Connect with us

News

Confusion as petitioners query Obaseki’s silence on multi-billion naira Edo investments

Published

on

As the Transition Committee in Edo State awaits the clarification of the stake owned by Edo State Government in the ownership of some properties, palpable fear has enveloped Government House over the out-going Governor’s silence on Ossiomo Power Plant, Edo Modular Refinery and the Radisson Blu Hotel.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the incoming All Progressives Congress (APC) Committees, held a joint session where facts about the three companies were discussed.

The PDP team, during the meeting, promised that the matter will be discussed with Governor Godwin Obaseki.

The APC team, which requested documents on the ownership and stake of Edo state government in the projects, were stunned when the government officials feigned ignorance in such mega projects that cost taxpayers several billions of naira.

Advertisement

A petition addressed to the Transition Committee and copied to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), is said to be unsettling Governor Obaseki who will be handing over to Senator Monday Okpebholo in less than two weeks.

The petition, signed by Comrade Samuel Osawaru of the Edo Integrity Group, is believed to be working from the Obaseki team.

The group stated that Quadrant Consolidated Systems Engineering Limited, allegedly owned by Uwagboe Igiehon and Mark Igiehon, was being used for the financial transactions including “receiving of revenues for themselves and on behalf of Ossiomo Power Project” from Edo state government coffers.

The group, which named Chinese Clean Energy and Telecom Company (CCETC) as the technical partners of Ossiomo Power Project, also disclosed that both the CCETC and Ossiomo were holding companies for the owners of the plant.

Advertisement

It added that majority of Edo State Government agencies pay their tariff to the Ossiomo Power Plant through estimated billing but the company has quickly resorted to metering of the government agencies since 21st September 2024, when PDP lost election.

The Edo Integrity Group which stated that it was fighting corruption in Edo State, appealed to the Transition Committee and the EFCC “to beam search light on the activities of Ossiomo Power Plant as a lot has happened there” in the past few years.

In a related development, an anonymous letter addressed to security agencies has indicted Governor Obaseki over the acquisition of Edo Modular Refinery and Radisson Blu Hotels, which were both funded with tax-payers money but converted to private ownership.

The letter urged the security agencies to investigate the funding of both companies which were from Edo state government “but not included as assets of Edo state in the ongoing handover notes for the in-coming administration.”

Advertisement

The writers of the petition also revealed that they were staff of Edo State Government and members of the PDP Transition Committee “but were not allowed to function as all documents and directives were from Governor Obaseki, mostly through telephone calls.”

See also United Africa Royal Assembly Congratulates Rwandan President on Re-election
They called for thorough investigation stating their “resolve to disclose information because of their allegiance to the state and not to any individual.”

The owners of the American-Dutch based Radisson Blu were said to be uncomfortable with their brand being drawn into corruption allegations and have written several letters to the governor indicating willingness to pull out of the partnership and franchise for integrity’s sake.

Radisson Blu hotels are mainly located in major cities across Europe, Middle East and Africa and owned by Choice Hotels, Jinjiang International and Radisson Hotel Group with headquarters in USA and Belgium.

Advertisement

Deputy Governor of Edo state, Philip Shuaibu, had last month inspected the site of the Radisson Blu hotels sending indications that the project was being funded by the Edo state government.

But the new twist emerged as the Government did not declare it as property of the state. The Government did not also capture it in the handover notes to the transition committee.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Delta issues 21-day ultimatum to unapproved schools

Published

on

By

The Delta State Government has vowed to shut down all unapproved nursery and primary schools across the state.

The measure is being taken “to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state.”

This was contained in a government special announcement signed by the Director of Public Communication/Functioning Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Information, Theresa Adiabua Oliko.

Copies were made available to journalists in Warri on Thursday.

Advertisement

The government, however, advised owners of all unapproved primary schools across the state to “upgrade” within the 21-day ultimatum or risk being shut down.

The public announcement partly reads, “It is hereby announced for the information of the public, particularly owners of private nursery and primary schools in Delta State, that the government, pursuance to its responsibility to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state, that all unapproved primary schools in the state are hereby given a 21-day ultimatum to upgrade their infrastructure and formalise their status with the ministry of primary education with immediate effect.

“Failure to comply with this directive will attract severe sanctions, including outright closure of all such schools.

“The 21-day ultimatum has become imperative as a result of the proliferation of unapproved private schools whose poor infrastructural facilities, unqualified teachers and unhealthy operational environment have become worrisome to the state government.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

Published

on

By

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.

The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.

Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.

The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.

Advertisement

The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.

But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.

The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.

This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.

Advertisement

Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.

He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.

“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”

Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.

Advertisement

The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.

“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.

“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.

“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.

Advertisement

“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

News

NCAA to sanction airlines over deportees maltreatment

Published

on

By

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has strongly cautioned international airlines against the increasing complaints from passengers who are transported partway to their destinations, only to be deported back to Nigeria.

The NCAA criticised this practice, emphasising that it has led to considerable distress for passengers and damaged the reputation of Nigeria’s aviation industry.

The NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, Michael Achimugu, announced this in a signed statement on Thursday.

“These actions, which involve the refusal of boarding or denial of entry at intermediate or transit stops due to visa and travel restrictions, are completely unacceptable,” he said.

Advertisement

The NCAA stressed that airlines are responsible for informing passengers of any potential obstacles to their entry before their journey begins.

“Passengers should not be put in a position where they are denied entry or returned to Nigeria only upon arrival at transit stops,” Achimugu added.

Referring to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations 2023 (Part 19.21.1.1), the NCAA reiterated that airlines and their agents are obligated to inform travellers of any potential entry restrictions before departure.

“Airlines must take appropriate measures to screen and provide passengers with accurate, up-to-date information regarding their travel documents and visa requirements before issuing tickets or allowing boarding,” the statement read.

Advertisement

In light of these issues, the NCAA has announced immediate enforcement measures.

“Effective immediately, any airline found engaging in such practices will face regulatory action, including fines, suspension of flight operations, or other penalties deemed appropriate,” Achimugu warned.

“The NCAA expects the cooperation of all airlines in maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the aviation industry, as well as ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerian passengers,” the statement read.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News