Connect with us

Metro

2 die, 14 rescued in Lagos building collapse

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Two persons were confirmed dead yesterday, while 14 others were rescued alive from the rubble after a three-storey building with a penthouse under construction collapsed, on Oriwu Street, in Lekki area of Lagos.

But the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, said six persons were rescued.
The victims were labourers working at the site located at House 29, Oriwu Street.

The cause of the collapse could not be immediately ascertained, but the report said it caved in about 4 pm.
The two bodies were recovered at about 7.45 pm. Spokesman for the Lagos State Police Command, Benjamin Hudenyin, who confirmed the incident, said operatives of the command were mobilised to the scene immediately it received the information.

He said, “Two persons died. A total of 14 persons have so far been rescued and taken to Lagos Island General Hospital for treatment. Operatives of the Command remain on ground to provide security for the ongoing rescue operation”.

Advertisement

On his part, Permanent Secretary, LASEMA, Dr. Olufemi Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu, explained that “Following distress calls received via the CRM on the 767/112 Emergency Toll-Free Lines today, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, activated the State’s Emergency Response Plans and Response Team from its Lekki and Cappa Bases. Upon arrival at the incident scene, LASEMA’s Shark and Eagle Response Teams discovered that a three-storey building under construction had collapsed at the aforementioned location. The immediate cause of the incident is yet to be ascertained.

“So far, two adult males have been extricated from the rubble of the collapsed building. Six seriously injured adult males were rescued and were administered immediate medical care by the LRU Pre-Hospital Care Unit, before being transported to Marina General Hospital for further treatment.

“LASEMA Response Teams have commenced Search and Rescue Operation. LRT is coordinating other common stakeholders for effective response at the incident scene. The agency’s heavy duty equipment (Excavator) was deployed to the incident scene and is still in operation. Search and Rescue Operation is still ongoing.”

Rescue operators at the scene included the Police, LASEMA Response Team, LRT. Lagos State Building Control Agency, LASBCA, Rapid Response Squad, Lagos State Ambulance Service, LASAMBUS, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, among others.

Advertisement

Metro

Sad! Four family members die after consuming ‘amala’ in Kogi

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Grief has enveloped Ihima community in Okehi Local Government Area after four members of the same family died hours after eating a meal of amala.

In a chilling detail, the family’s dog also died after consuming leftovers from the same meal.

—Govt Orders Immediate Investigation—

The Kogi State Government has moved to unravel what happened.

Advertisement

In a statement on Saturday, Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, said Governor Ahmed Ododo has directed the Commissioner for Health to launch a full investigation.

“The Chief Servant is deeply concerned by this tragic incident and has directed the Commissioner for Health to immediately investigate the circumstances surrounding the deaths, with particular attention to the possibility of food poisoning or food contamination,” Fanwo said.

According to the governor’s directive:

– Investigators must establish the facts around the deaths
– Determine whether the food consumed was contaminated
– Examine whether any other medical or environmental factor contributed
– Ensure “relevant samples and available evidence” are tested under standard public health procedures

Advertisement

—Community In Shock—

Residents of Ihima described the incident as devastating. The fact that the family dog also died after eating the same amala has heightened fears of possible food poisoning or contamination.

Health officials are expected to visit the home, collect food samples, and interview neighbours as part of the probe.

As of press time, the identities of the victims had not been officially released by the state government.

Advertisement

Governor Ododo has sympathised with the bereaved family and assured residents that the findings of the investigation will be made public.

Continue Reading

Metro

Fear engulfs ISWAP leadership as military neutralize senior commander

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

Anxiety has reportedly spread through the leadership of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) following the elimination of a senior commander identified as WAL-GEGE by the Nigerian Air Force Component of Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK) around the Gargash axis of Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that WAL-GEGE was eliminated while riding a motorcycle along the main route near the terrorists’ Markaz, close to the Gargash hideout.

The strike, according to the sources, was conducted as part of ongoing intelligence-led air operations aimed at disrupting the movement and leadership structure of ISWAP elements operating around the Dikwa axis.

Sources said the elimination has generated concern within the terrorist group, particularly because the commander was reportedly moving through an area considered to be under the group’s control.

Advertisement

The incident has reportedly triggered an internal investigation among ISWAP elements, with members accusing unidentified insiders of leaking information about the commander’s movement to the military.

According to intelligence gathered by Zagazola Makama, the terrorists have become increasingly suspicious of information leaks within their ranks and are reportedly reviewing their communication and movement procedures following the strike.

The sources said the development has also prompted ISWAP elements to consider restricting the use of mobile phones among field commanders and fighters for fear that their movements could be detected through communications or other intelligence capabilities.

The reaction reflects the growing pressure on the terrorist group as Nigerian security forces intensify surveillance and precision operations against its commanders, logistics networks and hideouts across the Lake Chad Basin.

Advertisement

WAL-GEGE’s elimination is particularly significant because the loss of senior field commanders can disrupt the coordination of fighters, movement of logistics and execution of attacks.

Military operations in the Dikwa axis have increasingly focused on identifying terrorist concentrations and disrupting their freedom of movement before they can launch attacks against troops or vulnerable communities.

The development also highlights the importance of intelligence gathering in the counter-insurgency campaign.

While terrorist groups frequently attempt to conceal their movements through motorcycles, couriers and other forms of communication, security forces continue to employ multiple intelligence sources to identify and track key operatives.

Advertisement

The reported decision by ISWAP elements to reduce or abandon mobile-phone use could therefore complicate their internal communications and command-and-control arrangements.

However, security sources cautioned that the terrorists remain capable of adapting their tactics and could resort to alternative methods of communication and movement.

The elimination of WAL-GEGE comes amid sustained military pressure against ISWAP and other terrorist elements operating in Borno State, with troops and the Nigerian Air Force maintaining operations designed to degrade their leadership, logistics and operational capabilities.

The military has continued to combine intelligence-driven air operations with ground clearance and surveillance missions to prevent terrorists from establishing secure bases and freedom of movement.

Advertisement

Although the full operational impact of WAL-GEGE’s elimination is yet to be established, the reported reaction within ISWAP indicates that the group considers the loss of senior commanders a serious security setback.

The emerging internal suspicion over possible information leaks could further undermine trust within the terrorist network and force commanders to adopt more restrictive movement and communication procedures.

Continue Reading

Metro

40 Bodies Recovered, Dozens Missing After Boat Sinks In Sokoto

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

No fewer than 40 bodies have been recovered while over a dozen people are still missing after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, on Thursday.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed the incident, saying emergency responders had been deployed to the community to assess the situation and determine the full number of casualties.

The head of NEMA’s Sokoto Operations Office, Alhaji Tukur Abubakar, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview with LEADERSHIP in Sokoto.

“Yes, it is true that the boat has unfortunately capsized and there are reported fatalities,” he said.

Advertisement

According to Abubakar, the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms when the boat went down.

He said NEMA officials were on their way to Gorau alongside officials of the Sokoto State Government, the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) and other emergency responders.

“I am with officials of the Sokoto State Government, the National Inland Waterways Authority, and other emergency responders. So, you will get the details of the disaster much later today,” he added.

A local journalist who witnessed the incident, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after departure.

Advertisement

He said about 40 bodies had so far been recovered, while six people, including the village head, were rescued.

Most of those on board were reportedly children between the ages of 10 and 15, according to eyewitness accounts.

The latest incident adds to the growing number of boat mishaps across Nigeria, particularly during the rainy season, which have resulted in numerous deaths and injuries.

Safety experts and emergency agencies have repeatedly raised concerns over overcrowding, inadequate use of life jackets and weak regulation of inland water transportation in many riverine communities.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News