Connect with us

Foreign

Death Toll From Venezuela Quakes Jumps To 188, Over 1,500 Injured

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The death toll from Venezuela’s devastating earthquakes has risen to at least 188, with 971 people injured, National Assembly chief Jorge Rodriguez, said on Thursday.

Interim president Delcy Rodriguez had earlier said that round 30 aftershocks have been recorded following the two strongest quakes on Wednesday.

Authorities initially reported 32 dead and more than 700 injured.

The earthquakes of magnitude 7.2 and 7.5 struck the same area of Venezuela on Wednesday, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), causing buildings in the capital to crumble and forcing the closure of the country’s main airport.

Advertisement

US President Donald Trump said late Wednesday that “the two major earthquakes that just hit the great people of Venezuela are both massive in scale and have left a devastating number of deaths.”

“The U.S.A. stands ready, willing, and able to help! I have instructed all agencies of our government to get ready to move quickly,” the American president wrote on his Truth Social platform.

An AFP journalist saw a 22-story building completely destroyed in the capital’s Altamira neighborhood, where people cried out relatives’ names as volunteers climbed over the rubble.

“We need flashlights,” one of them said.

Advertisement

The first quake, with an epicenter 21 kilometers (13 miles) west of the coastal town of Moron, occurred at 2204 GMT, USGS said. Within a minute, a 7.5-magnitude quake struck about 45 kilometers away.

“This earthquake was the second event in a doublet. This magnitude 7.5 mainshock was preceded by 39 seconds by a 7.2 foreshock,” USGS said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Foreign

Tupac Murder Trial: Witness Tells Duane Davis He Does Not Want to Send Him to Prison

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The murder trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis, who is accused of orchestrating the 1996 killing of legendary rapper Tupac Shakur, has taken an emotional turn after a former associate of Death Row Records co-founder Suge Knight appeared reluctant to provide testimony that could further implicate Davis.

James McDonald, a former associate of Knight and a former security figure at Club 662 in Las Vegas, was called to testify during the trial. However, from the beginning of his testimony, McDonald made it clear that he was uncomfortable discussing events from his past and did not want his evidence to contribute to Davis being sent to prison.

McDonald described himself as a hostile witness and told attorneys that he had only appeared in court because he had been subpoenaed. He indicated that he had moved on from the lifestyle he lived decades ago and was reluctant to revisit events connected to the violence and rivalries of the 1990s.

During questioning, McDonald became increasingly frustrated when attorneys asked him about tensions between different factions in Compton following the shooting of Tupac. He repeatedly declined to answer some questions, saying that providing certain information could hurt Davis.

Advertisement

At one point, McDonald directly addressed Davis in court and said he did not want to send him to prison, despite acknowledging that the two men did not like each other.

The exchange highlighted the difficulty prosecutors face in presenting evidence about a case that dates back nearly three decades. Several people who were connected to the events surrounding Tupac’s death have been reluctant to discuss what they knew, leaving investigators and prosecutors to rely on available testimony and other evidence.

McDonald also told the court that he had changed his life. He said he was now focused on raising his grandchildren and teaching them not to follow the lifestyle he had previously lived.

The witness acknowledged that he was aware of events and tensions that took place in the aftermath of Tupac’s shooting, but he maintained that he did not want to reopen old conflicts.

Advertisement

McDonald was also questioned about the relationship between Death Row Records figures and members of rival groups. He described the atmosphere in Compton after Tupac was shot as tense but indicated that the conflict was primarily connected to individuals rather than something he personally wanted to continue discussing.

He further rejected suggestions that former Death Row security chief Reggie Wright Jr. had coordinated Tupac’s killing, describing such a possibility as impossible. McDonald said he had known Wright for many years and did not believe he was responsible for the rapper’s death.

McDonald also confirmed that he was not present when Tupac was shot in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. He said he learned about the shooting afterward and recalled that people initially believed Tupac might survive.

The testimony comes as prosecutors attempt to establish their case against Davis, who has pleaded not guilty to the charge. Prosecutors allege that Davis played a role in organising the shooting following an earlier confrontation involving his nephew, Orlando Anderson.

Advertisement

Davis has previously acknowledged being present in the vehicle from which the shooting was carried out, but his defence has argued that statements he made about the incident were not reliable and should not be treated as an admission of guilt.

Tupac was shot in a drive-by attack in Las Vegas in September 1996 and died several days later. His death became one of the most enduring mysteries in music history, with the investigation remaining unresolved for decades.

Davis was eventually arrested and charged in connection with the case years later. His trial has now brought renewed attention to the circumstances surrounding Tupac’s death and the people who were connected to the events at the time.

McDonald’s testimony demonstrates the challenges involved in revisiting a case that has remained unresolved for almost 30 years. His reluctance to provide certain answers also reflects the complicated relationships and history surrounding the people involved.

Advertisement

The trial remains ongoing, and the allegations against Davis have not been established as fact. The court will ultimately determine whether the prosecution has presented sufficient evidence to prove the charge against him.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Ship Hit By Unknown Projectile While Leaving Strait Of Hormuz

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

A ship hit by an unknown projectile while leaving the Strait of Hormuz has suffered damage to its engine room, with a crew member reported as a casualty, maritime authorities said on Tuesday.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said the incident occurred as the vessel was transiting outbound through the strategic waterway off the coast of Oman.

The vessel’s engine room was damaged in the attack, while the Omani coastguard moved to assist the remaining crew members. No environmental impact has been reported.

The identity of the vessel, the type of projectile used and the group responsible for the attack have not been established.

Advertisement

According to report, investigations are ongoing.

UKMTO advised commercial vessels operating in the area to exercise caution and report any suspicious activity.

The incident comes amid heightened tensions between the United States and Iran and a severe disruption to commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

Shipping data showed only six commodity vessels crossed the waterway on Monday, compared with a 10-day average of 11. No very large crude carriers or liquefied natural gas tankers were recorded crossing on Monday.

Advertisement

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy routes, making the latest attack a fresh concern for global oil supplies and shipping.

The incident involving the ship hit by the unknown projectile also comes after the expiration of a 60-day US-Iran negotiation window without a broader peace agreement, leaving tensions over the strategic waterway unresolved.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Sad: Venezuela earthquake death toll hits 6,438

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

 

Twin earthquakes that struck Venezuela in June killed 6,438 people, according to the latest official death toll released Monday.

Authorities say that at least 60,000 homes were affected in some way, with 24,000 being left uninhabitable.

Thousands of Venezuelan residents remain in temporary camps, where conditions are precarious.

Advertisement

In Caracas this weekend, heavy rain destroyed some of the tents housing victims.

Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government has promised housing for those affected.

To date, 335 homes have been made available out of the 4,000 promised by the end of the year.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News