Connect with us

Politics

LP crisis: BoT takes over party, describes Anambra convention as a charade

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Board of Trustees (BoT) of the Labour Party (LP) said it has stepped in to steer the affairs of the party following the expiration of the tenure in office of the immediate past National Working Committee (NWC) led by Julius Abure.

A statement signed and issued on Wednesday night by the BoT, through its Chairman, Comrade S.O.Z. Ejiofor, described the secret national convention held on Wednesday, at Nnewi in Anambra State, as a charade.

The statement reads: “Following the expiration of the tenure in office of the immediate past National Working Committee of the Labour Party headed by Mr. Julius Abure, the Board of Trustees of the Labour Party, in line with the Labour Party Constitution, has stepped in to steer the affairs of the Labour Party.

“This step is to avoid any leadership vacuum in the Labour Party.

Advertisement

“Furthermore, the Board of Trustees of the Labour Party, in consultation with major stakeholders in the Party, will soon communicate the processes for the conduct of an all-inclusive and expansive National Convention of the Labour Party.

“This is in line with the March 20, 2018, Federal High Court consent judgement delivered by Justice Gabriel Kolawole, which recognised the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) as the owner of the Labour Party and mandated that an all-inclusive and expansive National Convention of the Labour Party be held.

“The decision of the Board of Trustees is also in furtherance of the agreement signed between the former National Chairman of the Labour Party, Mr. Julius Abure, and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) on 27th June 2022, which was mediated by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

“While we commend members of the Labour Party, especially workers, students, youths, market women and men, Obidients, and candidates on the platform of the Labour Party for their contributions and fidelity to the ideals of the party, the Board of Trustees promises to quickly set in motion processes for the conduct of an all-inclusive and expansive National Convention.

Advertisement

“Unlike the charade that took place today (Wednesday ) in Nnewi and in tandem with the principles of popular democracy, the all-inclusive National Convention will start with grassroots congresses at ward, local government, state and ultimately at the national level.

“This process will not leave any genuine member of the Labour Party out and will be held in the full view of the Independent National Electoral Commission, media, civil society, security agents and the general public.

“We commend the leader of the Labour Party, Mr. Peter Obi and key stakeholders in the Labour Party for declining to deodorise the malfeasance that took place in Nnewi with their presence.

“The BOT assures all stakeholders that we are committed to reclaiming and repositioning the Labour Party as the vehicle for the socio-political emancipation of our dear country, her working people and populace.”

Advertisement

Earlier on Wednesday, Abure was re-elected as the National Chairman of the Labour Party at a controversial national convention held in Nnewi, Anambra State.

Abure, along with eight others, was declared re-elected into the 22-member National Working Committee (NWC) of the LP by the Chairman of the National Convention and Deputy Governor of Abia State, Ikechukwu Emetu, at the event held at Grand Seasons Hotel in Nnewi.

A communique issued by the LP delegates, who attended the convention, said the party declared its presidential candidate in the 2023 general election, Peter Obi, as its preferred presidential candidate for the 2027 general election.

The controversial convention also adopted the Governor of Abia State, Alex Otti, as the Labour Party governorship candidate for the 2027 gubernatorial election in Abia State.

Advertisement

However, both Obi and Otti were conspicuously absent at the national convention.

Abia Deputy Governor, Emetu, led all members of the State Executive Council (SEC) and members of the National and State Assemblies from the state elected on the LP platform to the national convention.

However, no member of the National and State Assemblies from Anambra State elected under the LP platform except the member representing Peter Obi’s Anaocha/Njikoka/Dunukofia Federal Constituency and Deputy Minority Whip of the House of Representatives, George Ozodinobi, attended the LP national convention.

The controversial re-election of Abure as National Chairman came a week after members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) picketed the LP secretariat in Abuja.

Advertisement

It would be recalled that the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had earlier asked Abure to shelve his planned secret national convention.

The NLC had in a statement on Friday, March 15, accused Abure of running the Labour Party as a Sole Administrator by secretly scheduling a supposed national convention of the party without consulting stakeholders.

Members of the NLC, which accused Abure of “financial rascality”, had on Wednesday, March 20, occupied the National headquarters of the Labour Party in Abuja, calling for Abure’s sack as National Chairman of the party.

Reacting to Abure’s re-election earlier on Wednesday, Benson Upah, Spokesperson of the NLC, said, “It is an illegality, a nullity. The whole exercise was a charade! Nothing can legitimise such brazen impunity.”

Advertisement

Also, the factional chairman of the Party in Anambra State, Peter Okoye, boasted that the Nnewi national convention will not stand.

Describing the convention as a sham, Okoye queried: “This is not a convention. We are on top of the matter. It’s purely illegal. There was no ward congress, no local government congress, no state congress, and now who and who are the elected delegates that are electing the National Working Committee (NWC) members?

“The NLC was not there, TUC was not there, the owners of the party and members of the NEC and BOT members were not there either. So, who is holding the convention?”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Politics

Gov Oborevwori Emerged Unopposed as 2027 Delta APC Guber Candidate with 345,375 Affirmation Votes

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Delta State Governor, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, has emerged unopposed as governorship candidate of the All Progressive Congress (APC) following 345,375 affirmation votes from members of the party across all the wards in the state during the party’s direct primary election.

Chairman of the APC Governorship Primary Election Committee and Returning Officer, Engr. Victor Abba, declared the Governor as sole candidate after announcing the result of the affirmative primary at the collation centre in the party secretariat, Asaba, the state capital.

He said: “I, Engineer Sir Victor Abba, Chairman of the Delta Governorship Primary Election Committee and Returning Officer for the Delta State Governorship Primary Election held on the 21st day of May, 2026, hereby certify that the aspirant, Rt Hon (Elder) Sheriff Francis Oborevwori, scored 345,375 votes,” he declared.

Abba said Oborevwori,Gov Oborevwori declared unopposed with 345,375 affirmation votes as 2027 guber candidate having satisfied the party’s constitutional requirements and secured the highest number of valid votes cast, was duly returned elected as APC governorship candidate for Delta State.

Advertisement

He praised party members for their unity, maturity and peaceful conduct during the exercise, saying; “we have seen what has happened in Delta State and we are satisfied. The maturity of politics in this state is second to none.

He also commended Governor Oborevwori for infrastructural development, people-oriented programmes and governance initiatives, saying the administration had strengthened the APC’s acceptance across Delta State.

Speaking after voting in his Ward in Okpe Local Government Area, Oborevwori commended the APC leadership for conducting what he described as a transparent, peaceful and exemplary primary election.

The Governor said the large turnout across the state’s 270 wards demonstrated grassroots participation and reflected the confidence party members had in his leadership.

Advertisement

“I must sincerely appreciate our great party, the APC, for the transparent and exemplary model adopted for this primary election. It is a model worthy of emulation by other political parties,” he said.

Oborevwori said the peaceful conduct of the exercise marked a departure from previous political traditions, stressing that adherence to due process eliminated tensions often associated with party contests.

“For the first time in Delta State, our primaries were conducted peacefully without violence, crisis or loss of lives. Nobody imposed candidates on the people. The people freely chose those they wanted,” he stated.

Former Governor Senator Ifeanyi Okowa said the turnout reflected support for Governor Oborevwori’s administration, while Commissioner for Works (Rural Roads) and Public Information, Mr Charles Aniagwu, said the Governor’s emergence reflected confidence in his leadership.

Advertisement

Other party leaders, including Dr Hilary Ibegbulem, Rt. Hon. Ndudi Elumelu, Hon. Jonathan Ukodhiko, Senator Joel-Onowakpo Thomas, Hon. Francis Waive and Chief Solomon Areyenka, also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and expressed confidence in the party’s prospects ahead of the 2027 elections.

The declaration of Oborevwori as APC governorship candidate was witnessed by the Deputy Governor, Sir Monday Onyeme, Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Emomotimi Guwor, and other party leaders.

The outcome further consolidates Oborevwori’s hold on the APC structure in Delta State ahead of the 2027 general elections, with party leaders expressing confidence that his performance and growing support base would strengthen the party’s chances at the polls.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

George-Kelly Withdraws From Rivers APC Governorship Primaries After Fubara’s Decision

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A governorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State, Alabo George-Kelly, has withdrawn from the party’s forthcoming governorship primaries, pledging support for whoever emerges as the party’s candidate.

His withdrawal comes hours after Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, also announced his decision to step down from the APC governorship primary race in what observers see as part of ongoing political realignments within the party ahead of the 2027 General Elections.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, George-Kelly said his decision followed a crucial stakeholders’ meeting convened by the national leadership of the APC, where deliberations focused on the future of the party in Rivers State and the need for unity and strategic alignment.

The aspirant, who described himself as a committed member of the Rivers State Rainbow Coalition for President Bola Tinubu under the leadership of FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, said extensive consultations with members of his political team and other stakeholders informed his decision.

Advertisement

“Following that meeting, and after wide consultations with members of my political team and other critical stakeholders, I have taken the decision, in the overriding interest of party unity and in deference to the supremacy of the party, to withdraw from the forthcoming primaries,” he stated.

“Accordingly, I hereby formally announce my withdrawal from the race and pledge my unwavering support, loyalty, and cooperation to whoever emerges as the party’s candidate at the conclusion of the primaries,” he added.

The withdrawal further signals intensifying political consultations and strategic recalibrations within the Rivers APC as the party prepares for the 2027 elections.

George-Kelly said his political journey has always been guided by leadership, loyalty, and respect for constituted authority, stressing his continued commitment to the APC and President Bola Tinubu’s political project in the state.

Advertisement

“The 2027 General Elections present us with a defining opportunity, and I remain fully committed to playing my part in securing victory for our President, our party, and the good people of Rivers State,” the statement said.

He also urged his supporters and members of the coalition to remain united and continue working together for the progress of Rivers State and the APC.

Continue Reading

Politics

NDC names Egwu to head screening panel for Presidential, Governorship aspirants

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has constituted a 17-member Screening Committee for its presidential, governorship, senatorial and House of Representatives aspirants ahead of the 2027 general elections.

In a statement issued by the party’s National Secretary, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, the committee was inaugurated on Tuesday.

Former two-term Governor of Ebonyi State and ex-Senator, Sam Egwu, was named chairman of the panel, while the party’s National Legal Adviser, Reuben Egwuaba, will serve as secretary.

According to the statement, the committee comprises party leaders, professionals and members of the party’s National Working Committee.

Advertisement

Other members of the panel include Comrade Babatunde Ali as deputy chairman, Buba Galadima, Hon. Mohammed Sani Takori, Daniel Onifade, Ikeddy Isiguzo, Wole Adedayo, Dr. Osusu Osusu, Chief Asukewe Ikoawaji, Prof. Udenta Udenta, Barr. Frederick Owotorufa, Hannatu Tanko, Dogo Shammar, Sir Henry Obaze, Clement Agiagie and Barr. Fatima Musa Abba.

The party said the committee would oversee the screening of aspirants seeking to contest elective offices on the platform of the NDC, including the presidency, governorships and seats in the National Assembly.

The development is part of the party’s ongoing preparations for the next electoral cycle as it intensifies internal processes aimed at strengthening its structures nationwide.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News