News
Send Your Kid To School or get jailed – Gombe govt cautions parents
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/Screenshot_20250922-184935.jpg&description=Send Your Kid To School or get jailed – Gombe govt cautions parents', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/Screenshot_20250922-184935.jpg&description=Send Your Kid To School or get jailed – Gombe govt cautions parents', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
By Kayode Sanni-Arewa
The Gombe State government says it would send parents and guardians to jail for not sending their children to schools.
Babaji Babadidi, Chairman, Gombe State Universal Basic Education Board, SUBEB, said this on Monday at the inauguration of the 2025/2026 School Enrolment Campaign at Amada in Akko Local Government Area of the state.
He said that defaulting parents could face a two-month jail term under Section 19(2) of the SUBEB Amendment Law 2021.
Babadidi said the measure was necessary to ensure that every child has access to quality basic education.
“Every parent should ensure that his child or ward attends and completes primary, junior and senior secondary education.
“Any parent, who contravene Section 19(2) of the law commits an offence and is liable, upon conviction, to pay a fine or serve a one-month prison sentence.
“Subsequent convictions also attract a substantial fine or imprisonment for a term of two months,” he said.
Babadidi said prior to this enrolment campaign, the state government adopted a carrot approach by providing free education.
“However, if we fail to meet our target of enrolling 400,000 students into primary schools this session, we will revert to the stick approach by enforcing the law.”
The Commissioner for Education, Prof. Aishatu Maigari, said the state has over 700,000 out-of-school children.
According to Maigari, the North-East region accounts for 15 per cent of Nigeria’s 18.2 million out-of-school children.
“We cannot sit and fold our arms while our children remain out-of-school. We will ensure every child is enrolled. Every child will receive quality education, and also learn a trade, which does not necessarily mean working for the government.
“An educated person can become an employer of labour through skills and entrepreneurship acquired in school,” she said.
News
Nigeria Pushes Port Expansion Drive to Dominate Regional Trade – Oyetola
Nigeria Pushes Port Expansion Drive to Dominate Regional Trade – Oyetola
By Gloria Ikibah
Nigeria has set its sights on becoming the dominant trade and logistics hub in West and Central Africa, with plans underway to expand port capacity and overhaul key aspects of the maritime sector.
The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Dr Adegboyega Oyetola, outlined the government’s direction while declaring open the mid-year session of the Board of Directors of the Port Management Association of West and Central Africa (PMAWCA) in Victoria Island, Lagos, with the theme, “Ports of the Future: Combining Logistical Resilience with Inclusive Community Development”, on Monday in Lagos.
The Minister said fresh approvals had been granted for new deep seaports across the country, aimed at boosting infrastructure and strengthening supply chains.
He said: “Approvals have therefore been granted for the development of additional deep seaports across the country to complement existing infrastructure, strengthen supply chain resilience, and reinforce Nigeria’s position as the preferred maritime and logistics hub for West and Central Africa”.
Dr. Oyetola also pointed to ongoing efforts by the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to modernise port operations through infrastructure upgrades, digital systems and improved efficiency.
According to him, coordinated policies and closer collaboration among agencies have eased longstanding challenges at the ports.
The minister who highlighted the National Single Window project as a key reform designed to simplify cargo clearance by integrating government processes digitally, further disclosed that existing ports would be upgraded, including the deepening of channels to accommodate larger vessels.
“These efforts have contributed to improved cargo evacuation, reduced vessel waiting time, greater operational efficiency, and a more predictable business environment for port users and investors.
“These upgrades are critical to ensuring that our ports remain globally competitive and capable of supporting larger volumes of trade in the years ahead”,he added.
On security, Dr Oyetola said the Deep Blue Project had successfully tackled piracy in Nigerian waters and significantly curtailed maritime crime across the Gulf of Guinea, helping to restore investor confidence in the region.
He therefore urged participants at the conference to focus on initiatives that would “strengthen logistical resilience in port operations and regional supply chains,” while also promoting sustainability, innovation and inclusive growth tied to maritime activities.
In his remarks, Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority and President of PMAWCA, Dr Abubakar Dantsoho, said the sub-region was experiencing renewed momentum in port development, with investments exceeding 27 billion dollars either underway or recently announced.
He listed several major projects, including the Simandou-Morebaya Deep Sea Port in Guinea, the Port San Pedro project in Côte d’Ivoire, the Lekki Deep Sea Port in Lagos, as well as developments in Ghana and Senegal.
He also noted continued investment in Nigeria’s Apapa and Tin Can Island ports, alongside a significant commitment from APM Terminals.
Dantsoho said ports must evolve beyond their traditional function as transit points for cargo and play a broader role in advancing the blue economy.
According to him, “the future of the sector lies in areas such as renewable marine energy, aquaculture, sustainable fisheries, coastal tourism and marine biotechnology”.
The event, which runs from 18 to 20 May 2026, drew a wide range of participants, including the Governor of Taraba State, Dr Kefas Agbu, representatives of the Lagos State Government, business leaders such as Alhaji Aliko Dangote, and senior presidential advisers among others.
News
Many headaches of El-rufai as DSS re-arraigns ex-gov in Abuja for alleged phone tapping of NSA
Ex-Kaduna State Governor Nasir el-Rufai was re-arraigned on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services for allegations of illegally tapping the phone of the National Security Adviser.
He arrived at the court around 8:55 a.m. under heavy security.
DSS operatives cordoned off the complex and restricted access, temporarily blocking journalists, court staff, and the public from entering.
The move sparked a brief protest at the gate.
Activist and former AAC presidential candidate Omoyele Sowore led the protest, arguing that “el-Rufai’s arraignment should not deny Nigerians access to a public facility.”
A source at the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission said DSS operatives picked el-Rufai up from its facility at 7:00 a.m. ahead of the arraignment.
“The case is not ours. DSS operatives came to pick him up around 7:00 a.m. for arraignment,” the source said.
The re-arraignment relates to claims that el-Rufai authorised or was involved in tapping the NSA’s phone.
The case has added to ongoing political and legal tensions around the former governor.
News
Just in: Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail With Hard Conditions
The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in the sum of N100 million in his trial over alleged breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, while delivering ruling in a bail application on Monday, imposed a series of stringent conditions El-Rufai must meet before being released on bail.
The ex-governor is to provide one surety in like sum. The court ordered that the surety must reside in either Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja and must deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property at the court registry.
The surety is also required to be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 17 and must provide evidence of salary payments for at least three months, authenticated by a letter from the manager of the bank within the jurisdiction of the court.
The court further ordered the surety to depose to an affidavit of means, enter into a bail bond and submit a recent passport photograph to the court registry.
As part of the bail conditions, El-Rufai is to deposit all valid international passports with the court.
The court also directed that a verification letter from the surety’s immediate department be submitted, alongside a tax clearance certificate covering the last six months.
Justice Abdulmalik further ordered the defendant to report to the headquarters of the Department of State Services, DSS, every last Friday of the month by 10 a.m. to sign an attendance register, pending the determination of the case.
The judge warned that failure to comply would lead to an automatic revocation of the bail.
The court additionally directed El-Rufai to submit a letter of attestation from the Chairman of the Kaduna Traditional Council.
The court equally ordered an accelerated trial of the charge brought against El-Rufai by the Nigerian government.
-
News19 hours agoDOCUMENTS: Ward Collated Results Show Prof Ihonvbere Won APC Reps Primaries
-
News18 hours agoFull list: Five Serving APC HoR Members Lose Return Tickets In Cross River
-
Metro10 hours agoDriver Kills Police Officer On Lagos Third Mainland Bridge
-
News24 hours agoFacts they never told you: ADSC boss, Oluwafemi unveils historical research on crime, drugs, organised violence in South Africa
-
News21 hours agoDekor, Amaewhule, Others Win APC Reps Primaries In Rivers
-
News20 hours agoAfrica’s Unbroken Stand: 53 Nations, One Truth and the Futility of Taiwan’s Diplomatic Illusions
-
News10 hours agoAPC returns 20 Kano Reps through consensus, holds four contested primaries
-
Economy10 hours agoCBN Reforms Drive FX Inflows To $112b, Investors’ Confidence Rises
