Connect with us

News

UK to ban ninja swords amid knife crime ‘crisis’

Published

on

By Francesca Hangeior

Possessing a ninja sword is to be banned in the United Kingdom and carry a penalty of up to six months in jail, the British government said on Thursday.

According to the UK government, the development is in a bid to curb what it has called a “national” knife crime “crisis”.

The Home Office said most ninja swords had a blade of between 14 and 24 inches (36 and 61 centimetres), with one straight cutting edge and a tanto style — or sharply-angled — tip.

Advertisement

From August 1, anyone caught in possession of a ninja sword in private could face six months in prison. That is set to rise to two years under forthcoming legislation.

There is already a penalty of up to four years in prison for carrying any weapon in public.

The ninja sword ban is the final part of the so-called Ronan’s law, a raft of anti-knife crime measures introduced in parliament last month as part of the government’s crime and policing bill.

The measures include making retailers report bulk or suspicious sales to police and a rise in jail terms to two years for selling weapons to children.

Advertisement

The law is named after teenager Ronan Kanda, who was murdered with a ninja sword in 2022 by two other teenagers in a case of mistaken identity.

“Knife crime is destroying young lives as too many teenagers are being drawn into violence and it is far too easy for them to get hold of dangerous weapons,” Home Secretary Yvette Cooper said.

“Ronan Kanda was just 16 when he was ruthlessly killed by two boys only a year older than him.

“Today we are introducing the final part of Ronan’s law in his memory — banning the ninja swords that his killers should never have been able to use,” she added.

Advertisement

The ninja sword move follows a ban on “zombie” type knives and machetes introduced in September 2024.

Under that measure, knives with a blade more than eight inches long and those with a serrated cutting edge, which are often used by gangs, were banned.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer has called knife crime a “national crisis”.

Ahead of the ninja sword ban there will be a month-long surrender scheme in July, the Home Office said.

Advertisement

Knife crime in England and Wales has been steadily rising since 2011, according to official government data.

Excluding the northern city of Manchester, in the year ending June 2024, there were 50,973 offences involving a sharp instrument compared to 36,000 in the year ending March 2011 — a 41-percent increase.

Figures for national deaths from stabbings are hard to find. But 10 teenagers died in stabbings in London last year and 18 in 2023, the Metropolitan Police said.
 

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

US cancels ex- president ,Nobel Peace Prize winner Oscar Arias visa

Published

on

By

A former president of Costa Rica, Oscar Arias, says his US visa has been revoked.

Arias, a Nobel laureate, said he was informed of the decision weeks after he had publicly criticised Donald Trump, comparing the behaviour of the US president to that of a Roman emperor.

The 84-year-old, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in brokering an end to conflicts in Central America, said US authorities had given no explanation.

Arias hinted, however, that it may be due to his rapprochement with China during the time he was president from 2006 to 2010.

Advertisement

Speaking at a news conference in the Costa Rican capital, San José, Arias said he had “no idea” what the reason for the cancellation was.

He said he had received a “terse” email “of a few lines” from the US government informing him of the decision.

He added that he thought that it was not President Trump but the US State Department, which had taken the decision.

While he said it would be conjecture on his part to speculate about the reason behind the visa revocation, he did point out that “I established diplomatic relations with China.

Advertisement

“That, of course, is known throughout the world,” he told journalists of his 2007 decision to cut ties with Taiwan and establish them with China instead.

The Trump administration has sought to oppose China’s influence in the Western hemisphere and has accused a number of Central American governments of cosying up to the Chinese government and Chinese companies.

However, it has been supportive of the current Costa Rican President, Rodrigo Chaves, praising his decision to exclude Chinese firms from participating in the development of 5G in Costa Rica.

But this perceived closeness between President Chaves and the US was criticised by Arias, who wrote a post on social media in February saying that “it has never been easy for a small country to disagree with the US government, less so when its president behaves like a Roman emperor, telling the rest of the world what to do”.

Advertisement

He added that “during my governments, Costa Rica never received orders from Washington as if we were a banana republic.”

Arias is not the only Costa Rican to have had his US visa revoked. Three members of the country’s national assembly who opposed President Chaves’s decree to exclude Chinese companies from participating in the development of 5G have also had theirs cancelled. [BBC]

Continue Reading

News

Natasha: Kogi PDP hammers Ododo, reiterates unfeigned support for her

Published

on

By

…says state govt’s attempts to silence opposition won’t stand

…calls on IGP to immediately release detained members

Following the desperate, despicable and perfidious attempts by the Kogi state Government to gag, and hound opposition parties through the restrictions on rallies, convoy movements, and similar solidarity activities across the state, Kogi state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) has roundly criticized, and totally condemned such moves.

Arising from the state Exco meeting, held Tuesday, April 1st, 2025, the PDP, having done proper analysis of the situation, believes that the move is targeted at Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

Advertisement

This was contained in a statement signed by Alhaji Umoru Tijani Aruwa State Publicity Secretary
Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) further declaring that:

“Obviously afraid of our highly performing, and resourceful Senator, the state government had to resort to jittery, fearful, and incongrous instructions which are glaring infringement on her fundamental rights to freedom of movement and association.

“The undemocratic actions which have the tone, tenor, and texture of autocratism and despotism was clearly targeted at preventing Kogi state’s (and Nigeria’s) legislative amazon from meeting her constituents who organized the home-coming for her.

“It is highly shameful, preposterous, and cynical that the state government in their failed attempt to silence Akpoti-Uduaghan, effected the arrest of some officials and key personalities of our party in Kogi Central District; days before the event. From reports, many party faithful across the five LGAs that make up the District suffered varied degrees of harassment, intimidation, and coercion. Indeed, there were inglorious, and shameless attempts by alleged agents of the state government to induce some of our party members. But, all these desperate moves failed, comprehensively!

Advertisement

“Happily, all these tongue-follery attempts, ludicrous activities, and wanton shenanigans failed woefully; as the constituents and supporters, across all political parties thronged out in their numbers to solidarize and re-enact their support for Akpoti-Uduaghan.

” The visit, has once again shown that the people of Kogi Central District are not only with but also identify with her despite attempts to silence her progressive and patriotic voice by few, privileged individuals in the Senate, and collaborators in Kogi state.

“Given the outpouring of love, commendation, and eulogies extended by the people to Akpoti-Uduaghan at the event, irrespective of the numerous bobby-traps and devilish bottlenecks orchestrated by the APC government in Kogi, it clearly shows that the constituents are at home with their daughter. That the tumultuous gathering, which was organic defied all man-made encumbrances to proudly identify with her, and pass resounding confidence-vote on Akpoti-Uduaghan has rubbished every earlier plans by the Kogi state government to put forward wrong narratives about the Senatorial District.

“While we strongly urge the state government to allow the freedom of speech, movement, and association to fully thrive; without let or hate amongst the people of Kogi, we appeal that every dictatorial actions, and totalitarian tendencies that are capable of truncating democratic ethos must be put away by the present administration in the state.

Advertisement

“As a party, the Kogi state PDP chapter, declares unequivocal support, and stands; firmly without reservations with Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan. We also reiterate that the good people of Kogi state will continue to show utmost solidarity with her, as she forges ahead in her fight against abuse, harassment, intimidation, and segregation.

“The PDP commend the courage, doggedness, and sacrifices of the people of Kogi Central District who defied all odds to attend the home-coming event, and have also remained consistent and resolute in their respective and collective support for Akpoti-Uduaghan. Be assured that we have resolved; as always to stand with you, all.

“Finally, we call on the Inspector-General of Police, the leadership of all relevant security agencies to ensure the immediate release of all our party members that were unlawfully arrested under nebulous, and spurious guises by the state government.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Just in: Finally, Trump imposes 14% tarriff on Nigeria oil, others

Published

on

By

The United States President Donald Trump has announced sweeping global tariffs on all imports into the country, slamming 14 percent on Nigeria.

According to 2023 data published by Observatory of Economic Complexity (OEC), Nigeria exported $6.29 billion to US.

The main exports were crude Petroleum ($4.73 billion), Petroleum gas ($920 million), and nitrogenous fertilisers ($167 million).

Over the past five years, according to OEC, Nigeria’s exports to the US have increased at an annualised rate of 1.59 percent, from $5.81 billion in 2018 to $6.29 billion in 2023.

Advertisement

Stocks had closed higher before Trump’s announcement but later buckled under the weight of the new order, disrupting business decisions and raising fears of a global trade war.

Trump said he was optimistic the numbers would improve, maintaining that the decision was critical for America’s restoration as the world’s sole superpower.
After delivering his speech, Trump signed the decision as an executive order.

The executive order imposes a “baseline” 10 percent tariff on all imports as well as individualised reciprocal tariff rates on over 60 countries.
He told foreign leaders “who will soon be calling to ask for exemptions from these tariffs” to drop theirs first.

Parts of the order had different implementation timelines, with some beginning as early as in a few hours.
“Effective at midnight, we will impose a 25-percent tariff on all foreign-made automobiles,” Trump noted.

Advertisement

The “baseline” 10 percent tariff would start on April 5, while higher rates on various partners would begin on April 9.

According to the US government, Nigeria charges 27 percent tariffs to the US. The report included currency manipulation and trade barriers as contributors to the amount.

In retaliation, Trump imposed a 14 percent retaliatory tariff on Nigeria.
Countries like China and Mexico already grappling with previously imposed tariffs were hit with additional rates.
Here are the country-specific tariff rates:
China –34 percent
India — 26 percent
South Korea — 25 percent
Japan — 24 percent
Taiwan — 32 percent
United Kingdom — 10 percent
Vietnam — 46 percent
Switzerland — 31 percent
Cambodia — 49 percent
South Africa — 30 percent
Indonesia — 32 percent
Brazil — 10 percent
Singapore — 10 percent

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News