News
Burkina Faso Head of State Dissolves Govt, Fires Prime Minister

Burkina Faso’s ruling military leader on Friday dismissed the country’s prime minister and dissolved the government, according to a presidential decree.
The sacked premier had served at the head of three successive governments, surviving each reshuffle.
No reason was given for the dismissal of Apollinaire Joachim Kyelem de Tambela, who was named as premier in October 2022 after the coup that brought Captain Ibrahim Traore to power.
“The Prime Minister’s official functions are terminated,” said the decree, adding that members of the dissolved government would “carry out ongoing business until the formation of a new government.”
The West African country was plunged into instability by a January 2022 coup in which Lieutenant-Colonel Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba seized power.
Little more than eight months later, Damiba himself was overthrown by Traore, 36, who now heads the junta regime.
Damiba, who ousted elected president Roch Marc Christian Kabore, is currently in exile in neighbouring Togo.
Burkina Faso has allied with fellow Sahel nations Mali and Niger, which are also led by military juntas following a string of coups since 2020.
The three nations joined together last September under the Alliance of Sahel States (AES), after severing ties with former colonial ruler France and pivoting towards Russia.
Burkina Faso was a French colony for the first half of the 20th century, and relations have soured with Paris following the 2022 coup.
Foreign Minister, Karamoko Jean-Marie Traore, last month said Burkina Faso’s cooperation with Russia “better suited” his country than its historic ties with France.
Along with Mali and Niger, Burkina Faso announced in January they were turning their backs on the Economic Community of West African States — ECOWAS — an organisation they accused of being manipulated by Paris.
News
SAD! Woman Reportedly Poisons Boyfriend To D3ath For Cheating On Her

…conceals Body Under Bed
A young woman allegedly poisoned her boyfriend to d3ath for cheating on her in Iyo Polo community, Marine Base, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
It was gathered that after k!lling the deceased, she hid his body under the bed inside his room for three days.
According to local reports, residents of the area became suspicious after noticing a foul odor emanating from the victim’s residence.
Concerned neighbors attempted to reach the deceased but received no response.
Their suspicions grew when they observed the suspect acting strangely and refusing entry into the apartment.
Upon notifying law enforcement, officers arrived at the scene and forced their way into the room, where they discovered the decomposing body of the victim.
The suspect was immediately arrested and taken into police custody for further investigation.
Authorities have yet to release an official statement regarding the motive behind the alleged m8rder.
However, preliminary findings suggest that the incident may have stemmed from a domestic dispute.
News
Protesters call for suspension of FUOYE VC over alleged sexual harassment

A group of protesters have converged on the Federal Ministry of Education in Abuja, calling for the suspension of Professor Abayomi Fasina as Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE), to allow proper investigation into sexual harassment allegation.
Protesters armed with placards-bearing slogans such as ‘Ekiti Deserves Better’ and ‘Protect Our Women,’ argued that the Vice-Chancellor cannot remain in office while facing investigation for sexual harassment allegations.
The embattled VC has been under investigations over allegations made in a leaked voice note regarding a sexual harassment case against one of his married subordinates.
Speaking to journalists after submitting a petition to the Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, the leader of the protesters under the aegis of Coalition of Civil Society Organisations Against Corruption, Victor Adetola, said suspending the VC would give room for thorough investigations into the matter.
Adetola said: “We have looked at the developing story that has been going on in that university as an organisation that is fronting for the welfare of Nigerian students and the community or the educational community generally.
“The issue will be festering if there is no thorough investigation, and we need that place to be sanitised. Honestly, currently there is a disciplinary action investigation that is going on that was first given a three-week ultimatum.
“After that, they requested for another three weeks ultimatum, even inclusive of the governing council. And for the past six months, nothing has been done. We see that a lot of undiagnosed, a lot of corruption has been festering.
“In fact, one of the most critical issues happening is the sexual harassment that has happened to one of the married assistant directors in that school.
“Specifically, it’s necessary that the leader of the university steps down first, or the governing council relieves him of that position first, so that independent investigation can be carried out on all the petitions that we have written.”
News
NJC, NBA raises concerns as Uzodimma names Nzeukwu Imo’s acting Chief Judge

The National Judicial Council (NJC) has distanced itself from the purported appointment by Governor Hope Uzodinma of Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu as the acting Chief Judge of Imo State.
The NJC, in a statement by its Deputy Director (Information), Mrs. Kemi Ogendengbe said it was yet to consider a request by Uzodinma to appoint Justice Nzeukwu, who is currently number four in the hierarchy of judges’ seniority in Imo State High Court.
The statement reads: “The attention of the council has been drawn to the news making rounds that the Governor of Imo State, His Excellency, Senator Hope Uzodimma, CON, had purportedly appointed Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is number four in the hierarchy of judges seniority in Imo State High Court, as the acting Chief Judge of the state, in view of the recent disciplinary action taken against the erstwhile Chief Judge of the state.
“The National Judicial Council, by this press release, wants to clarify to the public that the Governor of Imo State had earlier written to the council requesting for its approval to appoint Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is number four in the hierarchy of seniority as acting Chief Judge of the state.
“The governor in his said correspondence to the council, gave reasons why in his own view, the three most senior judges are not appointable.
“The council is informing the public that the said letter is yet to be considered, as deliberation on the request is slated for the next council meeting, which is scheduled to hold on 29th and 30th April, 2025.
“The council is therefore, by this press release, informing the public that the governor’s request is yet to be considered by the council.
“The council has not given approval to the governor for the appointment of the acting Chief Judge.
“The council is not a party to the process of the purported appointment of Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu as the acting Chief Judge.”
The NJC had, at its 107th meeting held between November 13 and 14, 2024 recommended the compulsory retirement of the then Chief Judge of Imo State, Justice T. E. Chukwuemeka Chikeka over alleged age falsification.
It said Justice Chikeka was recommended to the Imo State Governor for compulsory retirement with effect from October 27, 2021, with all salaries and allowances the judge received in excess from the said date refunded to the council.
The NJC added: “The recommendation was pursuant to the findings of the Council that His Lordship has two different dates of birth: 27 October 1956 and 27 October 1958.
“However, 27 October 1956 appeared to be the consistent date of birth, but in 2006, the Chief Judge swore to an affidavit changing the date of birth to 27 October 1958.”
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Owerri Branch has expressed serious concerns over the appointment.
Speaking after swearing in the new Acting Chief Judge, Governor Uzodimma recalled the disgraceful manner the former Chief Judge was removed from office by the NJC, and the events that followed thereafter, and warned against a repeat of what he described as “dishonourable incident where a Chief Judge is suddenly removed from office for such an ugly indictment of age falsification.”
Reacting to the appointment, the NBA urged Governor Uzodimma to adhere to due process in the appointment of a new Chief Judge, emphasising the importance of following established protocols to ensure transparency and legitimacy.
According to the NBA, Nzeukwu’s appointment violates the provisions of the 1999 Constitution, which stipulates that the most senior judge of the High Court should be appointed as Acting Chief Judge in the event of a vacancy.
“We insist that due process must be followed in the appointment of the Acting Chief Judge,” Chairman of the NBA Owerri Branch, Chief Chris U. Ihentuge and the Secretary, Daniel O. Odiba, said in a statement yesterday.
According to the statement: “If the most senior judge or judges were bypassed, the rationale for this deviation must be immediately justified.”
Failure to do so, they warned, will further erode public confidence in the judiciary.
The NBA demands that Governor Uzodimma takes immediate action to address this situation and reverse the appointment, which they deem inconsistent with the Constitution.
The statement reads in part: “The Nigerian Bar Association, Owerri Branch demands that the Governor should, immediately, take steps to address this situation and reverse this action which is inconsistent with the Constitution. Failure to do so will further erode public confidence in the judiciary at a time when trust in our institutions is already fragile. The Bar shall also take all steps necessary in the circumstance.
“The Nigerian Bar Association, Owerri Branch, reiterates that it has no interest in any particular individual holding the office of the Chief Judge, but it is deeply committed to the protection of due process, the rule of law, and the sanctity of the Constitution.
“The NBA Owerri Branch has communicated its concerns to the Imo State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, the Body of Senior Advocates of Nigeria (BOSAN), Imo State Chapter, the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) of Imo State, the President of the Nigerian Bar Association, and the National Judicial Council (NJC).”
-
News19 hours ago
JUST-IN: Burkina Faso President Traore Reportedy Survives Another Assassination Attempt
-
News11 hours ago
Full list: NNPC appoints new senior management team
-
News22 hours ago
Damaged reputation: Akpabio drags Abbo, Natasha to court
-
News10 hours ago
SAD! APC publicity scribe dies in UK
-
News11 hours ago
Inmate allegedly killed wife during prison visit
-
News20 hours ago
US Keenly Monitoring Edo Election Appeal Process Amid Concerns Over Transparency
-
News23 hours ago
Court bans Natasha Akpoti, Akpabio, 3 others from speaking to media about ongoing case
-
Metro10 hours ago
Plateau attack: 40 more bodies recovered as death toll hits 52