News
*PH Refinery: Don Calls Out NUPENG Over Failure To Ask NNPCL Critical Questions, Says Union Leaders Are Sycophants*

By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
An American-based professor of Humanity and Comparative Literature at the University of Maryland, Josephine T. Abubakar, on Thursday took a swipe at the General Secretary and the President of Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) for singing praises of the management of Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) over the rehabilitation of Port Harcourt Refinery.
Prof. Josephine who is also a rights activist decried the postures of the union leaders by accusing them of being subservient to NNPCL instead of playing their roles as trade Unionists. He said the General Secretary Afolabi Olawale and the President, Williams Akporeha should have interrogated NNPCL on the allegations of converting the Port Harcourt refinery into a blending plant and also that it was planning to sell imported, substandard petrol to Nigerians as locally refined fuel.
NUPENG had on Tuesday expressed excitement over the resumption of refining of petroleum products by Port Harcourt Refinery, saying “we are reminded of the essential role this progress plays in addressing Nigeria’s energy challenges, alleviating hardship for workers and citizens, and fostering economic stability.” The oil and gas union also extended its congratulatory message to the Group CEO, Mr. Mele Kyari and the entire management of NNPCL on the “monumental achievement of successfully re-streaming the Port Harcourt Refinery after several years.”
Prof. Josephine in her statement made available to newsmen on Thursday said the NNPCL’s announcement of the refinery’s commencement of operations was a ruse designed to deceive Nigerians and industry players.
She claimed that the corporation had been shifting deadlines for the completion of the refinery’s repairs, leaving Nigerians to suffer from petrol shortages and high prices.
She further alleged that NNPCL’s plan to sell blended products will have a negative impact on engine performance and lifespan especially car owners and those who are into transportation business while also noting that Petroleum Tanker Drivers PTD) under NUPENG will be the greatest victims of blended diesel which has the potential of damaging the engines of their Petroleum trucks.
The statement said: “It is a big shame that NUPENG cannot join other well meaning Nigerians to interrogate NNPCL on the allegations of blended petroleum products which will ultimately have a negative impact on engine performance and lifespan, especially car owners and those who are into transportation business. NUPENG has literally portrayed itself as beggars before NNPCL having failed Nigerians and Union members who are paying checkoff dues. It is also correct that the Petroleum Tanker Drivers under NUPENG will be largely affected by NNPCL blended diesel and this should be of great concern.
”The last time I checked, NUPENG is the one organizing PTD, therefore the protection and the interest of PTD should be its primary objective instead of being subservient to NNPCL, dining and winning with its leadership in hotels and engaging in foreign trips while also receiving estacode allowances in dollars. The leadership of NUPENG as presently constituted has outrightly given itself out as sycophants with no integrity. The re-streaming of Port Harcourt Refinery is good for the nation, but as a responsible union, you must do your due diligence before rushing to press to sing praises as if you are NNPCL propaganda machinery. This will never happen under Frank Kokori of blessed memory, when he was the General Secretary of that Union. Men of great honour are no longer in NUPENG today, this is ridiculous and sad.
”This is the same NUPENG who took the executives of PTD, a Branch under it, to Court on trump up charges. We read how NUPENG humiliated the National Chairman of PTD, Comrade Lucky Osesua and his executives, Comrade Dayyabu Yusuf Garga, Comrade (Chief) Peter Moudebelu (Onwa), Comrade Humble Obinna Power and others. Thankfully the judiciary and the Police are not biased on the matter. I am confident they will get justice and be allowed to serve the interest of their members in PTD who voted for them to run the affairs of the Branch at the National level.
“It was gathered from good and reliable authority that NNPCL has now made a bad situation worse by stage-managing a resumption of production since it has now been established that NNPCL is not trucking out Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), better known as petrol, from its Port Harcourt Refinery. Instead, some videos of NNPCL branded trucks that were used to announce that the refinery has resumed operations and started trucking out PMS were mere movie productions to mislead Nigerians.
“NLC needs to come in and put NUPENG to check. The NUPENG leaders are nothing but a disgrace, this is not trade unionism but gangs of capitalists who are desperately looking for money and power with greed and covetousness. Anybody can insult me. I dont care. I will continue to be on the side of truth. Insults mean nothing to me. They only fuel my resolve and strengthen my determination. They are like water off a duck’s back and neither can they deter me from speaking my mind on any pressing or burning issue in the interest of PTD no matter how unpopular my position may be to them. My prayer is that Nigeria will succeed,” Prof Josephine stated.
News
Delta issues 21-day ultimatum to unapproved schools

The Delta State Government has vowed to shut down all unapproved nursery and primary schools across the state.
The measure is being taken “to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state.”
This was contained in a government special announcement signed by the Director of Public Communication/Functioning Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Information, Theresa Adiabua Oliko.
Copies were made available to journalists in Warri on Thursday.
The government, however, advised owners of all unapproved primary schools across the state to “upgrade” within the 21-day ultimatum or risk being shut down.
The public announcement partly reads, “It is hereby announced for the information of the public, particularly owners of private nursery and primary schools in Delta State, that the government, pursuance to its responsibility to sanitise the private sector participation in the primary education sector in the state, that all unapproved primary schools in the state are hereby given a 21-day ultimatum to upgrade their infrastructure and formalise their status with the ministry of primary education with immediate effect.
“Failure to comply with this directive will attract severe sanctions, including outright closure of all such schools.
“The 21-day ultimatum has become imperative as a result of the proliferation of unapproved private schools whose poor infrastructural facilities, unqualified teachers and unhealthy operational environment have become worrisome to the state government.”
News
I’m not behind Elisha Abbo’s sacking from Senate – Akpabio

The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio on Thursday, berated former lawmaker representing Adamawa North Senatorial District, Elisha Abbo, saying he has no hand in his removal from the National Assembly.
The clarification was made in a statement issued in Abuja by Akpabio’s media aide, Eseme Eyiboh.
Abbo was sacked by the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on October 16, 2023.
The judgment delivered by a three-member panel presided over by Justice C.E. Nwosu-Iheme ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Amos Yohanna of the Peoples Democratic Party as the duly elected lawmaker representing the area at the Senate.
The appellate court vacated the tribunal judgment which had earlier affirmed Abbo of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the senatorial election.
But speaking on a live programme on Arise Television on Wednesday, Abbo blamed Akpabio for his predicament.
The Adamawa politician also accused the Senate President of running the Red Chamber like an emperor.
This was even as he condemned the suspension of the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who is presently battling to retain her mandate.
Reacting, Akpabio said he was shocked to hear Abbo blame him again for his ouster from the Senate barely two years after apologising to him.
He said, “It is sad and regrettable that despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr. Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.
“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo himself acknowledged that Senator Akpabio had ‘no involvement’ in the judicial process that led to his removal. It is puzzling that he would now return to the same baseless allegations he once renounced.”
Continuing, Akpabio emphasised that it was the court and not him that determined his fate before he was consequently removed.
The former governor asserted that he, therefore, found it illogical and irresponsible that Abbo could turn around and allege that he influenced the judgment that he accepted at the time.
“It is there in the papers (see PUNCH Newspaper of 18th October 2023). Mr Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.
“If any of Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta. It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.
“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.
“We urge Mr Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth,” the statement added.
News
NCAA to sanction airlines over deportees maltreatment

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has strongly cautioned international airlines against the increasing complaints from passengers who are transported partway to their destinations, only to be deported back to Nigeria.
The NCAA criticised this practice, emphasising that it has led to considerable distress for passengers and damaged the reputation of Nigeria’s aviation industry.
The NCAA’s Director of Consumer Protection and Public Affairs, Michael Achimugu, announced this in a signed statement on Thursday.
“These actions, which involve the refusal of boarding or denial of entry at intermediate or transit stops due to visa and travel restrictions, are completely unacceptable,” he said.
The NCAA stressed that airlines are responsible for informing passengers of any potential obstacles to their entry before their journey begins.
“Passengers should not be put in a position where they are denied entry or returned to Nigeria only upon arrival at transit stops,” Achimugu added.
Referring to the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations 2023 (Part 19.21.1.1), the NCAA reiterated that airlines and their agents are obligated to inform travellers of any potential entry restrictions before departure.
“Airlines must take appropriate measures to screen and provide passengers with accurate, up-to-date information regarding their travel documents and visa requirements before issuing tickets or allowing boarding,” the statement read.
In light of these issues, the NCAA has announced immediate enforcement measures.
“Effective immediately, any airline found engaging in such practices will face regulatory action, including fines, suspension of flight operations, or other penalties deemed appropriate,” Achimugu warned.
“The NCAA expects the cooperation of all airlines in maintaining the integrity and professionalism of the aviation industry, as well as ensuring the wellbeing of Nigerian passengers,” the statement read.
-
News20 hours ago
Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her
-
Economy20 hours ago
SEE Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 3rd April 2025
-
News15 hours ago
Just in: “Ignore rumour mongers, there was no time I collapsed “-Wike asserts
-
News15 hours ago
CJ transfers Natasha’s case to Justice Nyako
-
News19 hours ago
Just in: INEC dumps recall petition against Sen Natasha
-
News12 hours ago
We’re putting together new 2025 Budget for Rivers-Ibas
-
News23 hours ago
Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others
-
News16 hours ago
Nnamdi Kanu declares his release won’t exceed end of April