Connect with us

News

Lakurawa threat: FG plans more troops as sect spreads across North

Published

on

As part of efforts to checkmate the Lakurawa sect, the Federal Government will deploy more military personnel and formations in the states where the terrorists operate, The PUNCH has learnt.

This is as the media reliably learnt that the sect, which operates in North West states Sokoto and Kebbi, has moved into Niger State in North Central Nigeria, as well as Kaduna State.

The Sokoto State Government asserted that it was concerned about the lives and property of its people, noting that security topped its nine-point agenda.

The Special Adviser on Security Matters to Governor Ahmad Aliyu, Col Ahmed Usman (retd.), said the Federal Government promised to deploy more security operatives in the state to tackle the sect that attacked Mera village, Kebbi State, leaving 17 residents dead November 8.

Advertisement

The terrorist group also rustled dozens of cattle in the community as the village vigilante fought back killing two members of the group during an exchange of fire.

Usman said, “If you can remember, the Minister of State for Defence during his working visit to Sokoto had disclosed the kind of pressure mounted on the Federal Government by the state government on the need to come to their aid.

“And the Federal Government has promised to establish more military formations and deploy more personnel and equipment to Sokoto State.

“On our part, the state government has provided the facility for the air component of operation ‘Fansan Yamma.’ Now, we don’t need to wait for fighter jets from Katsina in case of any emergency or air support.”

Advertisement

He added, “So, there has been investment in security infrastructure, including establishing more security outposts (Forward Operation Bases) and upgrading surveillance systems in key locations.

“The Sokoto State government has strengthened partnerships with federal security agencies to ensure a coordinated approach to tackling security challenges.

“Similarly, the government has launched public awareness campaigns with the support of the United Nations Development Programme and other local NGOs to educate citizens on security issues and encourage them to report suspicious activities.”

Speaking further, the governor’s aide explained that the current administration had been providing logistics support to the security agencies, assuring that Lakurawa “will soon be a thing of the past.”

Advertisement

Usman stated, “We provided tens of operational vehicles, including motorcycles, to security agencies and restored their allowances. In addition to other measures, we created the state-owned security outfit, which we called Sokoto State Community Guards, and they were equipped.

“Their role is to support the conventional security agencies in intelligence gathering, among others. The state government has inaugurated a security community under the leadership of the Deputy Governor of the state.

“The committee comprises security agencies, traditional and religious leaders, among other stakeholders in security. In fact, even the latest news about the Lakurawa was broken by the deputy governor while receiving members of the National Defence College in the state.”

The special adviser further explained that the state government also set up programmes to empower youths to discourage their involvement in crime and violence or being recruited by the Lakurawa.

Advertisement

He added, “The government has set up a conflict resolution mechanism to address disputes before they escalate into violence, promoting peace in communities just as it has been mediating between farmers and herdsmen to reduce conflicts over lands and resources, which can lead to insecurity.

“There has been massive investment in social welfare aimed at alleviating poverty, which is often the root cause of insecurity. And we hold regular security meetings with stakeholders to assess the security situation and develop strategies for improvement.”

The Minister of Defence, Muhammad Abubakar, assured citizens and residents of Sokoto and Kebbi states of the readiness of the armed forces to crush Lakurawa and other terrorist groups.

The minister gave the assurance in Sokoto as the Lakurawa sect reportedly extended its tentacles to Niger and Kaduna from its former hideouts in Kebbi and Sokoto States.

Advertisement

Following the November 8 attack on Mera, the Defence Headquarters deployed more troops in the area to dislodge the terror group which was said to have occupied the area for over six years.

A report said the group was dislodged from its hideout and several cattle recovered.

Speaking while inspecting the facilities of the air component of Operation ‘Fansan Yamma’ in Sokoto, the defence minister disclosed that the military had taken a decisive decision against Lakurawa.

He noted, “You heard it from the chairman of the Local Government Area attacked by the Lakurawa in Kebbi State, testifying to the heavy presence of troops in the area.

Advertisement

“The Lakurawa was sent away from the area. This is a result of the resilience and dedication of our security operatives. You are aware of the successes recorded by our air force, they bombarded some of the hideouts of the bandits and the bandits are now on the run.”

However, the Senate a few weeks ago raised the alarm that the militants had moved into Niger, Kaduna and other North-Central states, sparking fear among the people.

Worried by the activities of the terrorist group, the northern states have decided to unite against the Lakurawa in a clear move to contain its spread and operations.

The Niger State Commissioner for Homeland Security, Mohammed Bello, said the affected states were working together with the Federal Government to eliminate the terrorist cell.

Advertisement

“You know how we do in Nigeria. Sometimes, we neglect things until they become real problems, they can become complicated. For the first time, more than two or three states are putting resources together to see that things are being done to eradicate the problem.

“I assure you that the problems will become a thing of the past in a few days. In a few days, the people in Kaduna, Zamfara are putting heads together; by the grace of God, things will become clearer very soon,” Bello said.

“The issue with the bandits is that when they are under pressure in one state, they run to another state because there is no clear-cut demarcation of these states we are talking about.”

Also speaking on what the Kebbi State Government was doing to complement the Federal Government’s efforts, the Special Adviser on Communication and Strategy, Abdullahi Zuru, said the state government was supporting troops drafted to the area with logistics.

Advertisement

“We are procuring vehicles that will help them with mobility. You know the troops drafted here were brought to help us deal with the Lakurawa, but the state government is discussing with the Chief of Defence Staff on how to make them stay permanently in the areas to avoid any reoccurrence.

“We are also assisting the local vigilante with operational vehicles and other logistics to help them gather timely and accurate information for the troops.

“The role they played last time during Lakurawa’s attack on the Mera community cannot be overemphasised. They tried their best hence they need to be encouraged to do better than before.”

District heads

Advertisement

The District Head of the Gagi community in Sokoto State, Sani Jabi, advised the Federal and Sokoto State governments to adopt dialogue in dealing with the Lakurawa group in the state.

The monarch noted that the sect had inhabited some areas of the state for the past eight years.

He said the people of the affected communities had lived with the Lakurawa members for years without any issues until the November attack.

Should the security forces mount an attack on the sect, Jabi warned the government should be ready for the consequences.

Advertisement

“As for me, I prefer using dialogue with the group. This could be done in collaboration with our neighbouring countries affected by the Lakurawa.

“With such a move, their exit will be peaceful, without any rancour and exchange of fire between them and the security agents.

“But if it’s about kinetic approach, it’s also a welcome development but the Federal Government should be ready for the consequences.

“I said the consequences because the government should be ready to ensure permanent relocation of security agents to the affected areas, which will give the people hope of survival. Anything short of that, those people will come back and attack the people,” Jabi stated.

Advertisement

While calling on security agents to improve their intelligence-gathering system, the district head claimed the security agencies were aware of the existence of the group.

“I think the problem is they were not attacking their hosts before now, they initially find a way to live in peace with the people without any rancour.

“They will interact, do business and preach to them until recently when they introduced a tax on them and their cattle,” Jabi added.

He also called for the deployment of more security operatives, citing the increased population in the area.

Advertisement

“Go to the local areas, the number of divisional police officers in the last 10 years has not increased while the population is growing daily. How can you address that with the level of insecurity at hand?”

A district head from one of the affected Local Government Areas, who spoke on condition of anonymity, applauded the government for the posting of troops to the area to contain the group.

He suggested a permanent base in the area for the security agents since most of the affected communities shared borders with neighbouring countries.

He stated, “We appreciate them (government) for their efforts so far but in all honesty, we need permanent security personnel in this area to tackle this menace.

Advertisement

“We cannot continue this way; our border needs to be monitored. The border is too porous such that anyone can come in or go out at will. We want more intelligence gathering with the community stakeholders and the local vigilante, which we believe will help us better.

“This will ensure every nook and cranny will be secured. We also want the security agents to hold meetings with housing agents and local government councils, among others.

“The rural-urban migration is on the high side and we should be able to identify those migrating to our community to know where they are coming from and their source of livelihood.”

Umaru Bauji, who spoke on behalf of the District Head of the Mera community, said the community now enjoys a measure of peace and security following the deployment of troops in the area.

Advertisement

“We can categorically tell you that the situation has improved, our farmers can now access their farms unlike when the incident happened then.

News

INEC ought to have archived recall petition long ago-Senator Natasha

Published

on

By

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Thursday hailed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for rejecting a petition to recall her as the lawmaker representing Kogi Central Senatorial District.

The lawmaker, who was a guest on Channels Television’s Politics Today, said the electoral umpire should have thrown out the petition long before it did on April 3, 2025.

“I’m a lawyer. I’m a senator and I understand how Nigeria works. For me, the most important thing is this recall process has been stalled.

“I give kudos and credit to INEC even though I believe they should have thrown it away from the get-go.

Advertisement

“I think it was void ab initio because there is no law in the Electoral Act that says a petition should be discarded just because there is no address but again, what if the address is false?”

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain argued that most of the addresses provided in the petition for her recall were false because most houses in her district weren’t labelled.

Even though INEC did count 208,000 signatures, I bet you if they had gone into the verification stage, they would have struggled to even have 500 people come out to attest to signing that,” she added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas

Published

on

By

…hosts Delegation Of Rivers NASS Caucus

The Administrator of Rivers State, Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibok Ete Ekwe Ibas, has said that an appropriation bill for 2025 is being articulated to provide for critical development concerns in healthcare delivery, education, agriculture and infrastructure.

Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas also said that the anticipated budget will cater to creating more employment opportunities for Rivers people and advance delivery of technology in critical facets of public life.

The administrator gave the hint when he hosted the delegation of Rivers State caucus at the National Assembly, led by Dr Barinada Mpigi, the Senator representing Rivers South-East District, at Government House in Port Harcourt on Thursday.

Advertisement

Those on the delegation included Senator Allwell Onyesoh, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, Rep. Kingsley Chinda, Hon Dumnamene Dekor, Hon Solomon Bob, Hon Cyril Godwin Hart,
Hon Blessing Amadi, Hon. Felix Nwaeke, Hon Kelechi Nwogu, and Hon Victor Obuzor

Ibas said he has been resolute, since assumption of office, to restore law and order, and with support from the security agencies, an environment has been created where Rivers residents feel valued and safer.

The Administrator stated that the commitment is to make Rivers a model of peace in the comity of States, with a stable economy and citizens courageous to pursue their livelihood without fear or molestation.

“In addition to our peace building efforts, we are also focused on the economic stability and development of Rivers State.

Advertisement

“Since the Supreme Court verdict on the state’s budget, we have acted swiftly and decided to put together a new budget that reflects our commitment to healthcare, education, social services, and continued infrastructural development.

“We have worked diligently to ensure that the process is transparent, inclusive, and most importantly expedited. Our goal is to ensure that we do not lose any more time in making the necessary investments that will improve the lives of citizens.”

Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas stated: “The budget which is been finalized focuses on creating job opportunities and investing in key sectors such as agriculture, infrastructure, and technology.

“We understand the urgency of this initiative, and we are committed to ensuring that they are implemented without delay.”

Advertisement

The Administrator noted that to get the task done, the support of the legislators will be required as key representatives of Rivers State in the National Assembly.

He sued for their assistance in securing the necessary resources and legislative backing that would bring the initiative of his administration to fruition.

“Your partnership is critical to success in ensuring that Rivers State remains on the path of progress and enduring peace for future generations.”

He explained that in the face of the challenges that beset Rivers, which led to the State of emergency declared by President Bola Tinubu, dialogue, community engagement and reconciliation were deplored to build trust among the citizenry.

Advertisement

He noted that the people of Rivers State have shown incredible resilience and patience in the efforts taken so far to restore the State back to the path of peace and respect for the law.

Vice Admiral (Rtd) Ibas assured that his administration remains committed to achieving enduring peace for the state.

He said: “Beyond security, we have prioritised community engagements as a central part of our strategy. Dialogue, reconciliation, and inclusivity have been key to building trust among our people.

“We are determined to strengthen the bond of unity in Rivers State and to foster an environment where every citizen feels valued, heard, and respected. Together, we are making strides in ensuring that peace becomes a permanent feature of our state.”

Advertisement

Responding, Senator Barinada Mpigi, representing Rivers South-East District, said they are dedicated representatives of Rivers people at the National Assembly and resolved to support all efforts that will bring development to the State.

While commending the administrator for the modest successes he had achieved so far, Senator Mpigi pledged the support and cooperation of the legislators to ensure the return of the state on the path of law and order.

Continue Reading

News

Just in: Shettima jets out to attend Senegal’s independence

Published

on

 

Vice President Kashim Shettima has departed Abuja for Dakar, Senegal for official assignment.

The VP is expected to represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the West African nation’s 65th Independence Anniversary celebrations.

Senegal marks its Independence Day on April 4 each year, commemorating its liberation from French colonial rule in 1960.

Advertisement

The annual celebration is a significant event featuring national parades, cultural displays, and ceremonies highlighting the country’s achievements and unity.

A statement issued on Thursday by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Communications, Office of the Vice President, Stanley Nkwocha, said Shettima’s participation followed an official invitation from Senegalese President, Bassirou Diomaye Faye.

This underscored the strong diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Senegal.

The two nations share longstanding relations, particularly within the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), fostering cooperation on regional security, trade, and development initiatives.

Advertisement

The event is expected to reaffirm Senegal’s commitment to democratic governance and regional cooperation.

Vice President Shettima is scheduled to return to Nigeria immediately after the one-day celebrations, continuing his engagements in national development and diplomatic outreach.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News