for Akpoti-Uduaghan. Be assured that we have resolved; as always to stand with you, all.
“Finally, we call on the Inspector-General of Police, the leadership of all relevant security agencies to ensure the immediate release of all our party members that were unlawfully arrested under nebulous, and spurious guises by the state government.
-
Business22 hours ago
Bank stops transfer fees on online transactions
-
News9 hours ago
Rivers APC demands Fubara’s probe over ex-HoS allegations
-
News22 hours ago
S/African Court Acquits Nigerian Pastor Of Rape, 31 Other Charges
-
Economy2 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
Economy10 hours ago
Naira rebounces against the dollar in parallel market
-
News2 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
News9 hours ago
Air Algerie Inaugural Flight to Abuja Will Strengthen Nigeria-Algeria Ties – FG
-
News5 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others