Connect with us

Foreign

Press freedom under threat as AP reporter barred from covering White House

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The White House blocked an Associated Press reporter from an event in the Oval Office on Tuesday because the news agency has not altered its style on the Gulf of Mexico, which U.S. President Donald Trump has ordered renamed to the Gulf of America, the news agency said.

Julie Pace, the AP’s executive editor, said the White House informed the nonprofit news agency that the AP would be blocked from the Oval Office event if the outlet did not align its editorial standards with Trump’s Jan. 20 executive order renaming the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America.

An AP reporter attempted to enter the White House event on Tuesday afternoon but was turned away. Later Tuesday night, a second AP reporter was barred from an event in the White House Diplomatic Room.

“As a global news organization, The Associated Press informs billions of people around the world every day with factual, nonpartisan journalism,” Pace said in a statement.

Advertisement

“It is alarming that the Trump administration would punish AP for its independent journalism,” Pace said. “Limiting our access to the Oval Office based on the content of AP’s speech not only severely impedes the public’s access to independent news, it plainly violates the First Amendment.”

The White House Correspondents’ Association, or WHCA, also condemned the decision as “unacceptable.”

“The White House cannot dictate how news organizations report the news,” WHCA President Eugene Daniels said in a statement.

The White House did not immediately reply to a VOA request for comment in response to the AP and WHCA statements.

Advertisement

Shortly after being inaugurated, Trump signed an executive order to rename the Gulf of Mexico and Denali, the highest peak in North America. According to his order, the Gulf of Mexico would be renamed the Gulf of America, and Denali would revert to Mount McKinley — its name before President Barack Obama changed it in 2015.

A few days later, the AP announced that the news agency would continue referring to the body of water as the Gulf of Mexico while acknowledging the new name Trump had picked. The AP said it made that decision because the gulf has carried the Gulf of Mexico name for more than 400 years and that other countries and international bodies do not need to recognize the name change.

However, since the area of the Alaskan mountain lies entirely in the United States and Trump has authority to change the name, the AP said it will use the name Mount McKinley.

Thousands of journalists and writers around the world follow the AP’s style.

Advertisement

Voice of America typically follows the AP’s style, but VOA’s standards editor announced in late January that the congressionally funded but editorially independent news outlet would begin referring to the body of water as the Gulf of America, in addition to referring to the mountain as Mount McKinley.

Foreign

Tupac Murder Trial: Witness Tells Duane Davis He Does Not Want to Send Him to Prison

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The murder trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis, who is accused of orchestrating the 1996 killing of legendary rapper Tupac Shakur, has taken an emotional turn after a former associate of Death Row Records co-founder Suge Knight appeared reluctant to provide testimony that could further implicate Davis.

James McDonald, a former associate of Knight and a former security figure at Club 662 in Las Vegas, was called to testify during the trial. However, from the beginning of his testimony, McDonald made it clear that he was uncomfortable discussing events from his past and did not want his evidence to contribute to Davis being sent to prison.

McDonald described himself as a hostile witness and told attorneys that he had only appeared in court because he had been subpoenaed. He indicated that he had moved on from the lifestyle he lived decades ago and was reluctant to revisit events connected to the violence and rivalries of the 1990s.

During questioning, McDonald became increasingly frustrated when attorneys asked him about tensions between different factions in Compton following the shooting of Tupac. He repeatedly declined to answer some questions, saying that providing certain information could hurt Davis.

Advertisement

At one point, McDonald directly addressed Davis in court and said he did not want to send him to prison, despite acknowledging that the two men did not like each other.

The exchange highlighted the difficulty prosecutors face in presenting evidence about a case that dates back nearly three decades. Several people who were connected to the events surrounding Tupac’s death have been reluctant to discuss what they knew, leaving investigators and prosecutors to rely on available testimony and other evidence.

McDonald also told the court that he had changed his life. He said he was now focused on raising his grandchildren and teaching them not to follow the lifestyle he had previously lived.

The witness acknowledged that he was aware of events and tensions that took place in the aftermath of Tupac’s shooting, but he maintained that he did not want to reopen old conflicts.

Advertisement

McDonald was also questioned about the relationship between Death Row Records figures and members of rival groups. He described the atmosphere in Compton after Tupac was shot as tense but indicated that the conflict was primarily connected to individuals rather than something he personally wanted to continue discussing.

He further rejected suggestions that former Death Row security chief Reggie Wright Jr. had coordinated Tupac’s killing, describing such a possibility as impossible. McDonald said he had known Wright for many years and did not believe he was responsible for the rapper’s death.

McDonald also confirmed that he was not present when Tupac was shot in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. He said he learned about the shooting afterward and recalled that people initially believed Tupac might survive.

The testimony comes as prosecutors attempt to establish their case against Davis, who has pleaded not guilty to the charge. Prosecutors allege that Davis played a role in organising the shooting following an earlier confrontation involving his nephew, Orlando Anderson.

Advertisement

Davis has previously acknowledged being present in the vehicle from which the shooting was carried out, but his defence has argued that statements he made about the incident were not reliable and should not be treated as an admission of guilt.

Tupac was shot in a drive-by attack in Las Vegas in September 1996 and died several days later. His death became one of the most enduring mysteries in music history, with the investigation remaining unresolved for decades.

Davis was eventually arrested and charged in connection with the case years later. His trial has now brought renewed attention to the circumstances surrounding Tupac’s death and the people who were connected to the events at the time.

McDonald’s testimony demonstrates the challenges involved in revisiting a case that has remained unresolved for almost 30 years. His reluctance to provide certain answers also reflects the complicated relationships and history surrounding the people involved.

Advertisement

The trial remains ongoing, and the allegations against Davis have not been established as fact. The court will ultimately determine whether the prosecution has presented sufficient evidence to prove the charge against him.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Ship Hit By Unknown Projectile While Leaving Strait Of Hormuz

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A ship hit by an unknown projectile while leaving the Strait of Hormuz has suffered damage to its engine room, with a crew member reported as a casualty, maritime authorities said on Tuesday.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said the incident occurred as the vessel was transiting outbound through the strategic waterway off the coast of Oman.

The vessel’s engine room was damaged in the attack, while the Omani coastguard moved to assist the remaining crew members. No environmental impact has been reported.

The identity of the vessel, the type of projectile used and the group responsible for the attack have not been established.

Advertisement

According to report, investigations are ongoing.

UKMTO advised commercial vessels operating in the area to exercise caution and report any suspicious activity.

The incident comes amid heightened tensions between the United States and Iran and a severe disruption to commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Shipping data showed only six commodity vessels crossed the waterway on Monday, compared with a 10-day average of 11. No very large crude carriers or liquefied natural gas tankers were recorded crossing on Monday.

Advertisement

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy routes, making the latest attack a fresh concern for global oil supplies and shipping.

The incident involving the ship hit by the unknown projectile also comes after the expiration of a 60-day US-Iran negotiation window without a broader peace agreement, leaving tensions over the strategic waterway unresolved.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Sad: Venezuela earthquake death toll hits 6,438

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

Twin earthquakes that struck Venezuela in June killed 6,438 people, according to the latest official death toll released Monday.

Authorities say that at least 60,000 homes were affected in some way, with 24,000 being left uninhabitable.

Thousands of Venezuelan residents remain in temporary camps, where conditions are precarious.

Advertisement

In Caracas this weekend, heavy rain destroyed some of the tents housing victims.

Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government has promised housing for those affected.

To date, 335 homes have been made available out of the 4,000 promised by the end of the year.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News