News
Speaker Abbas Over Rule Bid to Drag Tinubu Before Reps, Warns the House Must Follow Approved Motion
- /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/images-17.jpeg&description=Speaker Abbas Over Rule Bid to Drag Tinubu Before Reps, Warns the House Must Follow Approved Motion', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/naijuinz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://naijablitznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/images-17.jpeg&description=Speaker Abbas Over Rule Bid to Drag Tinubu Before Reps, Warns the House Must Follow Approved Motion', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
By Gloria Ikibah
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, on Wednesday blocked an attempt by opposition lawmakers to introduce a fresh prayer seeking to summon President Bola Tinubu before the House over delays in releasing funds to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) for the implementation of the 2025 budget.
The move came during debate on a motion of urgent national importance sponsored by Rep. Alex Mascot Ikwechegh on the “Urgent need to address the poor funding of appropriated budgets and delayed releases to MDAs as revealed during the 2026 budget defence sessions.”
Although Ikwechegh had submitted a motion containing five prayers to the Speaker in line with the House Standing Orders, he introduced an additional prayer while presenting it on the floor, calling for President Tinubu to be invited to explain why appropriated funds had not been released for budget implementation.
The unexpected addition immediately drew objections, as Rep. Yusuf Gagdi moved to amend the proposal, arguing that rather than inviting the President, the House should summon the government officials directly responsible for managing the country’s finances.
His intervention was met with loud protests from some opposition lawmakers, prompting Speaker Abbas to intervene.
The Speaker ruled that the request to invite the President can not be entertained because it was never part of the motion formally submitted to the Chair.
Rebuking Ikwechegh, Abbas said:
“Hon. Mascot, you gave me a copy of your motion and what is contained on prayer five is that an ad hoc committee should be constituted to interact with the relevant agencies. So, it is wrong for you to attempt to bring in what is not contained here.
“Honourable colleagues, what Hon. Mascot read was a complete deviation from the motion he presented to me. Hon. Mascot, kindly bring out the motion you read out and let us see where the prayer to invite the president was included.”
The Speaker warned lawmakers against attempting to introduce new prayers after a motion had already been submitted for consideration.
“You cannot ambush the House. Bringing in extraneous materials into a duly submitted motion is not allowed. Hon. Mascot, honour begets honour and we should not be mischievous about what we do here,” Abbas cautioned.
Deputy Speaker, Rt. Hon. Benjamin Kalu also cited the House Standing Orders, reminding members that lawmakers can not disregard the very rules they enacted.
He urged members to conduct themselves in a manner befitting legislators, stressing that adherence to parliamentary procedure was essential to preserving the integrity of the House.
Following the rulings, Speaker Abbas put the motion to a voice vote, and it was adopted without the controversial prayer seeking the President’s appearance.
Earlier, while moving the motion, Ikwechegh argued that the slow release of appropriated funds had severely undermined implementation of the national budget.
He said: “House notes that Sections 80 and 81 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) vest the power of appropriation in the National Assembly, and that the credibility of the budget rests not on the size of the figures appropriated but on the fidelity and timeliness with which appropriated funds are released, cash-backed and utilised by Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs);
“Also notes that during the 2026 budget defence sessions, Honourable Ministers and heads of MDAs disclosed deeply troubling levels of funding of the 2025 budget, including sectors that recorded zero capital releases for the entire fiscal year and others that received only token fractions of their appropriated capital votes;
“Aware that these disclosures are consistent with the repeated protests staged in 2025 and early 2026 by indigenous contractors at the Federal Ministry of Finance and the gates of the National Assembly, on one occasion disrupting plenary sittings, over unpaid certificates for completed and verified projects, with many contractors unable to service bank loans obtained to execute government projects.
“Also aware that His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, at the Federal Executive Council meeting of 10 December 2025, expressed grave displeasure at the backlog, directed the immediate settlement of verified contractor liabilities of about One Point Five Trillion Naira, and constituted an inter-ministerial committee to harmonise records and deliver a lasting funding solution, declaring the readiness of government to borrow, if necessary, to settle verified obligations.
“Further aware that in furtherance of that directive, the National Assembly approved borrowing in excess of One Trillion Naira specifically to finance the settlement of outstanding obligations on completed and verified capital projects, in addition to dedicated provisions in the 2026 Appropriation Act for contractor liabilities, while the Honourable Ministers of Finance have announced the clearance of substantial sums, announcements which contractors dispute as partial.
“Concerned that notwithstanding the clear directive of Mr President, the legislative approvals and the ministerial assurances, releases to MDAs remain slow and uneven, stalling critical projects, escalating contract costs, exposing contractors to insolvency and rising non-performing loans, and eroding public trust in the budget.
“Disturbed by recent newspaper reportage of a Federal Treasury Circular dated 29 June 2026, issued by the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation, halting payments for Zonal Intervention and Constituency Projects unless a Certificate of Verification and Compliance is first obtained from the Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, a directive which, however well intentioned, introduces yet another layer of bureaucratic clearance at the very moment Mr President has demanded speed, and risks turning back the hands of the clock by subjecting duly appropriated, procured and executed projects to further delay.”
He urged the House to adopt a series of resolutions, saying:
“Accordingly resolves to: Commend Mr President for his directive on the immediate settlement of verified contractor liabilities, and urge its full, faithful and speedy implementation by all fiscal authorities;
“Urge the Federal Ministry of Finance, the Budget Office of the Federation, the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation and the Central Bank of Nigeria to prioritise the timely release and cash backing of appropriated funds, publish a clear schedule of releases for the 2026 fiscal year, and conclude the verification and settlement of all outstanding contractor liabilities within a defined and publicly communicated timeframe;
“Call on the fiscal authorities to apply the proceeds of the borrowing in excess of One Trillion Naira approved by the National Assembly strictly and expeditiously to the settlement of outstanding capital project obligations, and to render an account of such application to the National Assembly;
“Further urge the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation to urgently review the Federal Treasury Circular of 29 June 2026 and harmonise it with the directive of Mr President, by prescribing strict and short timelines for the issuance of the Certificate of Verification and Compliance, so that an accountability measure is not converted into an instrument of further delay, and invite the Accountant General of the Federation and the Honourable Minister of Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs to brief the relevant Committees on the circular;
“Constitute an Ad Hoc Committee to interface with the relevant fiscal authorities on the state of releases, the settlement of contractor liabilities and the utilisation of approved borrowings, and report back to the House within four (4) weeks for further legislative action, comprising the Chairman, Committee on Appropriations, as Chairman, and the following as Members: the Chief Whip of the House; the Minority Whip; the Chairman, Committee on Finance; the Chairman, Committee on Aids, Loans and Debt Management; the Chairman, Committee on Budget and National Planning; the Chairman, Committee on Public Accounts; the Chairman, Committee on Constituency Projects; and any other Member as may be approved by the Rt. Hon. Speaker.”
News
BREAKING: Tinubu Orders Arrest, Suspends Three Perm Secs Over Fake Agency in OSGF
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Buchi Nwabueze and directed the suspension of three permanent secretaries following the discovery of another allegedly fictitious agency operating within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF).
The suspended permanent secretaries are M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah.
Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), Dr Musa Aliyu (SAN), disclosed this on Friday while briefing State House correspondents after meeting with the President for the second time in two days.
Aliyu said the ICPC uncovered a purported office operating under the name National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office.
According to him, the office had allegedly been allocated space within the premises of the OSGF without presidential approval and in violation of established procedures and relevant laws governing the public service.
The ICPC chairman said the discovery was made in the course of the Commission’s ongoing investigation into the alleged Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC), which the commission had previously identified as a fictitious entity, as well as other procedural weaknesses within the public service.
“Upon further briefing by ICPC to Mr President on the ongoing investigations into the fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council and procedural weaknesses in the public service, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has uncovered another fake agency and office operating under the name National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, which has been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,” Aliyu said.
He said preliminary findings indicated that Nwabueze was behind the establishment and operation of the alleged fictitious office, with the assistance of suspected collaborators within the OSGF.
Aliyu further disclosed that investigators discovered that Nwabueze allegedly used multiple identities in the course of operating the organisation.
The ICPC chairman said the latest discovery had prompted further action by the Federal Government, including the suspension of the affected permanent secretaries and the directive for Nwabueze’s immediate arrest.
The development comes amid intensified scrutiny of government offices and procedures following the ICPC’s investigation into the alleged creation and operation of unauthorised agencies and offices within the Federal Government.
The Commission is expected to continue its investigation to establish the full extent of the alleged activities, identify other individuals who may have been involved and determine how the purported office secured access to government facilities.
News
Troops Rescue Four Borno Civilians Held by Boko Haram, ISWAP for Three Years
Troops of the Nigerian Army have rescued four civilians, including two women and two male minors, who were allegedly held captive by Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists for about three years in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State.
The victims were rescued at about 6am on Friday, August 21, during a search-and-rescue operation conducted by troops of the 123 Special Forces Battalion (Mobile).
The operation followed intelligence reports on the movement of suspected terrorist escapees around Kauwa village.
According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, the rescued civilians comprised two women, a teenage boy and another male minor.
Preliminary debriefing reportedly revealed that the victims were abducted from Mafa Local Government Area of Borno State about three years ago before being taken to the Dogon Chuku terrorist camp, where they remained in captivity until their rescue.
The sources said the victims were provided with food and subsequently profiled by the military after they were rescued.
They were later taken to the 19 Brigade Medical Centre for medical attention and are expected to be transferred to the Theatre Headquarters for further screening, assistance and rehabilitation.
The rescue operation is part of ongoing military efforts under Operation Hadin Kai and the Multinational Joint Task Force to locate civilians held in terrorist enclaves, disrupt insurgent networks and deny Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters freedom of movement in the Lake Chad region.
Security sources said the rescued civilians would undergo further screening and debriefing to gather information that could assist ongoing military operations and provide details about the activities and locations of terrorists operating in the area.
The operation also highlights the importance of intelligence-led missions in identifying movements around communities and areas suspected to have been infiltrated or controlled by terrorist groups.
Troops have continued to conduct clearance operations, patrols and targeted raids across parts of Borno State in an effort to disrupt terrorist logistics, dismantle their networks and rescue civilians trapped in insurgency-affected communities.
Boko Haram and ISWAP have continued to exploit remote settlements and difficult terrain around the Lake Chad Basin to launch attacks and hold civilians captive.
The rescued victims are expected to remain under military care while authorities establish the full circumstances surrounding their abduction and captivity and determine whether other civilians may still be held in terrorist camps in the area.
The identities of the rescued civilians have not been made public, while authorities have yet to provide further details about their condition beyond confirming that they are receiving medical attention.
News
Akpabio hails Tinubu over establishment of University of Technology In Akwa Ibom
President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio on Friday, thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for giving his approval, for the Bill establishing the Federal University of Agriculture and Technology, in Obio Akpa, Oruk Anam Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.
He also lauded Governor Umo Eno, for promptly releasing the Obio Akpa campus of the Akwa Ibom State University for the smooth take-off of the institution.
Akpabio gave the commendation at the funeral service in honour of former Majority Leader of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Late Hon.(Elder) Imo Akpan Ibokette.
A statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Jackson Udom quoted Akpabio as saying, ” I look forward to the admission of the first batch of the students into the Federal University of Agriculture and Technology, in this Senatorial District. Let me thank President Bola Tinubu for signing the bill which establised the University. Let me also thank our dear Governor, Pastor Umo Eno for also releasing a campus of the Akwa Ibom State University for the commencement of academic activities this year.
“Late Ibokette we are laying to rest today, was the first to call and thank me on hearing of the passage of the bill establishing the University. His death is a personal loss to me. The Ibokette’s family and I share an intimate affinity that spans decades. Even the weight of political differences did not attenuate the relationship we shared. So, I personally mourn his demise,”he stated.
The Funeral Service, in honour of the late lawmaker held at the Abak International Nursery/Primary School, in Abak Local Government Area and was conducted by the Apostolic Church Nigeria.
Akpabio described him as a patriot, selfless leader, loving father and a hardworking personality, who braced the odds in life to achieve what he achieved in life before his demise, saying, “he did his best and witnessed the uncommon transformation which he fought and worked for before his departure.”
-
News17 hours agoWatch moment FCT minister, Wike throws banters with Davido(Video)
-
Metro20 hours agoEFCC arraigns three in Ibadan over alleged N30m Canadian visa fraud
-
News20 hours agoAnother 83 Nigerians Evacuated From South Africa Amid Xenophobic Attacks Arrive In Lagos
-
News20 hours agoAdeleke visits Tinubu, presents certificate of return after Osun victory
-
News11 hours agoDSS warns of looming attacks on popular varsity
-
News10 hours ago100 Days in Captivity: Borno Families Demand Urgent Rescue of Abducted Children
-
News20 hours agoOsun poll: INEC vows to do better in 2027
-
News20 hours agoUS Pastor Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Child Abuse, Wife Convicted
