Connect with us

Sports

Super Sinner Destroys Medvedev To Reach Miami Final

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Italy’s Jannik Sinner destroyed Daniil Medvedev 6-1, 6-2 in just 69 minutes on Friday to reach the final of the ATP Miami Open.

World number three Sinner will face either Germany’s Alexander Zverev or Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov in Sunday’s final and will be a clear favorite after his display of power and skill in the semi-finals.

The Italian had lost to Medvedev in the Miami final last year but beat him in the Australian Open final in January.

The outcome was never in doubt this time as Sinner utterly dominated from the outset.

Advertisement

Sinner broke Medvedev’s first service game to go 2-0 up in the opening set, pinning the Russian in the corner at the end of a long rally before blasting a winner past him.

While the 22-year-old looked fresh and fired up, blasting with power from the baseline while inventive when he came to the net, Medvedev was struggling to just hold his serve and the Italian broke again in the fourth game, taking advantage of his fourth break point.

A rattled-looking Medvedev finally held in the sixth game but Sinner served out to love to complete a first-set rout in just 33 minutes.

It was the same story in the second set, Sinner breaking to love from the start. The Russian looked dejected after he went wide on a break point to fall to 4-1 down, one of a series of unusually poorly executed shots from the 28-year-old.

Advertisement

Sinner met little resistance on his way to serving out for the match and acknowledged that his emphatic win was helped by the out of sorts nature of his opponent’s play.

“I felt great on court today. Usually the more you go on in a tournament, the more comfortable you feel and I’m very happy about today’s performance,” he said.

“I think Daniel didn’t feel this well today. He made a lot of mistakes which he usually doesn’t make, so I just took the chance. I was expecting a really tough match.”

Sinner has won five straight matches against Medvedev after having lost their first six encounters — the last of which was in the Miami final last year.

Advertisement

Sinner, who enjoyed a run of 19 wins before losing to Carlos Alcaraz in the semi-final at Indian Wells, said he is now a very different proposition than when he missed out in the Miami final.

“I’m a different player, a different person,” he said.

“Sometimes, I think back and I remember the night before the final. I couldn’t sleep, I was sweating during the night and now I handle the situation much, much better.

“I’m just excited and happy to come back and hopefully I can play some good tennis on Sunday.”

Advertisement

AFP

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Sports

EPL: Fernandes Announced Premier League Player of the Season

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Bruno Fernandes has been announcd the Premier League Player of the Season following an outstanding campaign with Manchester United.Soccer

The Portuguese midfielder, who captains the club, added the latest honour to an already impressive season after previously winning the Football Writers’ Association Men’s Player of the Year award earlier this month.

Fernandes played a crucial role in United’s strong league campaign, helping the Red Devils finish third and secure qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League.

The 31-year-old matched the Premier League record for assists in a single season after providing his 20th assist during United’s clash against Nottingham Forest last weekend.

Advertisement

In addition to his creativity, Fernandes also contributed eight league goals in 37 appearances for Manchester United this season.

No player in the Premier League created more chances than Fernandes, who recorded an impressive 132 chances — 43 more than the next closest player, Dominik Szoboszlai of Liverpool FC.

Fernandes becomes the first Manchester United player to win the prestigious award since former defender Nemanja Vidić claimed it in 2011.

The award was decided through a combination of public voting and selections made by a panel of football experts.

Advertisement

Other players shortlisted for the honour included David Raya, Gabriel Magalhães, Declan Rice, Erling Haaland, Antoine Semenyo, Igor Thiago and Morgan Gibbs-White.

Manchester United will round off their Premier League season with an away fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion FC on Sunday.

Continue Reading

Sports

Europa League: UEFA names Team of the Season [Full list]

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

UEFA on Thursday named the Europa League Team of the Season following the conclusion of the competition on Wednesday.

Recall that Aston Villa won the Europa League after beating Freiburg 3-0 in the final in Turkey.

However, UEFA’s Technical Observer Group has now selected its 2025/26 Europa League Team of the Season.

Aston Villa have four players in the official Europa League Team of the Season.

Advertisement

Here is the team in full:

Goalkeeper
Emiliano Martínez (Aston Villa)

Defenders
Victor Gómez (Braga)
Matthias Ginter (Freiburg)
Morato (Nottingham Forest)
Oscar Mingueza (Celta)

Midfielders
Maximilian Eggestein (Freiburg)
John McGinn (Aston Villa)
Morgan Rogers (Aston Villa)

Advertisement

Forwards
Antony (Real Betis)
Igor Jesus (Nottingham Forest)
Emiliano Buendía (Aston Villa)

Continue Reading

Sports

EPL: Four Arsenal super stars to play their last league game against Crystal Palace

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

No fewer than four Arsenal stars could be playing their last Premier League match for the club this weekend.

The Gunners close out their title-winning campaign when they take on Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Sunday.

Mikel Arteta’s men were confirmed champions on Tuesday night, following Manchester City’s 1-1 draw at Bournemouth.

Arsenal will now receive their trophy against Palace.

Advertisement

However, some members of the current squad may be sold when the next transfer window arrives.

Christian Norgaard could be heading out of the door, despite only joining Arsenal last summer from Brentford.

Arteta has left Norgaard out of the last two matchday squads and the Danish midfielder might have to seek new pastures.

Ben White, who is currently injured, has also been linked with Everton.

Advertisement

Viktor Gyokeres and Kai Havertz are now undoubtedly ahead of Gabriel Jesus in the pecking order and the Brazilian striker could depart in search of more playing time.

Myles Lewis-Skelly is less likely to leave than Jesus and Trossard, despite starting only four league fixtures, he has also been linked with a shock move to Manchester United.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News