Connect with us

Politics

2027: Obidients reconvene, plot APC’s ouster

Published

on

Members of various support groups of the Obidient Movement in Delta State reconvened in Asaba, the state capital, over the weekend to strategize on ousting the All Progressives Congress (APC) from governance in the 2027 general elections.

The movement expressed discontent with the APC-led federal government, accusing it of confusion, lack of vision, and mediocrity, and lamenting that it had subjected the country to untold hardship.

Speaking virtually at the Obidient Movement Conference themed “Reawakening and Harmonizing Obidient Movement for a New Nigeria,” Prof. Pat Utomi emphasized the importance of good governance and progressive administration.

In his keynote address, renowned scholar Prof. Chris Nwaokobia underscored the urgency of preparing for 2027. He stated, “The time is ripe to begin networking and creating a stronger movement than what we had in 2023 because the federal government is a monstrous failure.

Advertisement

“Hunger has become a common denominator; anger is on the streets. They have failed in just about everything. They don’t know what to do with the economy; the system is absolutely rudderless. Leadership has lost direction, and they are confused.

“If a new Nigeria is possible and the current era is a monstrous failure, the message of the movement will resonate even more.”

Earlier, Delta Obidient Elders Council Chairman, Chief Chris Biose, expressed concern over Nigeria’s underperformance.

“Nigeria has a vibrant population of over 200 million people with vast uncultivated agricultural land, yet citizens are dying of hunger, unable to feed themselves, and access basic standard facilities,” he said. “It is safe to say Nigeria is underperforming its potentials. It is a contradiction.”

Advertisement

Biose criticized leaders for failing the nation and commended Obidient youths across the country for their political self-mobilization during the 2023 presidential election, which he described as a significant effort to challenge entrenched political parties.

“It is time to prepare to re-enact the magic of February 25, 2023, with greater intensity and finality,” Biose urged. “The electorate that supported Mr. Peter Obi are still here, disappointed but still desirous of good governance. How do we reenlist them in the struggle for a New Nigeria?”

He further outlined a vision for a self-reliant nation focused on production rather than consumption, where resources are utilized for the benefit of the masses rather than a corrupt elite.

“Nigerian citizens deserve a prosperous and egalitarian nation-state,” he said.

Advertisement

“To achieve the objective of a New and Better Nigeria, Obidients must arm themselves with a clear vision, workable plans, well-articulated targets, knowledge, skills, courage, persistence, and personal discipline.

“No doubt, Obidients have taken upon themselves the historic duty of building a new Nigeria.”

Politics

Just in: Confusion As Edo Guber Tribunal ‘Judgment’ Leaks Online

Published

on

By

A document alleged to be the judgment of the Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has surfaced online, just a day before the official ruling is set to be announced.
The tribunal had previously scheduled April 2, 2025, for the formal delivery of its judgment regarding the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, challenging the outcome of the September 21, 2024, election.

The leaked ‘judgment,’ which appeared on social media, shows a split decision among the three-member panel led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi. According to the documents, two of the justices, Kpochi and A.B. Yusuf, ruled to dismiss the petition, while Justice A.A. Adewole gave a minority judgment in favor of Ighodalo.

In the leaked minority judgment, Justice Adewole argued that Governor Monday Okpebholo’s election should be nullified due to significant violations of the Electoral Act. He claimed that Ighodalo and the PDP had provided enough proof that their candidate should have received 243,113 votes compared to Okpebholo’s 210,326 votes, which would have changed the election’s outcome.

“The petitioners’ case was not rebutted, and they showed unit by unit how the actual total should be 243,113 votes, while the 2nd Respondent’s tally should stand at 210,326 votes—a clear reversal of the declared result,” Justice Adewole reportedly wrote.

Advertisement

On the other hand, the majority ruling by Justice Kpochi acknowledged that some irregularities occurred, such as improper documentation of serial numbers in EC 25B forms and cases of over-voting. However, the tribunal concluded that these issues did not significantly impact the election results.

Justice Kpochi stated, “The petitioners have not discharged the dual burden to the satisfaction of the law. Accordingly, the petition lacks merit and is hereby dismissed.”

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had earlier declared Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the winner, with 291,667 votes, while Ighodalo of the PDP secured 247,655 votes. Dissatisfied with the results, Ighodalo and his party argued that the election was flawed due to improper handling of sensitive materials, which they claim led to rigging.

The case, officially registered as EPT/ED/GOV/02/2024, questions the legitimacy of Okpebholo’s victory, with the PDP insisting that their candidate received the highest number of lawful votes.

Advertisement

As the tribunal prepares to announce its ruling, the leaked documents have sparked debate over whether the final decision will align with what has already surfaced online.

Continue Reading

Politics

SDP cautions defectors against taking control of the party

Published

on

By

The leadership of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Southwest at the weekend made clarification on the new membership of the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory ( FCT) , Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and others who recently joined the party.

According to the party,  new members are expected to play the game by the rules , and not to hijack the party from those who are there before them.

Speaking at a meeting of the party during an Iftar organized by the Oyo State chapter of the party for stakeholders in the 11 local governments in Ibadanland, the leader of SDP in the South West,  Hon. Mulikat Adeola Akande declared that the party will take careful measure to ensure that only candidates that are tested and trusted are presented in the 2027 general elections.

On the defection of former governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai to the SDP, Hon Mulikat Akande said “politics is a game of numbers and anybody who wants to come into SDP is welcome as long as they are ready to play by the rules of the party and not with the mind of taking the party from those who are there before.”

Advertisement

She said she was not aware that the motive of  the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, to join the SDP is to become the presidential candidate of the party in 2027.

Hon Akande , while commenting on the chances of the party, said the SDP would ensure that only credible candidates are allowed to fly the party’s flag in the next general elections.

“ You don’t just sit down and say you want to win election and then go and bring out anybody. We must have the right candidates, somebody tested and trusted,who has integrity that when people hears his name they can rely on him. Someone who is dependable and reliable who will work for the people and not for himself. Those are the qualities we are looking for,” she said

Hon Akande further charged party faithful to remain loyal to the party so as to ensure its success at the polls urging intending members to register at their various wards.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

Recall process incurs higher costs than senatorial election, says INEC

Published

on

By

The Independent National Electoral Commission has outlined the complexities and costs involved in the recall process, likening it to organising a full election.

These were communicated on Saturday via X Spaces as the commission discussed “INEC Regulations and Guidelines for recall 2024. BVAS and IREV: Facts and Myths.”

The Special Adviser to the INEC Chairman, Prof. Mohammed Kuna, explained that a recall election involves significant resources, including staff mobilisation, technology, and recall material deployments, and transportation.

He noted that the process is more expensive than a senatorial election, requiring efforts equivalent to conducting three such elections.

Advertisement

“A recall process is like conducting an election itself. It has to do with mobilisation of staff, deployments of recall materials, technologies, transportation, among others.

“A recall process is like conducting three senatorial district elections because we will go back to the field three times. It is more expensive than conducting a senatorial election.”

Also, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Rotimi Oyekanmi, reaffirmed the Commission’s commitment to following legal guidelines in the event of a recall.

“If constituents express the desire for a recall and fulfill the necessary requirements, we will proceed accordingly,” Oyekanmi said.

Advertisement

He added that if a seat in the National Assembly becomes vacant and INEC is informed by the Presiding Officers, a by-election would be conducted.

Regarding the financial aspects, Oyekanmi assured that INEC has provisions in place for all potential scenarios.

“We prepare for all situations, as we are aware of the unpredictability of electoral events,” he stated, ensuring that the Commission is ready for any developments.

INEC received a petition seeking the recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who represents Kogi Central Senatorial District.

Advertisement

The petition, presented on behalf of the constituents by Charity Ijese, was received and stamped by INEC’s Secretary, Rose Oriaran-Anthony, on Monday at the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja.

The recall petition followed a series of contentious events involving Akpoti-Uduaghan, who was suspended from the Senate on March 6 for alleged “gross misconduct” after a dispute with Senate President Godswill Akpabio.

She had previously accused Akpabio of sexual harassment.
The constituents, who claim to have met the constitutional requirements for the recall process, stated that over 200,000 registered voters, more than half of the district’s electorate, signed the petition.

The commission further confirmed that a letter containing the telephone numbers, email addresses, and other contact information of the petitioners’ representatives was submitted on Wednesday to the Commission’s Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.

Advertisement

The commission noted that the next phase in the process would involve INEC verifying whether the petition has been endorsed by more than 50 percent of the registered voters in Kogi Central.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News