Connect with us

Metro

Police raid criminal hideouts in Asaba, arrest 202 suspects

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

At least 202 suspects have been arrested during an intelligence-led raid on identified criminal hideouts across Asaba metropolis in Delta State.

The suspects, comprising 102 males and 100 females, were arrested for offences bordering on operating brothels, possession and sale of suspected illicit drugs, and other related crimes.

During the operation, police also impounded five vehicles, 10 tricycles and 10 motorcycles for violating traffic regulations, the state government’s restriction on tricycle operations and the ban on motorcycles in designated areas.

According to a statement issued on Sunday by the Delta State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bright Edafe, the operation was carried out on Saturday, July 4, 2026, under the leadership of the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the Department of Operations, alongside other officers of the command.

Advertisement

Edafe said the operation followed credible intelligence generated by the State Intelligence Department (SID), leading operatives to raid identified black spots, brothels and suspected illicit drug dens within the state capital.

Reacting to the operation, the Commissioner of Police, CP Olufemi Oyeniyi, reaffirmed the command’s commitment to intelligence-led policing and sustained enforcement operations against all forms of criminality.

He assured residents that the command would continue to deny criminal elements the space to operate while urging members of the public to remain vigilant and provide the police with credible and timely information.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Metro

40 Bodies Recovered, Dozens Missing After Boat Sinks In Sokoto

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

No fewer than 40 bodies have been recovered while over a dozen people are still missing after a boat carrying farmers to their rice farms capsized in Gorau town, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, on Thursday.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed the incident, saying emergency responders had been deployed to the community to assess the situation and determine the full number of casualties.

The head of NEMA’s Sokoto Operations Office, Alhaji Tukur Abubakar, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview with LEADERSHIP in Sokoto.

“Yes, it is true that the boat has unfortunately capsized and there are reported fatalities,” he said.

Advertisement

According to Abubakar, the victims were crossing a stream to access their farms when the boat went down.

He said NEMA officials were on their way to Gorau alongside officials of the Sokoto State Government, the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) and other emergency responders.

“I am with officials of the Sokoto State Government, the National Inland Waterways Authority, and other emergency responders. So, you will get the details of the disaster much later today,” he added.

A local journalist who witnessed the incident, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, said more than 70 people were on the boat when it capsized shortly after departure.

Advertisement

He said about 40 bodies had so far been recovered, while six people, including the village head, were rescued.

Most of those on board were reportedly children between the ages of 10 and 15, according to eyewitness accounts.

The latest incident adds to the growing number of boat mishaps across Nigeria, particularly during the rainy season, which have resulted in numerous deaths and injuries.

Safety experts and emergency agencies have repeatedly raised concerns over overcrowding, inadequate use of life jackets and weak regulation of inland water transportation in many riverine communities.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Police probe attack, burning of Rivers ADC member’s home

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Rivers State Police Command has launched an investigation into the attack on the family residence of a member of the African Democratic Congress, Isaiah Thomas, in Omuoko village, Aluu, Ikwerre Local Government Area of the state.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Blessing Agabe, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on Thursday, saying the command was investigating the cause of the fire and the alleged attack.

“Yes. Investigation is ongoing to ascertain the cause of the fire and alleged attack in that community,” Agabe, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, stated.

It was gathered that more than five armed men stormed the community early Wednesday and headed straight to Thomas’ family residence, demanding to see him. He was, however, not at home.

Advertisement

Angered by his absence, the assailants reportedly ransacked the residence and looted property belonging to the family and tenants before setting the building ablaze and fleeing the scene.

The incident occurred barely 24 hours after campaigns officially opened for the presidential and National Assembly elections.

Speaking to journalists, Thomas’ mother, Uchechi, alleged that the attackers arrived in large numbers, armed with guns, and set some buildings within the family compound on fire.

She said household property was destroyed during the attack, adding that the assailants were looking for her son, who had hosted a meeting of ADC members at the family compound the previous day.

Advertisement

Although she said she did not know the identities of the attackers, Thomas stated, “They asked me to tell them what was happening in the compound. They broke my son’s house. It was later that I heard that the meeting my son held with youths of Omuoko and other places was the cause of the problem.

“When I asked which meeting, they said it was an ADC meeting. They asked why my son did not join them instead of joining another party.

“They broke the house, set it on fire, and carried my mattress, television, fridge and generator. They broke other things, even my tap, and started shooting.”

Some tenants whose apartments and property were affected also recounted their experiences.

Advertisement

One of them, who asked not to be named for fear of being traced, said, “This thing happened around 2 am on Wednesday. They came and knocked on my door. I asked who they were and they said they were security men, so I opened the door.

“They asked where my landlord was. I told them he was not around. They started breaking the windows and doors. They then set fire to the building and started shooting.”

Another tenant, who operates a business on the premises, alleged that the assailants attacked him, stole money from him and manhandled his aged parents before setting the building ablaze.

“I operate a Point of Sale business. They took some of my money, and I have a four-month-old baby. I didn’t sleep. The place is burnt, and we don’t have anywhere to go to,” he said.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, in a video circulating on social media and seen by our correspondent, Thomas narrated how his house was allegedly set ablaze after he hosted a meeting of party members.

He said, “How old am I? Barely 30-something years. You want to kill me and hijack my system. It cannot work.

“Look at the level of damage done here. My tenant lives here with his wife. His second son is barely four months old. He does POS business. They collected his money, burnt part of the money and burnt my house too.

“My mother was beaten black and blue. On what grounds? For what?”

Advertisement

The Chairman of the Ikwerre Local Government Area, Charles Nwobodo, condemned the attack, describing it as unacceptable.

Nwobodo said that as soon as he was informed of the incident, he deployed his Chief Security Officer to the community for an on-the-spot assessment.

He assured residents that the council would work with security agencies to identify those behind the attack and ensure that they were brought to justice.

According to him, “This afternoon, my CSO called me about what happened in their community. I told him to go and find out what really happened.

Advertisement

“If it is political, as they said, I totally condemn that, where our people will lose their houses and other property in the name of politics.

“That is unacceptable in Ikwerre Local Government. Please, I need peace in Ikwerre Local Government. I don’t accept any form of violence, and people should do the right thing so that all of us can be safe.

“It is my responsibility as local government chairman to protect everybody in Ikwerre Local Government. But you also have to help me in terms of information and all that, so that I can act based on that.”

In a statement, the state ADC publicity secretary, Chizi Enyi, condemned what he described as a targeted attack on party members in the course of their lawful activities.

Advertisement

Enyi said the party’s governorship candidate and state chairman had visited the scene to assess the damage, while calling on the police and other security agencies to identify those behind the attack.

The statement read, “Our members have been threatened, intimidated and attacked for exercising their constitutional right to associate and participate in political activities.

“In the latest and particularly disturbing incident, the residence of our member, Mr Thomas Madubochi, was attacked in the early hours of Wednesday following a political meeting held the previous day.

“The premises were ransacked, property was looted, and the house was subsequently set ablaze. There are eyewitness accounts relating to the incident which should form part of a thorough investigation by the security agencies.”

Advertisement

Enyi said the ADC was a peaceful and law-abiding political party that neither advocated violence nor encouraged retaliation, reprisals or vigilantism.

“We shall continue to conduct our political activities peacefully and in accordance with the Constitution and laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“We call on the police and other security agencies to immediately carry out a thorough investigation into the attack on Mr Madubochi’s residence, including the ransacking and looting of the premises and its subsequent burning,” he added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

EFCC arraigns three in Ibadan over alleged N30m Canadian visa fraud

Published

on

By

ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad
ADVERTISEMENT
Zoom Ad

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned three persons before the Oyo State High Court in Ibadan over alleged forgery, uttering of documents and obtaining money by false pretence in connection with purported Canadian visa and travel arrangements valued at about N30 million.

The EFCC Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, disclosed the arraignments in a statement issued on Thursday, saying the suspects, Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo, Awotunde Olugbenga and Idowu Olugbemi Sunday, were separately arraigned by the Ibadan Zonal Directorate of the EFCC before Justice Olusola Adetujoye.

Motunrayo and Olugbenga faced a 47-count charge involving alleged fraud totalling N23.4 million, with the anti-graft agency accusing them of presenting themselves to unsuspecting victims as travel and immigration agents operating from Abuja.

According to the EFCC, the duo allegedly promised to facilitate Canadian visas and other travel arrangements for their victims but failed to fulfil the promises after collecting millions of naira.

Advertisement

The commission alleged that the defendants received N12.36 million from Oluwatobi Adeoluwa Iyanda and another N11.03 million from Oyewale Tunji Bello in connection with the purported visa arrangements.

The charges further alleged that the defendants forged Canadian visa documents purportedly issued by the Canadian government and subsequently presented the documents to their victims as genuine.

In one of the counts, the EFCC alleged that the defendants obtained N527,000 from Iyanda after falsely representing that they would secure a valid Canadian visa and flight ticket for him.

Another count accused them of forging a Canadian visa dated June 20, 2025, bearing Travel Document Number B011745448 and issued in Iyanda’s name.

Advertisement

The defendants pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

Following their pleas, EFCC counsel, Mohammed Abideen, urged the court to remand the defendants in a correctional facility and fix a date for trial.

However, their counsel, Jimoh Wasiu, told the court that bail applications had already been filed and urged the judge to grant the defendants bail pending the determination of the case.

Justice Adetujoye subsequently adjourned the matter until August 26, 2026, for hearing of the bail applications and ordered that the two defendants be remanded at the Agodi Correctional Centre, Ibadan.

Advertisement

In a separate case, the EFCC arraigned Idowu Olugbemi Sunday before Justice Adetujoye over the alleged N6.65 million fraud involving a purported promise to secure Canadian visas for Okanlawon Tunji Ajao and members of his family.

Sunday was brought before the court on a four-count charge bordering on forgery, uttering of documents and obtaining money by false pretence.

The EFCC alleged that between June 2025 and January 2026, the defendant obtained N6.65 million from Ajao after falsely representing that he had the capacity to secure Canadian visas for the victim and his family.

The defendant also pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Advertisement

EFCC counsel, Lanre Suleiman, thereafter asked the court to remand the defendant in a correctional centre and fix a date for trial.

Defence counsel, Tiwalade Shittu, informed the court that a bail application had been filed and appealed to the judge to grant his client bail on liberal terms.

Justice Adetujoye adjourned the case until August 26 for hearing of the bail application and ordered that Sunday be remanded at the Agodi Correctional Centre.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Naija Blitz News