News
Zulum vows rescue of abducted Schoolchildren on visit to communities
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/images-2024-09-14T172300.719.jpeg&description=Zulum vows rescue of abducted Schoolchildren on visit to communities', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/images-2024-09-14T172300.719.jpeg&description=Zulum vows rescue of abducted Schoolchildren on visit to communities', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, on Tuesday visited Uba town in Askira/Uba Local Government Area to sympathise with families of schoolchildren abducted by suspected insurgents in Mussa community, assuring residents that efforts were being intensified to secure their safe release.
The governor, who met with parents of the victims at the palace of the Emir of Uba, expressed condolences to the emirate and described the incident as unfortunate and painful.
“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum said.
He assured the residents that the Federal Government, security agencies and the Borno State Government were working closely to ensure the rescue of the abducted children.
“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” the governor added.
Zulum commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive steps to contain the situation, disclosing that senior security officers, including the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer and Divisional Police Officer, had been deployed to the area to strengthen security operations.
He further pledged to reinforce security architecture in Askira, Uba and surrounding communities to prevent a recurrence of such attacks.
“We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira, Uba and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he stated.
The governor also appealed to the abductors to release the children, describing them as innocent minors who deserve parental care and protection.
He urged residents of the area and the people of Borno State to continue praying for peace and security, particularly during the first 10 days of the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah.
Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II, disclosed that 48 persons were abducted during the attack on Mussa community on Friday, May 15, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students and five other residents.
The monarch commended the governor for his continued support to communities affected by insecurity and his commitment to restoring peace in the state.
A community representative from Mussa, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, also appreciated the governor for the visit and acknowledged the deployment of additional security personnel to the area.
Meanwhile, Governor Babagana Umara Zulum also visited Chibok town to sympathise with communities affected by recent attacks in parts of Chibok Local Government Area.
Addressing district heads, village heads and other stakeholders, Zulum described the attacks, which reportedly claimed several lives and injured many others, as tragic and unacceptable.
“I purposely came to Chibok to sympathise with you over the recent attacks in some parts of the local government which claimed many lives and left others injured,” he said.
The governor assured residents that government and security agencies were taking steps to prevent further attacks through the deployment of additional troops and reinforcement of security operations.
He urged the people to remain calm and law-abiding while assuring them of government’s commitment to restoring normalcy in the affected communities.
Speaking on behalf of the affected communities, the District Head of Garu, Engr. Zannah Madu, thanked the governor for the visit and acknowledged ongoing government interventions aimed at tackling insecurity in the area.
Governor Zulum was accompanied on the visits by the member representing Chibok/Damboa/Gwoza Federal Constituency, Hon. Ahmed Jaha, alongside senior government officials and security aides.
News
Flood disrupts human and vehicular movement in Edo
Vehicular and pedestrian movement was disrupted on Tuesday after heavy rainfall caused flooding around the Tomline area along Lagos Road in Benin, Edo State.
The rain, which began about midday, caused serious gridlock as motorists were confined to using one of the four lanes leading to the Uselu and University of Benin axis.
Some motorists had to turn back as they feared that their vehicles could break down in the deluge.
However, commercial bus drivers navigated the flood as they were bent on ensuring that nothing disrupted their daily income.
Also, most of the businesses around the area were closed, while owners were seen standing nearby.
A commercial bus driver, Rueben Osas, said that he had no choice but to continue working in the hope that his vehicle would withstand the flood.
He added, “There is nothing we can do than to continue with our work and hope that our vehicles do not break down. However, the state government can help fix the road so that this yearly flooding in this area will become a thing of the past.”
Another person, who gave his name as John, said that the flooding, which is a yearly occurrence, has become an embarrassment to the state.
He said that relocating from the area remained the best option but added that the economy has impacted his business negatively.
He called on the state governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, to extend the repair work he is carrying out to the area, which he said is in dire need of attention.
His words: “It has become a yearly problem. It hampers our businesses, and one can only hope that the Governor will also look at repairing the road just like he is doing on Sapele Road.”
News
NESREA Shuts Kano Rice Plant Over Environmental Violations
The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) has sealed off a rice processing facility in Kano State, Fortune Rice Mills Limited, over alleged violations of environmental regulations relating to air pollution and offensive emissions.
The enforcement action, carried out on Monday, was led by the agency’s North-West Zonal Director, Dr. Mudashiru Raheem, following investigations into public complaints against the company.
According to NESREA, residents had raised concerns over persistent dust emissions and offensive odour emanating from the facility despite earlier compliance notices issued to the company.
The agency said investigations established that the rice mill violated provisions of the National Environmental (Air Quality Control) Regulations 2014 as well as the National Environmental (Food, Beverages and Tobacco Sector) Regulations 2023, prompting the sealing of the plant.
Director-General of National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency, Innocent Barikor, who authorised the shutdown, condemned what he described as the “reckless attitude” of some industrial facilities towards public health and environmental safety.
Barikor stressed that economic interests must not come at the expense of citizens’ wellbeing and environmental sustainability, warning that the agency would continue to enforce compliance with environmental laws across the country.
“The health of citizens and the environment must not be sacrificed on the altar of economic gain,” he said.
He also called on Nigerians to take greater responsibility for environmental protection by reporting environmental infractions and pollution incidents to the agency for prompt action.
The latest enforcement underscores renewed regulatory scrutiny on industrial operators amid growing concerns over environmental pollution and public health risks in several parts of the country.
News
How El-Rufai Revoked Gowon’s Abuja Land — Bishop Kukah
The Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Matthew Hassan Kukah, has revealed how a plot of land allocated to former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, in Abuja, was revoked during the tenure of former Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nasir El-Rufai.
Kukah made the revelation on Tuesday in Abuja while reviewing Gowon’s autobiography, ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance’, published by Havilah Group.
Speaking at the event, the cleric recounted some of the hardships Gowon endured after he was overthrown in the 1975 military coup and subsequently went into exile in the United Kingdom.
According to Kukah, Gowon returned to Nigeria without owning any property in Abuja and only secured a plot of land after the intervention of senior military officers, including former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd).
“He didn’t have a plot of land. And when he came back, it was just out of pity, let me put it that way, that General Babangida agreed. Finally, they named one crescent after him, and after the crescent, they now gave him a plot of land, his first plot of land in Abuja,” Kukah said.
The Catholic bishop explained that Gowon had already mobilised resources and commenced development on the property before the allocation was revoked under El-Rufai’s administration as FCT minister.
“He mobilised resources to try and start building. He begins to build. Then El-Rufai, who was minister of the FCT, revoked the land,” Kukah stated.
Kukah, however, disclosed that the intervention of retired General Theophilus Danjuma and other influential figures eventually helped Gowon recover the property.
The cleric described Gowon’s autobiography as a detailed account of Nigeria’s turbulent political history, noting that the nearly 900-page memoir was divided into 36 chapters covering military coups, exile, governance and personal struggles.
He also disclosed that much of Gowon’s personal records and archives were destroyed in separate fire incidents in Bakori and Kaduna, forcing the former military ruler to rely heavily on memory while writing the book.
“It’s important to underscore the fact that whatever you read in the book is the result of what the author was able to recall,” Kukah said.
“You will find in the book evidence of excellent memory and details of things.”
Kukah further highlighted revelations contained in the memoir regarding Gowon’s relationship with former President Olusegun Obasanjo, whom Gowon reportedly described as his “informal guardian angel.”
Quoting from the book, Kukah said Gowon wrote that he trusted Obasanjo “more than any other soldier.”
The bishop also referenced recollections by a former Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters on debates within the military over whether Gowon should be allowed to return to Nigeria after years in exile.
According to Kukah, some officials feared political backlash if news of Gowon’s planned return became public.
Beyond politics, the bishop praised Gowon’s wife, Mrs Victoria Gowon, describing her as “the shield, the diplomat, who wore the trousers in the house.”
He recounted how the Gowon family faced severe hardship while living in exile in the United Kingdom, with the former Head of State reportedly struggling to secure employment or even open a bank account.
Kukah said Victoria Gowon sustained the family by sewing bed sheets and making pillows for sale.
“He himself said in the book that he became what he called a kept man because she was the one looking after everything in the house,” the bishop noted.
The cleric further alleged that a domestic worker sent to assist the family by Nigerian officials was later discovered to be spying on them.
“At the end of the day, the poor man could not find anything to report back home,” Kukah added.
Gowon ruled Nigeria from 1966 to 1975 and led the country through the Nigerian civil war. His administration later introduced the policy of “No victor, No vanquished” and established the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme as part of post-war reconciliation efforts.
-
News15 hours ago2027: I didn’t purchase ADC presidential form to be VP – Amaechi
-
News17 hours ago2027 Edo South: Grateful Ogbeide-Ihama thanks Senatorial District says “the journey forward begins together “
-
News15 hours agoLamentations of Desmond Elliot, says “I had no hand in Obasa’s impeachment”
-
News18 hours agoKilling of Oyo Teacher: Obi Demands Accountability, says Nigeria fast losing its humanity
-
News18 hours agoFood inflation spikes above 20% in 11 states
-
News14 hours agoWike Commends Quality, Speed of Abuja Projects, Says Satellite Towns Must Feel Impact of Development(Photos)
-
News21 hours agoAnger as Kano teacher r*pes four siblings aged between 4 to 7
-
Opinion14 hours agoInconclusive APC Primary in Ekiti North I: Stakeholders Await Declaration as Incumbent Rotimi Holds Decisive Margin
