Connect with us

News

El-Rufai’s son slams MDAs for frivolous spending on utensils, vehicles

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A federal lawmaker representing Kaduna North Federal Constituency, Bello El-Rufai, has criticised Ministries, Departments, and Agencies for consistently refusing to cut down on their budgets, accusing them of spending public funds on frivolous items.

In a viral video obtained by PUNCH Online on Friday, Bello El-Rufai, the son of the former Governor, Kaduna State, Nasir EL-Rufai, urged the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, to prioritise reducing the budgets of MDAs, noting that Nigerians are increasingly concerned about the yearly rise in government spending.

“Nigerians are tired of every agency buying forks and knives every year; we should show them we are serious and make these drastic cuts,” he said.

He added, “We need to cut down on costs. The recurrent expenditure issue exists in every budget. Even as a young person like myself, I see that we budget for vehicles every year, utensils every year. To open more revenue streams or block loopholes, we need to scrutinise these ministries’ budgets. If they bought vehicles last year, they should hold off because vehicles do not expire.

Advertisement

“These are the little things, Mr Speaker, that unless we start addressing, the loopholes will continue to grow.

“Since I was a boy, every year’s budget includes new computers and furniture, yet these items do not expire. We should cut them out entirely. We cannot implement a tax reform bill to strengthen the fiscal position of this country while, as leaders, we fail to cut costs.”

El-Rufai stressed that showing fiscal discipline as leaders would help restore public trust in government spending.

Advertisement

News

WATCH moment Akwa Ibom North West constituents resolve to back Tinubu in 2027

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Watch video depicting moment Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District townhall/stakeholders meeting convened by the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio in Ikot Ekpene, the people renewed their resolve to stand on the mandate of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Watch below:

Continue Reading

News

Popular gospel singer, Asu Ekiye finally opens up on his failed 28-year-old marriage

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

Popular Nigerian gospel singer Asu Ekiye has finally opened up on how his estranged wife, Kunemofa Asu, initiated the divorce proceedings that led to the dissolution of their 28-year marriage.

Ekiye, popularly known as the “Prince of the Niger Delta”, made the clarification in a statement shared on social media.

The clarification followed reactions to his earlier announcement on Thursday that his marriage to Kunemofa, which began in 1998, had ended.

Advertisement

The announcement sparked widespread reactions from fans of the award-winning singer, especially netizens, with many expressing shock at why a marriage of that length could have been salvaged.

However, following public curiosity, the singer, in a new post, clarified that his wife initiated the split and filed for divorce without a prior quarrel, and that reconciliation efforts failed.

Ekiye said his wife had expressed her desire to end the marriage, moved out of their home, and subsequently instituted divorce proceedings.

“The decision regarding the dissolution of my marriage was not one I initiated.

Advertisement

“Having done all I could to seek reconciliation, I eventually came to the difficult decision to accept the reality of the situation,” he said.

The singer said he spent about a year making efforts to reconcile with his wife and preserve the marriage, but she remained firm in her decision.

Ekiye said he decided to clarify the circumstances surrounding the divorce after receiving numerous calls and messages following his announcement about the end of the marriage.

He said he bore no bitterness or ill will towards his former wife and had chosen to approach the new phase of his life with dignity and respect for all concerned.
“I bear no bitterness or ill will toward anyone,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Navy hands nine suspected stowaways to Immigration Service

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Nigerian Navy (NN) has handed over nine suspected stowaways to the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) after rescuing them from a merchant vessel in Lagos.

The Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Beecroft effected the handover on Friday following the discovery of the suspects concealed in the propeller compartment of MT *Evgenia* two days earlier.

According to a statement by the Commander of NNS Beecroft, Commodore Aiwuyor Adams-Aliu, the suspects were found on Wednesday, August 19, and evacuated to the naval base for preliminary investigation and profiling.

He said investigations revealed that the suspects boarded the vessel while it was berthed at the Flour Mills Jetty in Apapa, allegedly intending to travel illegally to Europe.

Advertisement

The suspects were identified as Thompson Vincent, 23; Emmanuel Philip, 24; Tobi Olalekan, 32; Omotayo Adebowale, 43; Abdullahi Idowu, 21; Tunde Mustapha, 19; Jamiu Ismaila, 25; Ibrahim Alabi, 30; and Christian Kadiri, 22.

Adams-Aliu said the handover was part of ongoing collaboration among security agencies to curb illegal migration and strengthen maritime security.

He urged parents, guardians and other authority figures to discourage young people from attempting to board seagoing vessels illegally, noting that the dangers associated with the practice extended beyond Nigeria to other West African coastal states.

He added that NNS Beecroft would continue to support the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, in deploying a professional naval force to safeguard Nigeria’s maritime interests and support national security operations.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News